First game over - review and a few questions

• This is a brief (ha!) review of my first game followed with a few questions for Krieghund.

The Japan player was more experienced than the Allied player. We played until game completion which took 11 rounds. Japan eventually won after waiting 2 turns before attacking the Allies. The Japanese strategy was to crush China, crush India and then take Australia (counter-clockwise domination starting at about 12 o’clock). The Japanese reality was that China was crushed fairly easily (2+ rounds), India was much more difficult to get to than anticipated (6 rounds) and the 6th and final victory city ended up being Honolulu after America made a mistake. Without the mistake Japan was probably 2-3 turns away from taking Sydney.

First let me say that I liked the game very much. I think there’s a lot of different options out there for Japan and for the Allies. I think this will lead to interesting and different games each time. For me this is the hallmark of a good game. I really like the naval and air bases; they add movement complexity not found in previous versions. For instance, if you move 3 from a naval base to a Sea Zone that does not have a naval base (or one that does but you fail to capture the territory), your ships can’t get back in one turn. Great! I really like the new convoy rules, they are a game-manageable and proportional manifestation of convoy disruptions. I also really like not having game-ending technologies. The capital ships being repaired at a naval base is an interesting twist that I like very much. I especially like that if you attack with Aircraft Carriers in a Sea Zone with a friendly Naval Base and they receive damage, they aren’t immediately repaired. If on the next turn your opponent attacks the fleet, they are vulnerable.

As with others I am disappointed in not having a battle board but I will be requesting one soon. I too think we should have more tactical bombers. I ended up just using German fighters for mine, the different color made distinguishing them easier. I always take notes and record the IPCs on a spreadsheet so I have no qualms about the lack of paper money. The National Production Chart doesn’t go to 50? Sigh. Personally I would prefer plastic anti-aircraft pieces because these are moveable units and not structures. I forgot to move one twice in one game.

Despite the fact that in my first game Japan won, I think when I play it again it will be difficult for the Allies to lose. I base this on the fact that it is very difficult to get to 6 cities. If you get all of Asia, you still have to get either Sydney, Honolulu or San Francisco. This is a tall order. Japan is well positioned with a TON of planes, but it is still pretty difficult. I think a good Allied strategy would be to fall back, bide your time, build up and then wear them down. But still, I’ve only played it once, I think there’s a lot of options, and I’m reserving judgment.

I do have a few questions I was hoping Krieghund could answer. I apologize if these have been answered someplace else.

1. The set-up says Palau for Japan, is this the same as Paulau Island? I assumed it was one and the same.

2. Kamikazes: Do you place the 6 little cardboard pieces in Japan to keep track of how many are left, or are they intended to be placed in the 6 Kamikaze-able sea zones? Do you send a plane in for the Kamikaze attack, like any plane, be it fighter, tactical bomber, or bomber or are the pieces of cardboard “free Kamikaze planes”? If you have to use a plane, I assume that this plane is toast, and can’t be used again (duh, though I couldn’t find where this is explicitly written.) The Kamikaze is taken during the Allied players turn, either during combat phase or non-combat phase, correct? There is only a single round of combat, correct?

3. If the UK attacks Japan before the USA and Japan are at war, can Japan retaliate against the UK without provoking a war with USA?

4. Can China move units into UK-controlled Burma before the UK is at war with Japan? That is to say, if UK moves into China pre-war, this is considered an act of war and would trigger USA war-time economy, but is the reverse true?

5. Does Sea Zone 5 connect to Korea?

6. Scrambling: When you scramble fighters and tactical bombers, they are essentially flying over the Sea Zone. Just so you know I really like this concept, but it significantly changes the game; in previous versions if you wanted fighters defending a Sea Zone you were required to purchase an Aircraft Carrier. That being said, I remember some ambiguous language in the rule book (p. 14, first sentence of “Scramble”) that mentioned scrambling planes “on islands that have operative airbases,” but can they not be scrambled off the coast of Asia or Austrailia? What about New Guinea? Can an allied air base in Korea scramble into Sea Zone 6? Can scrambled planes in the Shan State be sent to one Sea Zone or can they be simultaneously scrambled to both? I expect not both. When you build an airbase, can planes immediately be scrambled or do you have to wait a turn to scramble them (similar to not dropping units in a newly purchased industrial complex)?

7. Convoys: Is there no convoy route in Sea Zone 38, west coat of Australia, or Alaska’s Sea Zone 2? I expect great thought was put into placing the convoy symbols, but I thought it wouldn’t hurt to check.

8. Let’s say that I have control of an island with an Air Field and I have empty carriers around it. Next let’s say that I have some fighters returning from battle, that are just able to make it to the Sea Zone but not the island itself, so they land on the carriers. Next, let’s say that my fleet is attacked and I absorb hits on my carriers. Next let’s suppose that the attacker retreats and my planes are able to land on the island. Do I have the option of scrambling these planes? Or do they have to land on the island and defend as a land unit?

Thanks and happy gaming!
    TCPJ

• Yep, that is the same basic Japanese strategy we are executing at the moment. But you said that taking one of those last 3 VCs is a tall order but there I’ll disagree. Yes, it might take some turns of just sitting and building up, but the issue should not be in doubt by that point. Once Japan has secured Asia she will be making 75 IPCs or so a turn. The US will likely be making 55 and Anzac 10-15. That, coupled with the better positioning and coordination for Japan (and likely more surviving forces on the board) mean that the game is probably effectively over once China is dead and India falls.

A few answers that I’ve seen already:

1. The set-up says Palau for Japan, is this the same as Paulau Island? I assumed it was one and the same.

Yes, the same.

1. If the UK attacks Japan before the USA and Japan are at war, can Japan retaliate against the UK without provoking a war with USA?

Yep, and note that the FAQ disallows the USA to enter territories of other Allied (but neutral) powers. So the US cant be sitting in Australia or Hong Kong etc.

• Official Q&A

Nice write-up.  I’m glad you enjoyed the experience.

@TexCapPrezJimmy:

Yes, it’s the same.

@TexCapPrezJimmy:

1. Kamikazes: Do you place the 6 little cardboard pieces in Japan to keep track of how many are left, or are they intended to be placed in the 6 Kamikaze-able sea zones? Do you send a plane in for the Kamikaze attack, like any plane, be it fighter, tactical bomber, or bomber or are the pieces of cardboard “free Kamikaze planes”? If you have to use a plane, I assume that this plane is toast, and can’t be used again (duh, though I couldn’t find where this is explicitly written.) The Kamikaze is taken during the Allied players turn, either during combat phase or non-combat phase, correct? There is only a single round of combat, correct?

You can either put the markers in Japan or in front of you on the table - wherever it’s convenient.  You use a kamikaze token for the attack, not a plane.  They are only used in reaction to an Allied combat movement, and each token is a single attack roll.

@TexCapPrezJimmy:

1. If the UK attacks Japan before the USA and Japan are at war, can Japan retaliate against the UK without provoking a war with USA?

Yes.

@TexCapPrezJimmy:

1. Can China move units into UK-controlled Burma before the UK is at war with Japan? That is to say, if UK moves into China pre-war, this is considered an act of war and would trigger USA war-time economy, but is the reverse true?

No.  A power may not move units into territories belonging to a power that is not at war (except to attack them).

@TexCapPrezJimmy:

1. Does Sea Zone 5 connect to Korea?

Yes.

@TexCapPrezJimmy:

1. Scrambling: When you scramble fighters and tactical bombers, their essentially flying over the Sea Zone. Just so you know I really like this concept, but it significantly changes the game; in previous versions if you wanted fighters defending a Sea Zone you were required to purchase an Aircraft Carrier. That being said, I remember some ambiguous language in the rule book (p. 14, first sentence of “Scramble”) that mentioned scrambling planes “on islands that have operative airbases,” but can they not be scrambled off the coast of Asia or Austrailia? What about New Guinea? Can an allied air base in Korea scramble into Sea Zone 6? Can scrambled planes in the Shan State be sent to one Sea Zone or can they be simultaneously scrambled to both? I expect not both. When you build an airbase, can planes immediately be scrambled or do you have to wait a turn to scramble them (similar to not dropping units in a newly purchased industrial complex)?

Air units may only be scrambled from islands.  An island is a single territory surrounded by a single sea zone.  Scrambling is done on the enemy’s turn as a reaction to combat movement, so you can use the air base for that purpose immediately after you capture it (assuming it’s operative).

@TexCapPrezJimmy:

1. Convoys: Is there no convoy route in Sea Zone 38, west coat of Australia, or Alaska’s Sea Zone 2? I expect great thought was put into placing the convoy symbols, but I thought it wouldn’t hurt to check.

No.

@TexCapPrezJimmy:

1. Let’s say that I have control of an island with an Air Field and I have empty carriers around it. Next let’s say that I have some fighters returning from battle, that are just able to make it to the Sea Zone but not the island itself, so they land on the carriers. Next, let’s say that my fleet is attacked and I absorb hits on my carriers. Next let’s suppose that the attacker retreats and my planes are able to land on the island. Do I have the option of scrambling these planes? Or do they have to land on the island and defend as a land unit?

You may scramble them.  As I pointed out above, scrambling is done on your enemy’s turn, not on yours.

• I’m getting sick of people saying that this game is unwinnable as the allies, what bollocks! Yes japan can take India and China without much trouble but getting to Australia and other places will be quite hard if the US player moves his starting pieces effectively. Also the US player cannot waste money on troops and transports early, they must build Carriers and planes like crazy, with a sprinkling of destroyers to combat subs. If you take the seas you can choke Japan’s economy by bloking convoy routes. You must do this if you want to win the game, don’t piss around with land forces until you ahnilate their navy and own the ocean.

• This is a very nice review of your game.  Thanks for sharing.  It appears to me your questions have all been answered.

I am curious how folks are playing China.  Are they turtling up to protect the Flying Tigers or are they acting with some aggression?  Second, are folks buying lots of boots in India and sending them toward Burma along with their AA gun?  I suspect a strategy aimed at resisting Japanese occupation as long as possible will help and aggression by the Allies is ill advised.

One feature I find disappointing is that the ANZAC fellows have a hard time building up a worthy fighting force.  It is even too expensive to buy a single destroyer to sacrifice in a “destroyer stall” move.  Yes, I know ANZAC makes 10 IPC and a DD is only 8 IPC.  I’m just saying ANZAC can’t afford to lose 8 IPC except in the most dire situation where the US is coming to the rescue.

This section of the Board is getting quite a bit of action this month.

• Thanks for the write up it was very nice to read someone Else’s experience on their first full game.  I played a half game already and enjoyed it very much.  Its like going to from light speed to ludicrous speed  :-D (without hitting the emergency brake and denting your helmet)  :lol:  Cant wait to play the full version this summer!

• Update: Japan is very strong. Japan going straight for India is difficult to manage for the allies. I’m currently trying to formulate an effective defense. Everyone to Mali with a minor IC? Is India the new USSR and go all infantry?

• Yes, Japan is very strong, but we are starting to develop Allied counters. A lot of Allied strategy depends on when Japan attacks. Either the US or the UK will be bigger players depending if they attack early or late IME.

The primary thing for the US is the San Fran/Pearl/Australia/DEI chain. Keep that flowing and Japan will have a tough time. The Anzacs can also easily threaten the DEI (1 move from the Aussie naval base). This leads to 1-2 punches where the US clears out a Japanese cover force and the Anzacs sprint in for a quick invasion of one (or more) of the islands.

The UK depends completely on what Japan does. Japan has the capacity to corner and kill the Brit fleet fairly easily, but doing so will swing them totally out of position to oppose US/Anzac raids on the DEI. If Japan does come for the RN, your goal is to pull them all the way over to India. Dont oblige the Japanese by coming out to fight. If the Japanese wait for a few turns, I think minimal fleet additions (DDs for screening, SSs for spreading out Japanese DDs) are OK but yeah, for the most part it’s massive of conscripted Indian troops. You have plenty of planes to give offensive firepower.

We’ve also taken to having the Brits bring the AA gun with them (it’s like the Ark of the Covenant or something - the Japanese are afraid to attack it! :p ). This discourages Japanese attacks of a few troops and 8-10 planes. They can still do it, but it might be costly!

• i have played about 7 games so far with each other alternating as axis or allies…

score Allies 4 Japan 3

my record 5 wind 2 losses…

oh well  nobody’s prefect…oh i mean perfect

:lol:

• Official Q&A

@Krieghund:

@TexCapPrezJimmy:

1. Does Sea Zone 5 connect to Korea?

Yes.

Correction:  Sea zone 5 does not connect to Korea.  This is a map mistake, and it will be corrected in the errata.

• @Krieghund:

Correction:  Sea zone 5 does not connect to Korea.  This is a map mistake, and it will be corrected in the errata.

So you tell me that I buy a $ 100 game, and actually need to take a pencil and correct my $ 100 map ?

• @Razor:

@Krieghund:

So you tell me that I buy a $ 100 game, and actually need to take a pencil and correct my $ 100 map ?

But, on the bright side, WOTC is now selling pencils. For $100.

• Is it a game breaker to leave it connected to Korea? 
    IE, I’d just assume leave my nicely printed map as is.

• @valthonis:

Is it a game breaker to leave it connected to Korea?

According to  this topic  it is  :-P

• I think it was obvious that it was a misprint on the map. There is only a little snippet, the second I saw it I knew that was not right.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m