One more question for Krieghund (Thank You In Advance)

• Situation: 4 US carriers with 2 fighters each, defending in a sea zone against an attacking Japanese force (composition uninportant), with no US territories or islands adjacent.

Round one, the US side suffers, lets say, 3 hits.

Is it legal to take one hit each against three of the 4 US carriers, even though this means that should the US side suffer no additional hits for the rest of the battle, 3 of the 4 carriers will not be able to land their fighters?

The point is, when you move aircraft, you have to move in such a way as to always have a “legal landing solution”. Do you have to maintain this “legal landing solution” during combat? Can you take hits in such a manner as to make a safe landing unfeasable? (like when you are facing an overwhelming opponent and you want you inflict the most possible damage)

I hope this makes sense! :-)

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

That should have no bearing, because you are not in control.

It’s all about “reasonable assumptions” and reasonably you can assume that all units will die. So you are in full command to make the decision without restriction.  in a sense “Kamikaze” defending yourself. to get more hits.

The rule is that if you move your aircraft they have to land, not if you didn’t move and the carrier underneath them is lost, that you have to land.

Again there are NO controls on what units must be lost, with the exception of sub and aa hits.

IMO anyway.

• I think you are legally kamikazi-ing your fighters then.

• Official Q&A

Gargantua and Tavenier are correct.  It’s your choice whether or not you want to maintain your carriers as landing spaces.  You only have to have a possible landing space when you make your combat movements (and you can assume you will roll all hits and your opponent will roll all misses).  At any rate, that rule applies only to the attacker, not the defender.

One thing to be aware of in this situation is that if you do take the hits on your carriers and your planes are stranded, your opponent can just retreat.  That’s a pretty expensive strafe.  Avoiding this vulnerability is part of what makes air and naval bases so useful.

• Thanks to all, I appreciate it.  8-)

Great timing on the answers too!

I just talked to a buddy of mine in Dayton, and I will be going back there tonight to start another 24+ hour AAP40 game-a-thon session. (many a glass o’ suds will be enjoyed as well! :-D )

This time with an air & naval base in the PI and only a minor complex in Australia. :-)

Maybe I should hurry up and paint the tails of some of my spare Japanese fighters red now, so we have enough Japanese TAC air (we used the Italian fighters last game day).

• Maybe I should hurry up and paint the tails of some of my spare Japanese fighters red now, so we have enough Japanese TAC air (we used the Italian fighters last game day).

We are using spare Russian fighters from an A&AE edition. Our convention is Russian fighters are Tac Air for the IJA and we use the Vals for the Tac Air for the IJN. It works out pretty well. :)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m