• @avidvan:

A couple people have mentioned taking Honolulu on J1.  As I look at the board it doesn’t seem like any Japanese planes can get there and safely land.  Even with all 3 transports, it doesn’t seem realistic to expect 5 japanese land units to kill the American force there (1 bomber, 2 inf, 1 tac, 1 ftr).

Any comments?

If you have your aircraft assault the inland you should only lose 2 land units

• I hope you have some sort of plan after J1, because someone with 50+ ipc will be at range

I think that people are taking the game sperately. You have to think bigger than this. First few rounds are important, yes. But you are making a thread about “I heard people saying that we should do Hawaii first turn” without much analysing the impact on the board, and what will happen after? Will Japan use it as a base to strike America? Will Japan use it to land aircraft and to mass a fleet to prevent USA from leaving WUS? What are your other moves? etc etc.

Its absolutely pointless to speak about a separate battle

• '19

you can certainly take it but you cant reach with any planes.  Yeah makes things a little trickier.  Even though your ships can travel three spaces you cant easily assault targets from 3 spaces away cuz you get no air support.

• @Omega:

I hope you have some sort of plan after J1, because someone with 50+ ipc will be at range

I think that people are taking the game sperately. You have to think bigger than this. First few rounds are important, yes. But you are making a thread about “I heard people saying that we should do Hawaii first turn” without much analysing the impact on the board, and what will happen after? Will Japan use it as a base to strike America? Will Japan use it to land aircraft and to mass a fleet to prevent USA from leaving WUS? What are your other moves? etc etc.

Its absolutely pointless to speak about a separate battle

i agree. Even if japan takes hawaii, then what?
    UK takes over south-east asia, anzacs take east-indies, china the shore, and US isn’t even dead!

• I prefer J2 attacking.

In my game last night, I was Japan. J1 I split up my navy sending some ships down to sz36 and the majority of my navy to Caroline Islands with 2 trannies carrying 1inf/1art, 1inf/1tank, and the trannie in Caroline grabbing 1inf off of Palau. I took 4 territories in China including Yunan, and took FIC. I also flew extra planes and bomber down to Caroline. (If I remember right Caroline had 2 carriers each w/ 1fig 1 tac, 1 battleship, 2 destroyers, 1 sub, 1 cruiser, Islands had 1 bomber, 2 tac, 2 figs, 4inf, 1 art, 1 tank).

Settling on Caroline Islands that turn just really makes allies have to make choices. ANZAC sent their 3 ships to sz46 and landed 1inf on New Guinea.

The UK took Celebes and Java each w/ 1inf, left trannies undefended. Left Battleship, Destroyer, Cruiser at Malaya. He moved all his figs and his tac bomber to Shan State along with 3 infantry, moved ground units in India to Burma.

USA was like, “WTF”, and just moved all their navy to Hawaii along with 1inf and 1 tank, moved 1 bomber to Hawaii, moved 1 bomber to Queensland.

China attcked Yunan but couldn’t retake it and all attackers and defenders where killed. Japan held on.

Then J2 I blew up Hawaii navy and took islands, blew up all british ships, blew up ANZAC ships, blew up all British aircraft and units in SHan State, took Hong Kong, and reinforced Yunan. It was game over basically. In 3 turns I took Calcutta and USA never retook Hawaii (I added ships there thruought game)

• @bigopfer:

I prefer J2 attacking.

In my game last night, I was Japan. J1 I split up my navy sending some ships down to sz36 and the majority of my navy to Caroline Islands with 2 trannies carrying 1inf/1art, 1inf/1tank, and the trannie in Caroline grabbing 1inf off of Palau. I took 4 territories in China including Yunan, and took FIC. I also flew extra planes and bomber down to Caroline. (If I remember right Caroline had 2 carriers each w/ 1fig 1 tac, 1 battleship, 2 destroyers, 1 sub, 1 cruiser, Islands had 1 bomber, 2 tac, 2 figs, 4inf, 1 art, 1 tank).

Settling on Caroline Islands that turn just really makes allies have to make choices. ANZAC sent their 3 ships to sz46 and landed 1inf on New Guinea.

The UK took Celebes and Java each w/ 1inf, left trannies undefended. Left Battleship, Destroyer, Cruiser at Malaya. He moved all his figs and his tac bomber to Shan State along with 3 infantry, moved ground units in India to Burma.

USA was like, “WTF”, and just moved all their navy to Hawaii along with 1inf and 1 tank, moved 1 bomber to Hawaii, moved 1 bomber to Queensland.

China attcked Yunan but couldn’t retake it and all attackers and defenders where killed. Japan held on.

Then J2 I blew up Hawaii navy and took islands, blew up all british ships, blew up ANZAC ships, blew up all British aircraft and units in SHan State, took Hong Kong, and reinforced Yunan. It was game over basically. In 3 turns I took Calcutta and USA never retook Hawaii (I added ships there thruought game)

bomber isn’t allowed to land in queensland without DoC i think. Couldn’t US just go away from hawaii and/or reinforce with new western US fleet?

• No, US units can’t land on ANZAC/British lands if not at war.

If you take Hawaii on J1 then you do get a NO of 5. You can also destroy the British BB + 2 tran so you prevent Britain from gaining DEI. Also destroy US ships at Manila port. And you can still grab 4 Chinese lands and FIC, so your income will increase from 26 to 38.

US can make a counter attack, but you’ll probably survive and next turn everything will be repaired because of the Hawaii NB. Then take PI and move trannies (newly build) towards DEI.

• Well we didn’t know that about no USA anything anywhere in UK/ANZAC. I knew they couldn’t go to Dutch territories or FIC.

But what I’m saying is if you wait to attack on J2 you can strike many places with a good navy and some transports from Caroline Islands. Australia, Hawaii, Phillipines, Kwangtung, Celebes, Java, and Borneo. And during turn 1 UK won’t get all their East Indies. Anzac won’t get Dutch New Guinea, US would only keep 5 bonus for Phillipines and be forced to move their navy somewhere to either counter Japan or stop Japan. I think attacking J2 instead of J1 just makes the allies play into your hands.

Off topic: Where can I read about gaining/losing karma points? Thanks!

• @Jake:

You can ignore the US transport
    and use 2 BB and 1 CRU to do the shore bombing.
    On average rolls, Japan gets Hawaii with 1 surviving unit (tank).

Not true, since there is an airbase US can declare the tac fighter is defending the SZ, no more bombard.  Not saying that would be a good idea, just saying it could happen.

• Hawaii on round 1 is a pretty dicey proposition.

With no shore shot hits, the odds are about 20% of taking the Island.
    If one shore shot hits, you are at 41%. 
    If two shore shots hit, you are at 76%. 
    Yes, you can get a third shot, but I would count on three hits. 
    This assumes that you attach the Islands with all three transports including 3 infantry, 1 artillery and 1 tank (max 5 units since you only have 1 at Caroline)
    Bottom line is that you need to be fairly lucky to take Hawaii round 1. 
    I think the payoff is huge, but I can’t reccomend building your strategy around something that has such a high chance of failure.

If you fail badly (brick) then the counter attack could be pretty ugly.  The US has 8 planes that can reach along with 5 ships.  That is 13 total units.  You have (If I recall correctly) 15 total units that can reach, including 6 carrier aircraft.  You will likely win.  However, since they will be getting a check for $62, they can afford the losses, but you probably cannot.  You gained nothing on round 1 except a few territories in China.

Too much of a crap shoot for my tastes.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m