"…and now we're hating on cardboard!?"

• First off, +5 to Canuck12 for a well written article.

Reply #4
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=15937.0#msg531964

I had this in mind while setting up my AAP40 for the first time.

I looked at the 4 cardboard chits (AAgun, MJIC, Navel Base, Air Base) at India and said to myself, “Self, these look fine and sit nice together. The cardboard is ok.”
     Then latter, something dastardly happened…a Strategic Bombing Raid!  I attempted to pick up the cardboard chit to place some chips under it. Alas, it was not to be.

The cardboard chit is cut from the top of the sheet, making the cross section of it a trapezoid. It is tapered, not square cut, proving difficult to pick up while laying flat on the map.

I flipped the Naval Base upside-down and tried again…this time with much success. My thumb could push on the tapered edge to lift the little square chit and allow my finger to lift it.

The roundels suffer the same problem.

If there were not chips to be put under the cardboard chits, then that would be fine.

Plastic pieces would be easier to pick up and place chips underneath. Thicker cardboard would help…OR…if the manufacturer had die cut the cardboard from the back, then pushing on the tapered edge would act as an fulcrum to lift the cardboard chit.

Canuck12, I like what you wrote, but I am leaning toward ‘hating on cardboard’.

I liked:
    —nice BIG map (This is the biggest most important thing I liked!)

—setup cards as part of the box tops (only used for setup and not the rest of the game)

—that there still were individual boxes for each country (did not have to buy Plano boxes)

—glad the IPC are gone (too many money errors using paper money vs. writing it down)

----that the map folds (I know some hate that the folds cause some of the pieces to sit funny, but the most of the fold lines are near borders and the areas are large enough to accommodate those pieces away from the fold in the map. A folded map work for years of play with the 2nd edition and is not a fragile hinge like Revised.)

I disliked:
    —too few dice and chip (I did not open the chip/dice bag for Revised, AA50, or AAP40. I use my own.)

—too few Tactical Bombers for Japan.

• WOTC just supplyed you with the basic components. You need to do some effort yourselves if you want a playable game.

First of all, you must take two National Tokens and glue them together, then they will be thicker and easyer to pick up, and they will have a symbol on both sides, so it will be easyer to spot the correct National Token that you need, in the tray.

You can do this with the facility cardboard too, but then you need to buy another copy of the game, or be short of facilities. Or you can glue each Facility Token to a plastic chip or a cardboard chip. Go look in your basement, I am pretty sure your daddy got something you can use.

As far as the AA-gun cardboard is concerned, just buy the A&A 42 game and use the plastic pieces AA-guns. Then you can use the plastic piece factories too, just print a number on them, or glue the IC cardboard to the plastic factory.

Now dont think just do what I told you, and be happy. No karma’s please.

• @Razor:

WOTC just supplyed you with the basic components. You need to do some effort yourselves if you want a playable game.

As far as the AA-gun cardboard is concerned, just buy the A&A 42 game and use the plastic pieces AA-guns. Then you can use the plastic piece factories too, just print a number on them, or glue the IC cardboard to the plastic factory.

I ain’t doing dat!

• Lose the cardboard, WOTC.

• '17 '16 Customizer

I hate the cardboard.  :x Much prefer the plastic AA gun and IC pieces. As much as I paid for this game, it should be plastic pieces as w/ all the other games.

• I like the fact that the AA, industry, and base units are flat but not the fact that they are cardboard.  At the very least, they should be plastic or ceramic with a thickness sufficient to pick it up easily.

• They could have been made like the city pieces in the game civilization shown here:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m