• That will only work if UK doesn’t grab the indies, else UK would have the same income as Japan!

• @Imperious:

What if japan just kills China for the first 3 turns and gets in position for American entry by a large pile of pieces right off FIC, then India would fall on turn 4-5.

Japan kills one enemy at a time knocking out 2 before turn 6, then the showdown with USA?

I have played 2 games as Japan and from what I have seen, their is really no reason to attakc early unless the allies make some huge mistake, like the US puts its whole fleet in Hawwai and you have enough units in range to kill it all.

Any decent attack in the south pacific take 2 to 3 turns to set up anyways.

• @Imperious:

What if japan just kills China for the first 3 turns and gets in position for American entry by a large pile of pieces right off FIC, then India would fall on turn 4-5.

Japan kills one enemy at a time knocking out 2 before turn 6, then the showdown with USA?

ANZAC and Britain can attack when they want. So you will have to be very careful where you put your trannies and stuff. And America can deploy where they want, if Japan has most of their units in the west. But it is worth to try, I think.

And indeed, Britain’s income will skyrocket (37 after UK2) and ANZAC will have 15. Britain could build a fig and 9 inf!

• @Tavenier:

And indeed, Britain’s income will skyrocket (37 after UK2) and ANZAC will have 15. Britain could build a fig and 9 inf!

yah UK is really powerful if you let them control the dutch indies

• full attack on J1
    UK loses battleship, you can put IC on kwantung earlier, phillipine bomber, US transport and allto of other stuff

• And then you face a US with more income that you posses, a fleet that is only half your size but still a significant force, plus 3 other enemies.

• @Vareel:

And then you face a US with more income that you posses, a fleet that is only half your size but still a significant force, plus 3 other enemies.

first of all, US fleet is a fraction of japanese and it would take about 153 rounds for US fleet is same size of japanese, with US income of 55 and japanese of 40
    anzacs can’t do thing entire game
    lock burma road, and you killed chine
    UK gets about 1 inf a round (lock the convoy)

• @Frontovik:

full attack on J1
    UK loses battleship, you can put IC on kwantung earlier, phillipine bomber, US transport and allto of other stuff

I haven’t actually played a game yet (hoping for two next week), so this is all still speculation, but it makes sense to me.

I would much rather have a factory at Malaya than Kwangtung. It is closer to India and Australia, and has the capacity for a major factory. Japan waits until J2 or J3 for an attack, which keeps the U.S. at a lower income and allows Japan to hit China harder. Then the Malaya factory is used to hit India, China’s southern territories, valuable islands, and maybe even ANZAC.

• @Frontovik:

@Vareel:

And then you face a US with more income that you posses, a fleet that is only half your size but still a significant force, plus 3 other enemies.

first of all, US fleet is a fraction of japanese and it would take about 153 rounds for US fleet is same size of japanese, with US income of 55 and japanese of 40
    anzacs can’t do thing entire game
    lock burma road, and you killed chine
    UK gets about 1 inf a round (lock the convoy)

Burma road can have over 15 allied units on it at the end of turn 2, burma road will be HARDER to close with an early war declaration.  US navy should be comparable within 2 turns of collecting the large income as the only thing she has to buy is boats, while japan is buying transports, factories, men, etc.

• US navy should be comparable within 2 turns of collecting the large income as the only thing she has to buy is boats, while japan is buying transports, factories, men, etc

Are you kidding? Every time the US buys a CV its 37 IPCs to fully outfit it. For the Japanese, its 16. Japan has soooo many aircraft lying around that she can’t even effectively use them all. You can easily pull 3-4 ‘sets’ off the board to form the airgroups for the CVs.

Even that aside, the US will certainly need more than 2 turns to come anywhere NEAR parity. Assuming Japan spends 10-20 a turn on ground forces that still leaves 25-30 or so a turn (more later) for naval and air forces. The US makes 55 after the fall of PI therefore the US is making up 20-25 per turn. Believe me, Japan has WAY more than a 40-50 IPC edge in starting forces…

Once Japan’s income begins to rival the US income its over. By doing, Britain is largely out of the war and the Anzacs have a tough time mounting any form of a credible threat.

• And America can deploy where they want, if Japan has most of their units in the west.

With the FAQ, this does not appear to be the case. From what I can tell, the US cannot put units in any ‘neutral’ country (which would include the UK/Anzac territories). Assuming Japan is smart, even stacking a navy with a future ally (if allowed) doesnt really help because Japan can simply choose to attack the UK/Anzac forces and ignore the US forces.

• Please see my new post about playing the game as the Allies (lost) 1 on 1 with a familiar opponent, without national objectives.

• J1 we just did the following:

Took New South Wales (+15 for taking capital and 10 in Anz’s bank)
    Took the Philippines (+2)
    Took Kwangtung (+3)
    Took Shan State (+1)
    Killed UK Fleet in 37 w/4 Hvy Bombers (Lost 1)
    Took 4 in China (Yunnan, Hunan, Anhwe, Chahar) (+4)

All of this cost me 3 Inf, Tac Bomber, Heavy Bomber.
    Allies lost 10 Inf, Hvy bomber, fighter, 2 destroyers, 4 transports, battleship.

This put Japan to 38 IPCs and the +5 for taking a capital, and the 10 in anzac’s bank = $53 for 2nd turn buy.

UK is down 4

Anzac cannot place, has no money.

US is down 2 for the Phil’s and loses the bonus. (net -7 US)

5 zeros from japan moved to carolines, good luck taking it on first turn with 1 US trans in hawaii.

Tell me how this game is at all playable?

• How did you get NSW on J1? I dont have the game in front of me but I dont think anything can even get there in one turn let alone be able to attack effectively. IIRC, Japan has only 1 Inf in the Carolines and clearly nothing else could be in range.

Are you playing an an alternate set up or something or am I just mis-remembering the map/set up?

• I can also see only one inf that can attack the 1 inf on NSW. Your ships must fight the DD in the NSW seazone, so no coastal bombardement. So that’s a big gamble. And ANZAC can take it back easily, your fleet is in danger and US can land there, since everyone is at war.

• @MaherC:

J1 we just did the following:

Took New South Wales (+15 for taking capital and 10 in Anz’s bank)
    Took the Philippines (+2)
    Took Kwangtung (+3)
    Took Shan State (+1)
    Killed UK Fleet in 37 w/4 Hvy Bombers (Lost 1)
    Took 4 in China (Yunnan, Hunan, Anhwe, Chahar) (+4)

All of this cost me 3 Inf, Tac Bomber, Heavy Bomber.
    Allies lost 10 Inf, Hvy bomber, fighter, 2 destroyers, 4 transports, battleship.

This put Japan to 38 IPCs and the +5 for taking a capital, and the 10 in anzac’s bank = $53 for 2nd turn buy.

UK is down 4

Anzac cannot place, has no money.

US is down 2 for the Phil’s and loses the bonus. (net -7 US)

5 zeros from japan moved to carolines, good luck taking it on first turn with 1 US trans in hawaii.

would change your plan a bit
    with UK navy a fig from formosa can reach, so you don’t lose bomber
    and use inf from carlonis to celebes, but you prefer gambling at NSW ;)

• Regardless whether or not Japan can take new south wales on the first turn or not,  they can decimate every other allied area on the first turn.  So back to the question, how can the allies do anything on the first turn but turtle and lose.  Not to mention most of the allied transports are dead, and the allies cannot take any extra income on the first turn?  The US cannot even take the Caroline islands with 5 jap fighters there.

• @Cruizer:

So back to the question, how can the allies do anything on the first turn but turtle and lose.

They can block. UK got 3 warships and ANZAC one, and if you move one ship into each sezone from Malya to New Guine, then Japan must end his move in this line. This will slow down his speed, and give the Allies time to regroup.

• @Imperious:

This sounds about right –more or less with the game we played and option analysis.  Pretty linear strategy though, however this will change with the global game- should have more options depending on what other powers do.

• @MaherC:

J1 we just did the following:

Took New South Wales!

At first glance it appears the Allies are in serious trouble.  ANZAC can retake NSW on their turn, correct?  They have four fighters, two infantry and an artillery so that should work.  I am in the middle of a game right now and I don’t want to set this up right away.  I haven’t tried a J1 attack yet.  In my games I had my way with China on J1 but nobody is surprised to hear that.  Can you really get all this with statstically normal results?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m