• @Razor:

I think the rules are streamlined. It will not make sence to have different rules to neutrals in Europe and neutrals in Asia. Anyway, what happens when a neutral with several territories is attacked by a Great Power ? I guess the minor neutral dont have enough military power to counter-attack the aggressor. The neutral milits/insurgents/Homeguard just have to sit and wait in their own territory, and protect their homes. Yes, this is what actually happens.

I love the neutrals rule.

Think about Greece: they were neutral and got attacked by italians. Greeks pushed back italians to Albania and germans had to come in rescue of italians. So I’d say use UK units in case Greece survives a italian attack

Yeah, Greece probably is going to be only 1 territory, but it has no sense UK attacking Sahara, Angola or whatever and Spain or Portugal not doing nothing about. If allies attacked any spanish territory, you can bet Franco was going to retaliate and join axis

You know, is very odd when AI attacks Azors in TripleA, big world map, and Portugal stays merrily neutral  :|

• This Mongolian thing does not make sence. It is still a nation and to attack it the other “parts don’t just sit around and wait to die”

Neutrals would be entirely activated once the border is crossed. Their is nothing in any History book that says they would act like some city state society where some cities are at war and the others are just watching movies.

I really hope this is not a new tradition for other neutrals.

• Yep, Mongolia was a commie state in 1940, not some sort of tribal alliance. No Gengis Khan from XIIIth century in WWII  :lol: I agree, IL

• yeah yeah yeah, you are both correct, now lets move on.

What I cannot find in the Rulebook (big surprice) is what kind of units will pop up in Mongolia after Japan attack it. Will Mongolia use US infantry or UK infantry ? And what if US and UK infantry are present in China, in territories adjacent to Mongolia, and after being allied with Mongolia, they want to move in, wich is completely legal too. How do I tell the difference between the US inf that are representing the neutral, and wich are not allowed to move, and the regulare US infantry that may move ? I must remember who are who ? Or put a National token under one of them ?

• I think the reason behind this is very simple, just who exactly is supposed to control the neutrals’ movement? Think about it, if Japan attacks Mongolia for instance, the allied player, caring nothing about the state of Mongolia would just love this so he can activate all the units and use them as free cannon fodder. Yeah the reason for neutrals not being activated or moved is simple, we as players would take advantage of that. Plus we would have to make a turn for neutrals, track their moves, have a control marker or a different colored unit and all this other stuff that would make the came hopelessly complicated with the materials we have at our disposal. I like the rule because at least now you can invade if you want, but instead of a monetary penalty you now have to fight and it is simple and uncomplicated. That is what we all want, right guys?

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

@maverick_76:

I think the reason behind this is very simple, just who exactly is supposed to control the neutrals’ movement? Think about it, if Japan attacks Mongolia for instance, the allied player, caring nothing about the state of Mongolia would just love this so he can activate all the units and use them as free cannon fodder. Yeah the reason for neutrals not being activated or moved is simple, we as players would take advantage of that. Plus we would have to make a turn for neutrals, track their moves, have a control marker or a different colored unit and all this other stuff that would make the came hopelessly complicated with the materials we have at our disposal. I like the rule because at least now you can invade if you want, but instead of a monetary penalty you now have to fight and it is simple and uncomplicated. That is what we all want, right guys?

For the OOB rules? Yep. Plus, as an added benefit it gives us something new to build on for house rules. I agree, it’s what I want.

• @maverick_76:

Yeah the reason for neutrals not being activated or moved is simple, we as players would take advantage of that

No, that cannot be the reason, there are more exploits in the game, and you cannot call that a exploit anyway: attacking a neutral must have some sort of penalty or we are going to see Switzerland attacked each game

The simplest way would be give the other side the whole country. In case of Mongolia USSR would be the best option (both due history and gameplay) and the 2nd better China (well, at least if there were no fancy walls  :-P). Since none of both are available, the best option would be making Mongolia fully impassable in AAP40 and only attackable in global game, giving mongolian units to USSR (and to Japan if allies attack). A table for other neutrals would be nice. Ex:

• Spain + colonies: axis attacks -> USSR controls; allies attack -> Germany controls
    • Portugal + colonies: UK/Germany
    • Greece: UK/Italy
    • Sweden: UK/Germany
    • Mongolia: USSR/Japan
    • Switzerland: UK/Germany
    • Turkey: UK/Germany
    • Argentina: USA/Germany
    • Mexico: USA/Japan

And so on …  :-)

• @Razor:

How do I tell the difference between the US inf that are representing the neutral, and wich are not allowed to move, and the regulare US infantry that may move ? I must remember who are who ? Or put a National token under one of them ?

No need of making diferences. It’s the same with Australia and New Zealand troops: both are ANZAC, or Germany and Finland in global game: both are “german”. It’s going to be very ugly using UK/ANZAC/USA units for Mongolia, but fancy wall forces us to that choice  :|

• What you said makes no sense, they are neutral because they were not controlled by anyone or had an alliegance during the war! They only cared about what was happening inside their own borders, and why exactly would anyone want to attack switzerland, it is nothing but mountains! If there would be any IPC value it would be only 1, WHOOPEEE!

• You need attacked neutrals joining some side or some short of “dungeon master” player that moves the neutrals. A dummie neutral that can only defend is a new edition of that joke I call ACME wall  :|

They are going to join some side or we would get neutral pieces … the other solution would be a victorious defending neutral would recieve magically its starting units after the attack. Also odd … the best and simpler solution is joining the whole neutral power to opposite side that attacked in first place

As for neutrals caring only for inner affairs, not true: you can take example on Spain, that was about to join axis in late 1940. Also South America, that probably will start neutral, needs some rule to join allies as they did in real world. Switzerland needs some monster defense or simply being impassable or we are going to have it invaded all the games as TripleA AI does  :roll:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m