• '10

There have been a lot of posts about the japanese godzilla in AA50. While it is true that japan grows to a 60+ IP monster in most games my contention is that japan cannot  singlehandedly decide the outcome of the game.

Against a competent US player japan can never take America and the westward push to Europe always seems to be thwarted by logistics and too few units reaching the middle east, moscow and africa in time to save germany. Should russia fall it it usually by a combined axis or mainly german effort. I have been involved in several games where japan gets to this level w/both tech and non tech and peters out. In one instance japan took russia before germany fell, was at 90 IP and still lost with no decisive pacific battles.

I am curious if anyone has made similar observations or has any comments regarding this. If I am missing anything with japan I’d like to know so I could possibly improve my play

• It is interesting to see the discussions shifting to mid game strategies once everyone has gotten past the first year or so of experience.

I am thinking you have Japan trying to do too much resulting in little effectiveness in each of her many tasks.

If taking out Moscow is her emphasis, then push with as much ground forces as possible early on, followed-up with several bombers mid game.  Russia can not keep up with Japan when she has to spend $12 a turn repairing damage.  Another key is to get caucasus with Japan if possible.  REALLY shortens the supply lines.

If you want to simply Support Germany, I advocate sending 4 or so Japanese ftrs to help keep the western allies off Germany/Italy.  Japan can usually easily afford them, and once Germany gets strong enough, they can fly back to help with Moscows destruction.  I use this alot as I see more “KGF” allied game plans than any other.

So in conclusion, choose one (or maybe two goals for Japan).  Of course, late game, your Japanese goal will probably change as the game dictates (for example if you were supporting Germany), or If Russia balls up with so many units and allied ftrs that it’ll be a stalemate for a while… go after USA!

Then we’ll start to have LATE game strategy discussions  :)

• '10

@axis_roll:

It is interesting to see the discussions shifting to mid game strategies once everyone has gotten past the first year or so of experience.

I am thinking you have Japan trying to do too much resulting in little effectiveness in each of her many tasks.

I generally do a southern push with some units in China and only a token northern force to eat russian ipcs. The caucases are the usual objective but the push commonly fizzles at persia and it seems difficult to link the 2 forces in the kaz nov region to go after the prize in any force. Africa only commences once trj is secure…if some premature effort is needed it is only with a unit or two usually via a trn to rho to eat some uk ipcs

• @Battlingmaxo, I generally agree with you, but this strat is only possible in “KGF-major” strat, even if US should always  try to keep it’s second NO for as long as possible, maybe keeping the CV and building bmrs in WUS will help keeping Midway, Hawaii, Wake and Solomons.

The logistic road is shorter for US towards Europe, and then both Germany and Italy should be pressured hard from UK+US. It is a race between who reaches Europe first, Japan, or US+UK. Germany will be forced to trade France, and perhaps Italy falls, then, if Russia survives, it’s game over for axis. And if Japan captures Moscow, and allies captures Germany, it’s the same as in Revised/AA42, Europe is worth more the western/eastern Asia and Moscow, so allies will most often have a significant economic advantage.

Most of my games are ended before any capitals falls, except perhaps Italy.
    If Germany can’t grow big during the first few turns, then it is often to late for Japan, even if the Japs have well over $70 each rnd.

• '10

@Subotai:

If Germany can’t grow big during the first few turns, then it is often to late for Japan, even if the Japs have well over $70 each rnd.

This has been my experience as well and for that reason I generally concentrate my US builds for Germany usually 70/30 with an occasional 50/50 to divert some Jap units to the Pacific or to defend a threat.

• @Battlingmaxo:

@Subotai:

This has been my experience as well and for that reason I generally concentrate my US builds for Germany usually 70/30 with an occasional 50/50 to divert some Jap units to the Pacific or to defend a threat.

If this an obvious fact that Germany needs to grow big enough early enough to survive, then some very early ftr assistance from Japan can make a huge difference as it would help hold France… no Allied dollars (France is worth $11 with NOs), no need for the German units to move ‘backward’ to France, only forward against Russia.  Italy supports France… then the German machine can afford to grow.

• To me the true race is how fast can Russia get her big NO, and when can they smack G down to only 1 or 0 NOs.  Italy as well needs to have her NOs taken away as fast as humanly possible.  Then it comes down to if J can restore her axis allies NOs.

• @Vareel:

To me the true race is how fast can Russia get her big NO, and when can they smack G down to only 1 or 0 NOs.  Italy as well needs to have her NOs taken away as fast as humanly possible.  Then it comes down to if J can restore her axis allies NOs.

seems like a pro-allied post when the OP was asking for help with his Japanese Godzilla :)

Again, to slow the Russian push for the NO’s, Japanese ftrs guard the western coast of Europe (or Germany or Italy) to enable German units to push against Russia.  Sometimes when the Allied heat is turned up, the italians are the swing units since they go between UK and USA.  This can take some skills to enable this manuever / flexibility, but it is definitely doable with some tanks and a few ftrs.

• '16 '15 '10

If Russia is playing defensive vis a vis Japan by stacking or deadzoning Persia/Kazack, a push into Africa can make a difference.   Japan can assist the Germany/Italy turtle and buy time for a build-up on Russia by taking Egypt/Jordan so Italy gets 5 extra IPCs a turn and by diverting a number of Allied units to fight for Africa.  As Japan causes a major nuisance to the Allies by shipping relatively few units into Africa, it continues to build up a larger tank force for the push on Moscow.

• Thats one of the many reasons to never deadzone persia, but instead hold it.  You get a free AA gun and 6 UK units down there, no reason to waste them.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m