• Hello all!

First off I want to give a hearty “Thank You!” to everyone who’s contributed to this gold mine of A&A information you all have got going here.  Browsing strategy topics here has helped me to improve my game tremendously and opened my eyes to potential moves I would otherwise not have considered.

My friends and I got into this about a month ago and have played a half dozen games so far.  The one problem we’ve run into is the rulebook’s vagueness on certain issues. A few quick questions for anyone who cares to answer:

1.  My opponent (playing Germany) counterattacked my Russians that had just taken Ukraine on R1.  He devoted just enough forces to take them but left one German tank on the front lines in reserve which following the german victory in Ukraine he then used to Blitz through the (now Russian-free) Ukraine into Caucasus. I couldn’t quite find anything in the rulebook saying this was out-and-out illegal to do, but it may be we missed something.  Reviewing it later after the game we determined that might not be a legal move due to all combat moves having to be declared simultaneously. Is it legal?

2.  Can transports unload troops to attack if there’s not a friendly cruiser or battleship in support?  If so, what the heck should I be doing with that British transport off Australia?

3.  Can, for example, the Brits take Western Europe and then have the Americans move their fighters into Western Europe on the same set of turns?

4.  Can the Brits deploy purchased units to SZ 3?

Thanks to any and all who reply! :-D

• Official Q&A

Welcome, chompers!

@chompers:

1.  My opponent (playing Germany) counterattacked my Russians that had just taken Ukraine on R1.  He devoted just enough forces to take them but left one German tank on the front lines in reserve which following the german victory in Ukraine he then used to Blitz through the (now Russian-free) Ukraine into Caucasus. I couldn’t quite find anything in the rulebook saying this was out-and-out illegal to do, but it may be we missed something.  Reviewing it later after the game we determined that might not be a legal move due to all combat moves having to be declared simultaneously. Is it legal?

No, it’s not.  As you say, all combat moves must be completed before combat begins.

@chompers:

2.  Can transports unload troops to attack if there’s not a friendly cruiser or battleship in support?

Yes, they can.

@chompers:

3.  Can, for example, the Brits take Western Europe and then have the Americans move their fighters into Western Europe on the same set of turns?

Yes.  In order to land air units in a territory, it must have been friendly at the beginning of your turn.  Since Western Europe was friendly at the beginning of the US’ turn, the US can land air units there.

@chompers:

4.  Can the Brits deploy purchased units to SZ 3?

Yes.

• Much obliged!  :-D

• If I may also ask a question, somewhat similar to situation #1.

If germany is making an attack on russia, and an adjacent territory is occupied by russia, however does not contain any units, may a german tank blitz through on its way to the battle and claim that unoccupied russian territory?

• @CptnKeener:

If germany is making an attack on russia, and an adjacent territory is occupied by russia, however does not contain any units, may a german tank blitz through on its way to the battle and claim that unoccupied russian territory?

Yes. For example Germany attacks West Russia from Karelia. Tanks may blitz Archangel or Belorussia enroute to West Russia as long as Archangel or Belorussia are empty.

• :-)  Thanks, thats how i’ve been playing

Sorry for the newb questions!  This board is great!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m