• So I clear out an occupied sea zone and in the same turn I transport troops to the occupied land zone adjacent to the sea zone. Can I bring in a battleship for a support shot that didn’t participate in the sea battle?

I know it is illegal to clear out units that are blocking your navy and then move your navy through the now cleared zone to attack in the same turn. Is it possible to move transports in there and bridge troops? the troops would just be doing non combat movement.

• :D You may bring in a battleship as a supporting shot if it legally didn’t participate in a naval combat and its movement permits. You may also bring transports in for bridging if they legally weren’t in naval combat and their movement permits!! :D

• the answer to the first part of your question is “no”
    you can not “hold back” navy in the sea battle adjacent to the amphibeous assault in order to use them for the support shot AFAIK.

• @cystic:

the answer to the first part of your question is “no”
    you can not “hold back” navy in the sea battle adjacent to the amphibeous assault in order to use them for the support shot AFAIK.

yes you can, its up to you completely. the problem is, if u LOSE the naval battle, your invasion force is pushed back out of the zone, and is very vulnerable. so you cannot take hits from your “land invasion force”

• Again with the “yes it is” “no it isn’t” debate.
    First one declares all combat movement.
    If i’m UK and i want to fight through a Ger sub in the Azores to land 2 troops onto Ger Algeria with one inf:
    First i declare all battles. The rules won’t let me put all units into the Azores sz and hold back a BB - instead it must attack the sub. The only one which does not participate in a sea battle is the transport (unless everything else is blown up, then the trn goes as it may not fire back). Assuming i win, and my trn is still present, then i may unload. The idea here is that my BB can not just non-combat move through an occupied sz, so it should not be allowed to participate in an onshore bombardment while enemy units are about. This is suspended for trns for some reason (the extra ships are protecting it?)
    Could we get a 3rd, 4th and 5th to agree or disagree with me here as well?

• :lol:

• I absolutely agree. If the transport wants to eventually move into a SZ that was occupied by enemy forces at the beginning of a turn, that constitudes and attack and needs to be declared at the beginning. Of course, if they plan on unloading troops to an enemy occupied territory after the naval battle (assuming success) they can do that as well, but it must be declared.

I’ve had people try and convince me that you could use a Navy to clear ships out of a SZ and then move a transport ship through this SZ into another during the non-combat phase. If they are attacking at the final destination, this is obviously against the rules, but to my surprise I could not find a rule specifically stating this was illegal if they only unload troops to friendly territories. Can anyone give me some backup on this issue?

• @Loki:

I absolutely agree. If the transport wants to eventually move into a SZ that was occupied by enemy forces at the beginning of a turn, that constitudes and attack and needs to be declared at the beginning. Of course, if they plan on unloading troops to an enemy occupied territory after the naval battle (assuming success) they can do that as well, but it must be declared.

I’ve had people try and convince me that you could use a Navy to clear ships out of a SZ and then move a transport ship through this SZ into another during the non-combat phase. If they are attacking at the final destination, this is obviously against the rules, but to my surprise I could not find a rule specifically stating this was illegal if they only unload troops to friendly territories. Can anyone give me some backup on this issue?

I do not believe that there is any problem with this. A strat twist i like is clearing out the UK seazone as Germany with my 2 subs and planes, and then using my left over transport (which did not participate in this battle, even as cannon fodder) to dump 2 inf from Fin onto Algeria to give some punch to Africa and slow down operation Torch.

• you said you couldn’t find a place in the rulebook that said you couldn’t attack at the transports final detination in non-combat?? you obviously cannot attack in non-combat, just look at the name of the section

• I don’t think I was making myself clear.

The situation which I cannot find a rule prohibiting is as follows:

Your navy is located in SZ #1. The fighting units (subs, aircraft, battleships, etc.) engage an enemy navy occupying adjacent SZ #2. This navy is defeated during the combat phase and you occupy SZ2 with your remaining units.

During the non-combat phase, it is legal to move transports (from either SZ1 or another SZ _through_SZ2 and into SZ3. To me this shouldn’t be legal since the ships engaged in battle had to stop after the battle, you shouldn’t be able to move through this zone during the non-com phase of the same turn, even if you don’t engage in combat.

• @Loki:

I don’t think I was making myself clear.

The situation which I cannot find a rule prohibiting is as follows:

Your navy is located in SZ #1. The fighting units (subs, aircraft, battleships, etc.) engage an enemy navy occupying adjacent SZ #2. This navy is defeated during the combat phase and you occupy SZ2 with your remaining units.

During the non-combat phase, it is legal to move transports (from either SZ1 or another SZ _through_SZ2 and into SZ3. To me this shouldn’t be legal since the ships engaged in battle had to stop after the battle, you shouldn’t be able to move through this zone during the non-com phase of the same turn, even if you don’t engage in combat.

as i said before,
    AFAIK it is legal, and i have done this before. Note: this is non-combat movement.

• oh i thought you were moving a transport through a seazone in which a battle had just ended in order to attack an island, but now i understand what you meant. sorry for the misunderstanding

• :lol:

• Nicely put Wild

• maybe loki has confused this w/ diplomacy, b/c in that an army cannot retreat/move into a territory that there was a deadlock in on that turn

• I agree with c_c_,

Well said W_O!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m