CM
    ukr <- bul: 3inf, pol: 1fig
    epl <- pol: 2inf, bul: 1art 2arm
    bst <- pol: 2inf 1art 2arm, chk: 2arm, ger: 1inf 1art
    egy <- lib: 1inf 1art 1arm, mor: 1inf, fra: 1arm
    sz2 <- sz7: 1ss, nwy: 1fig, ger: 1bmb
    sz6 <- sz5: 1ca 1ss
    sz12 <- sz7: 1ss, nwe: 1fig, ger: 1fig

Retreat egy if down to 1arm against more than 1fig.

NCM
    fra <- sz12: 1fig, nwe: 1inf, ger: 2inf
    mor <- sz12: 1fig
    nwy <- sz2: 1fig 1bmb
    blk <- ukr: 1fig

The idea is to make epl and bst unable to be countered, and to force a trade of Karelia with Russia for twoish turns.  This seems to buy Europe enough time to make it to turn 6 or 7 before Europe is really in crunch time.  Japan typically starts an Arctic Express around turn 3 against your usual KGF.  Any other recommendations, and why?

EDIT: Grammar mistake.

• With LL and no tech, (as I usually play), you’re facing an (edit:) extra(!) inf in Egy, and probably an extra inf in Kalia, even if you don’t attack Kalia in your opening move.

• '16 '15 '10

When I play there is usually a bid unit to Egy, so my opening is very similar, except I don’t hit Egy at all.  In no-bid ll, I’d use the bomber in Egy, and compensate with another sub in 2, while accepting I’m going to lose a fig in 12.  The risk is the possibility (approx. 16%) of getting diced in SZ 2 (subs and planes aren’t usually taken together in ll formulas), but this way Egy gets cleared.

• long time player first time poster…

please be patient as I attempt to understand the codes.

like what does LL mean?

I played A&A 3rd edition for many years before finally stepping up to AA50. we are trying to learn the basics of the new game before going into bids and/or optional rules. so no N.O. for now.

my standard G1 is similar but have had little luck pressuring Russia with Germany’s vulnerability on her West coast.

It seems that this leaves NWE ripe for an easy UK landing and MOR is free for US landing. how do you typically deal with that? or does this strategy only apply when using NOs?

• '16 '15 '10

Hi Duncan

ll=Low luck dice…it’s a different way of using dice, where the element of chance is minimized.

Most of the strategy discussions here assume the use of national objectives.  Without national objectives, Axis would need a significant bid to have a chance, and strategies would be much different.

• many thanks Z…

do you mind pointing me to the forums that discuss bidding and how low luck dice work?

in classic we reduced the odds for bad dice by doubling the qty of starting units and doubling the values of territories.

the group of people I play with have never considered bidding as a way to determine sides and starting balance and I’m interested in learning that process as well.

• The most used bidding system is to bid down for axis in Classic and Revised and AA50. Let’s say player A bids 10 for axis in Revised and player B bids 9, then player A says ok, player B gets axis with a 9 bid. you can use the unit bid which you buy units for the bid amount and place the units before the game starts.
    Some players uses a restriction of 1 unit pr territory, and other players have no restriction of the number of units placed in a territory. Others use cash only bids, then the extra cash can be used to buy units during the regular buy units sequence.

For Classic the unit bid level is ca. 20-25? for axis, and for Revised 8-10 for axis. In AA50 +NOs the unit bids are ca. 6-9 for allies. For AA42, imo, it is not yet clear which side that is favored.

LL is a system where you divide all attack and defense points by 6, and then roll a die for any hit points which is not perfectly divided by 6. 5 tanks in attack/defense gets 2 automatic hits in LL, then you roll a die for one tank.
    6 tanks means 3 automatic hits and no dice are rolled in the first rnd of combat.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m