Science Fiction/Fantasy Book Forum

• Books 6-9 are fairly long two but I think book 6 is the longest one.  With Winter’s Heart the series really perked up a lot for me. It never seemed to slow down after that.

• '16 '15 '10

This book is old school (1974), but I recently read “The Forever War” by Haldeman and was blown away.  Short and sweet….a great piece of military science fiction.  Just as interesting and possibly superior to “Starship Troopers” and definitely better than ‘Dune’ (which I read back in the day was never really comfortable with…seemed like a fascist aesthetic).

Apparently Ridley Scoot is preparing to create a movie version… so ‘The Forever War’ and its sequels might experience a revival in the near future.  Read it now before the film comes out.

• @tkroll:

Books 6-9 are fairly long two but I think book 6 is the longest one.  With Winter’s Heart the series really perked up a lot for me. It never seemed to slow down after that.

I am reading Book #10 Crossroads of Twilight right now and getting closer to the Sanderson book that I can’t wait to read.

• Try  “pawn of prophecy” its amazing

• @idk_iam_swiss:

Try  “pawn of prophecy” its amazing

Who wrote that?

Anyways I am still reading WOT. I just started Book #11 Knife of Dreams, so The Gathering Storm will be next.

• @Brain:

@idk_iam_swiss:

Try  “pawn of prophecy” its amazing

Who wrote that?

Anyways I am still reading WOT. I just started Book #11 Knife of Dreams, so The Gathering Storm will be next.

“Pawn of Prophecy” is book 1 of a great 10-book series written by David Eddings.  It’s really a great book, but the entire series really needs to be read.

• @Bardoly:

“Pawn of Prophecy” is book 1 of a great 10-book series written by David Eddings.  It’s really a great book, but the entire series really needs to be read.

Were there 5 more books written after these five?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Belgariad

• @Brain:

@Bardoly:

Were there 5 more books written after these five?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Belgariad

Nevermind, I found them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Malloreon#Guardians_of_the_West

• I really only liked the first five. But its david eddings…he doesnt know when to say “THE END” and actually mean it.

• @idk_iam_swiss:

I really only liked the first five. But its david eddings…he doesnt know when to say “THE END” and actually mean it.

I don’t think Robert Jordan did either, his life came to an end before his book did, and now it is being finished by Brandon Sanderson (using Jordan’s outline)

• Is his son as good as he was?

btw i recomend “His dark materials” ( the golden compass is the first one)

Wont reveal what the ending is but lets just say…its not the stereotypical boy wins girl happy ending. Its not “bad” just…different.

• Oh and check out The inheritance cycle  (eragon)if you want a blatant lord of the rings rip off. coupled with some star wars cut and paste. just to insult your intelligence…The first book is an obvious cut and paste of better ideas. but it gets better as the series progresses.

• has any mentionend enders game by orson scott card there is a whole series which good but the first ones were by far the best

• @thechariot1x:

has any mentionend enders game by orson scott card there is a whole series which good but the first ones were by far the best

The list of book suggestions are piling up while I am still re-reading WOT. I think I am going to read Sword of Truth next.

• Enders game and enders shadow are the only good ones…skip that anti Catholic guilt trip that ender writes when hes a total wimp…

• I may have mentioned this already (too lazy to look), and it’s not a book but a graphic novel, but Y: The Last Man is a great read.  It also does not have a “happy” ending, but the whole series is very entertaining.  It also had a lot of wisdom that helped me in my time of greatest need.  Sounds funny, but it’s the truth.

• You fellows need some more of the classics.  Check out anything written by Issac Azimov.  There was another series of books I read (I think there were five in all) which began with the Foundation Trilogy by Azimov.  Tolkien and C. S. Lewis are also great authors.  I enjoyed the Dragon Lance series and read them through the first twenty or so books before I moved on.  I eventually became tired of the evil magic user’s brother failing to see what he had become.

• I just finished a pretty good sci fi book, “One Jump Ahead” by Mark L. Van Name.

If you like David Drake and/or David Weber sci fi, then you’ll like this one.

• @tkroll:

The book is pretty good and impossible to put down. Sanderson is pretty good but different than Jordan. For the most part I couldn’t tell which parts of the book Jordan wrote and which parts were Sanderson’s. There were a few places I just wanted to shout “No” and more than a few I had to read again just because so much was happening.  When you get to it you will enjoy it.

I just finished The Gathering Storm. This book is outstanding. You were right. I highly recommend this book and I can’t wait for the next two books.

• Tor Books has announced that October 26, 2010 will be the release date for Towers of Midnight, the penultimate 13th novel in the Wheel of Time series.

In addition, here’s the dust jacket description of the book’s plot. Spoilers!
    The Last Battle has started. The seals on the Dark One’s prison are crumbling. The Pattern itself is unraveling, and the armies of the Shadow have begun to boil out of the Blight.

The sun has begun to set upon the Third Age.

Perrin Aybara is now hunted by specters from his past: Whitecloaks, a slayer of wolves, and the responsibilities of leadership. All the while, an unseen foe is slowly pulling a noose tight around his neck. To prevail, he must seek answers in Tel’aran’rhiod and find a way–at long last–to master the wolf within him or lose himself to it forever.

Meanwhile, Matrim Cauthon prepares for the most difficult challenge of his life. The creatures beyond the stone gateways–the Aelfinn and the Eelfinn–have confused him, taunted him, and left him hanged, his memory stuffed with bits and pieces of other men’s lives. He had hoped that his last confrontation with them would be the end of it, but the Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills. The time is coming when he will again have to dance with the Snakes and the Foxes, playing a game that cannot be won. The Tower of Ghenjei awaits, and its secrets will reveal the fate of a friend long lost.

This penultimate novel of Robert Jordan’s #1 New York Times bestselling series–the second of three based on materials he left behind when he died in 2007–brings dramatic and compelling developments to many threads in the Pattern. The end draws near.

Dovie’andi se tovya sagain. It’s time to toss the dice.

(Note: The U.S. book cover shown here is a temporary mock-up. It is NOT the final version of the cover.)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m