Science Fiction/Fantasy Book Forum

• Have any of you heard any details about the upcoming Star Wars book about Darth Plagueis?

• I´m about to finish “Order 66” Novel of Karen Travis (Star Wars)…and I have to say its not what I expected out of it but reminds rather of Schindlers List…I like the Strong characters of Walon Skirata and his unconditional Love for People he don´t even has to care about but he is JUST doin it…and I like the other Characters like Obrim, Dar and Niner as well…it was a good job for getting the Idea of Clone troopers who are Diffrent to each other but still have this drilled bond to each other…what I don´t like is the beginning ,it´s like a bubble gum,a lil bit chewie…
    After all still a good read and worth to read it again…

“Rise and Fall of Darth Vader” dissapointed me because it has not much detail on how Vader changes inside and getting soaked up with hate, its more of starting the rivaly of him and his master immediatley, Darth Bane Novel “rule of two” is working it way more out then Vaders Story…

@ AB Worsham…no I haven´t yet…

By the way ,George Lukas is not really planning on bringing out the Blue Ray DVD´s and then getting out each of a 1/2 year pause episodes I -VI in 3-D?..I´m not gonna go for all of that!..maybe Episode III on 3-D but thats it…he rather should complete the saga with Episode VII ,VIII, and IX…

• … and back again…

I’m glad to see all of the interest in Asimov’s books.  So many of his books are great!

I’ve read a good many of them, but not all.  I hope to re-read his “Foundation” series again sometime in 2012 along with his young adult “Norby” series which is simply wonderful.

For the “Dune” novels, it’s been a long while since I’ve read them (probably 15-20 years or so), and I remember that I enjoyed the first one or two, but that the later books got a little “weird”.  Because I haven’t had much inclination to re-read the series since then, I can’t classify this series as ‘great’, just ‘decent’.

With Brandon Sanderson’s release of Robert Jordan’s “The Wheel of Time” series’ 14th and final book coming up in March, I’m planning to start with book 1 soon so as to time my reading of the entire series so that I’ll finish book 13 right as book 14 comes out.  Is anyone else planning on doing likewise?

• …well, since I heard that "A Memory of Light’ has had its release date pushed back to November-ish, I decided to hold off on starting the series again for now.

I’m starting to re-read, "Nobody’s Son’ by Sean Stewart.  Its a great book that I’ve read twice before, and anyone who enjoys character interaction and development in a mild fantasy setting should enjoy it as well.

• …finished “Nobody’s Son” by Sean Stewart, and it was as enjoyable as I remembered.

Now I’m going to re-read, “The Prometheus Project” by Steve White and hope that it too, is as good as I remember it being.
    It’s a sci-fi novel about Earth breaking into outer space and finding it already mostly taken up by aliens who are much richer and more powerful than humans.  It explores Earth finding its place in the grand scheme of things.  I’ve enjoyed every novel by Steve White that I’ve read, and I recommend him as an author for all who enjoy sci-fi.

• What is everyone’s thoughts on Darth Maul getting brought back into the Star Wars story?

• possible spoilers for “Clone Wars” TV series

The last two episodes of “Clone Wars” have been down right creepy. The season on a whole has been very strong but these last episodes with Ventress and the Nightsisters and Maul’s ‘resurrection’ have been top notch. The series has a whole has improved greatly since the beginning.

I was worried when I saw the previews that it would prove to be an ill-conceived premise. But I thought they were well done. My only problem with it but at the same time an interesting question- what happens in the bowels of those buildings? Or maybe Maul’s corpse went out with the trash? Either way it suggests to me colonies of not quite functioning correctly discarded droids.

• @frimmel:

possible spoilers for “Clone Wars” TV series

The last two episodes of “Clone Wars” have been down right creepy. The season on a whole has been very strong but these last episodes with Ventress and the Nightsisters and Maul’s ‘resurrection’ have been top notch. The series has a whole has improved greatly since the beginning.

I was worried when I saw the previews that it would prove to be an ill-conceived premise. But I thought they were well done. My only problem with it but at the same time an interesting question- what happens in the bowels of those buildings? Or maybe Maul’s corpse went out with the trash? Either way it suggests to me colonies of not quite functioning correctly discarded droids.

I thought the same thing, about Maul’s survival. I hope next season fills in this gaps. I wonder what Sidious thinks of Maul’s survival? And will Dukoo and Maul have a showdown?

• I finally read Isaac Asimov’s book The Caves of Steel. It was a pretty decent read and it was the first that I read by him. When I finish my Bourne Betrayal book I was thinking of reading another Asimov book called The Naked Sun. I am also struggling to get through Patriot Games by Tom Clancy. Maybe I will tackle that when I am done with my Bourne book. Decisions decisions.

• Well, “The Prometheus Project” by Steve White was as good as I remembered it.  For now, I’ve been slooowly reading through David Edding’s, “The Dreamers” quadrilogy.  It’s not too bad, but as some other reveiwers have noted, he definitely seems to borrow some of the personalities from some of his other works - The Ellenium, The Belgariad, and such.

• My best are Dune 1 and 2 from Frank Herbert.
    I would add Brave new World from Aldous Uxley.
    Then, there is all the work of H.P. Lovecraft!
    From the call of cthulhu to The Dream Quest of Unknow Kadath.

• Well, I recently read through the entire 14 books of Robert Jordan’s “The Wheel of Time” series.  I started on January 12th, and I finished on March 16th.  I didn’t read “New Spring”, but I will do so later this year.  I had read through the first 11 books before with some of the books having been read many times, but I had never read any of books 12-14 with Brandon Sanderson before.  I won’t spoil anything about the last three books right now, but suffice it to say, I’m glad that the books were written and that I read them.  Brandon Sanderson’s writing style was close enough to Robert Jordan’s so that I didn’t feel jarred out of Robert Jordan’s fantasy world.  If you haven’t read the series, then I highly recommend it to you, and if you have read some of the books but have not finished up the series, then I recommend that you do so.  You will enjoy the reading.

• I haven’t been able to read much lately, but I’ve been wanting to ready Rick Riordan’s Percy Jackson & the Olympians series.  I have all 5 books, but I’ve only read the first two, and it was ~5 years ago.

Anyone else been reading much lately?

• I read the Star Wars Darth Plagueis Novel.

• @ABWorsham:

I read the Star Wars Darth Plagueis Novel.

How was it ABWorsham?, a good read to recomend?

• I enjoyed the read, some of the reviews were not kind, however I really enjoyed it. The story covers many years and mentions in some way six different Sith Lords.

• Just last night I finished The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy - the first book I’ve finished in a year (did start Don Quixote last November and had to put it down for work/study priority).  It was a refreshing a quick read - hope to complete the rest soon, more than likely the end of the year.

• I was on holiday without a book, so my wife said to read hers:The Shining Girls. I did enjoy it. It is a murder thriller, but with a scifi twist. Well worth a read.
    I am afraid I cannot remember the author.

• Star wars Darth Bane, just the first one. Baddass read

Also i loved the entire Dark Lord trilogy (Labyrinth of Evil, Revenge of the Sith, Rise of Darth Vader) By Matt Stover and James Luceno
    A really amazing series that details the real story of Star Wars.
    Probably the most well written of any novels in the star wars universe.

@ABWorsham:

I read the Star Wars Darth Plagueis Novel.

This is a good one aswell, gives you much insight into Darth Sidious who is basically the culmination of 1000 years of Sith growth that started with Darth Bane

• Well, I read right through all 5 books of the “Percy Jackson and the Olympians” series in about 4-5 days.  They’re quite an enjoyable read.  I also just discovered that Mr. Riordan is in the process of writing a sequel series and is already up to book 4, so now I just need to save up some funds to buy them (or at least find them at a local library).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m