Science Fiction/Fantasy Book Forum

• What’s the name of the essay where a space nation lost a war because they focused on developing their technology so much that they were not able to win the numbers game.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

What’s the name of the essay where a space nation lost a war because they focused on developing their technology so much that they were not able to win the numbers game.

Star Wars IV and VI.

• I started the Star Wars Darth Bane series. I really like it.

• Has anyone posted anything on Lord of the Rings? Man I love those books! I’ve read them three times and counting. When I watched “the making of” the movies I learned alot about Tolkien. A real fascinating guy. I like how he didn’t lie allegories in his book and said if something in the book meant something to you thats the point. I think a important part is hope. A key element in the story.

• @Pvt.Ryan:

Has anyone posted anything on Lord of the Rings? Man I love those books! I’ve read them three times and counting. When I watched “the making of” the movies I learned alot about Tolkien. A real fascinating guy. I like how he didn’t lie allegories in his book and said if something in the book meant something to you thats the point. I think a important part is hope. A key element in the story.

There are some Middle Earther on this site. I love the books.

• @Pvt.Ryan:

Has anyone posted anything on Lord of the Rings? Man I love those books! I’ve read them three times and counting. When I watched “the making of” the movies I learned alot about Tolkien. A real fascinating guy. I like how he didn’t lie allegories in his book and said if something in the book meant something to you thats the point. I think a important part is hope. A key element in the story.

At the very beginning of this thread, I stated that I had just started reading The Hobbit.  I went through that - entertaining enough - and then started on the first book of the trilogy.  Well, I put it down about 60 or 70 pages or so.  Just got tired of reading “The Hobbit 2” and couldn’t put up with it anymore.  Never went back.

Don’t get me wrong, I like fantasy books and movies (I’ve only seen the first Trilogy movie), but I felt like I had seen and read so much as a kid that probably did owe a nod to Tolkien that I was burnt out by the genre once I finally gave him a shot.  Maybe some other time I will, but I’m not so sure.  Especially with all that damn singing…sheesh

Now I juggle between a few books of 100 or so I downloaded for free on my iPad.  Currently it’s the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, a classic Chinese novel, a triple translation of the Quran, and some Jules Verne.

• Ya I cant say the singings annoying but give it another shot. It starts off horrible then gets better. They have to explain it all to the people who never read the Hobbit. Also if you watch all the movies you dont even need to read the books!  :-D

• @Pvt.Ryan:

Ya I cant say the singings annoying but give it another shot. It starts off horrible then gets better. They have to explain it all to the people who never read the Hobbit. Also if you watch all the movies you dont even need to read the books!  :-D

I enjoy the details of the Fellowship of the Ring book has. I wish the other two had as much detail.

I watched the movies first, then read the books.

• As was mentioned earlier  “The Forever War”  is an excellent read as well as the “Foundation” series Bradbury’s "The Illustrated Man " is excellent as well,perhaps a little twisted . “Ender’s Game”  already mentioned is a great read  Try Harry Turtledove’s World at War series  Earth is Invaded in spring 1942  Mankind has to unite to fight off the aliens  He also has a Great War series which is an alternate history where the south wins the civil war  It runs through wwII

• dteven erikson steven erikson steven erikson, I have read probably two thousand fantasy books from robert jordon to david eddings to j.r.r tolken. ?one of these authors come close to to steven eriksons the book of the fallen malazan series. It is an entire world with religions politics and death. If you don’t believe me read the reviews on the cover pages it’s filled with aurthors that I have grown up reading basically saiing the these books are the greatest fantasy novels ever put together, yes even better than their own. Read them that’s all I can say they are fantasy at it’s best.

• I just bought the first book in book of the fallen malazan series as well as the first in the wheel of time series for my Nook. They both sound like a good series.

• Just finished the last book of the Star Wars Darth Bane series. It was a very good read.

• I read the RULE OF TWO…it was a very good read how is the Path of destruction?@ABWorsham:

Just finished the last book of the Star Wars Darth Bane series. It was a very good read.

• Reading Neuromancer now.  Way ahead of its time.  After that I’m going to read Game of Thrones so I can catch the HBO series.

• @aequitas:

I read the RULE OF TWO…it was a very good read how is the Path of destruction?@ABWorsham:

Just finished the last book of the Star Wars Darth Bane series. It was a very good read.

The third of the Bane books is the weakest. I really disliked the ending. Disliked it enough that I’m done with that series the kept missing the mark but never managed to turn me off it till then.

• Been reading the Dune Chronicles and I am almost done with book 5, Heretics of Dune. Really good series. I started picking up the other novels that Frank Herbert wrote. Anyone read any of his non-Dune books? What are your favorites?

• @frimmel:

@aequitas:

I read the RULE OF TWO…it was a very good read how is the Path of destruction?@ABWorsham:

I agree with you. The first books was a home run. The second was decent. The third book you could sense the writer was hard pressed to finalize the story.

The third of the Bane books is the weakest. I really disliked the ending. Disliked it enough that I’m done with that series the kept missing the mark but never managed to turn me off it till then.

• The thing with the Bane stories, which I’ve mentioned before, is that Bane needs a villain or rather a hero. It got to be wearying waiting for the “sudden but inevitable betrayal” of the apprentice. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of ways to go with the story and the end of Path felt like ‘jumping the shark.’

• Hey Skinny I read the White Plague when I was in high school. It was pretty good. Not as good as Dune bt worth the read.

• Has anyone been following the “Fate of the Jedi” series? I’m current on it and have been enjoying it. I’ve found the Ben-Vestara romance amusing.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m