Is an R1 attack on Germany's navy a good play?

• @Zhukov44:

Speaking of R1 air attacks, does anybody like using the bomber to try to take out the destroyer/transport in SZ 13?  Seems like a nice body blow to Axis Med ambitions if it works, plus Germany has to divert a fighter on G1 to take out the bomber in Gibraltar.  Is it worth the risk?

Yes, that’s a high risk/reward move.  I was the victim once, recently.  However, the Russian bomber is dead meat on Gibraltar, although it takes away a valuable German air piece from other attacks.
    I think it’s an interesting novelty, and like bigdog says “if I’m feeling particularly agressive” (lucky)

• Don’t want to get off topic, but I have an opinion on the SZ2 attack as well.
    If the Russian sub is there, I absolutely do not attack it.
    The transport/cruiser is a much better target.  The question is whether to take 1 or 2 subs after them.  1 if I’m feeling lucky, and usually 2.
    Even if the Russian sub doesn’t go to SZ2, it’s risky, and also forces fighter and bomber to land in Norway, if they even survive.

Sure, it’s great if you can take out those three boats, but as already pointed out by other awesome A&A gamers, too big a risk if you’re playing someone as good or better than you.

Hey, if you’re playing someone not as good as you, you can do stuff like that!  Attack the SZ5 in R1!  Or attack DD, TP in SZ13!

Yes, strategies actually depend on the perceived skill of the opponent, and whether you are playing 1v1 or multiplayer.

• its only a risk if there isn’t a game plan for doing it. I always do it but by doing it it allows be to play the other two allied countries a certain way. Allowing me to get the ball rolling much quicker and getting to Russias aid MUCH easier. So even losing the bomber and fighter, as long as you get those ships then its well worth it, if you play the other allies appropriately.

• '20 '18 '17 '15

I agree with the Legend.  If you want to counter a preceived G1 naval build (as Germany hasn’t gone yet), then it’s a good risk, one that could pay off.

Sure, on an individual basis it isn’t very healthy for the Russian player, but collectively it could be a good move.  That’s all assuming UK & US are going after Germany and want to build up a sizeable fleet.

• @gamerman01:

@Zhukov44:

Speaking of R1 air attacks, does anybody like using the bomber to try to take out the destroyer/transport in SZ 13?  Seems like a nice body blow to Axis Med ambitions if it works, plus Germany has to divert a fighter on G1 to take out the bomber in Gibraltar.  Is it worth the risk?

Yes, that’s a high risk/reward move.  I was the victim once, recently.  However, the Russian bomber is dead meat on Gibraltar, although it takes away a valuable German air piece from other attacks.
    I think it’s an interesting novelty, and like bigdog says “if I’m feeling particularly agressive” (lucky)

If the allies get a bid and can place a unit in gib, then this makes the russian bomber on sz13 that more enticing.
    Now Germany needs to commit more than 1 plane to take out the russian bomber if it lives.

• @axis_roll:

If the allies get a bid and can place a unit in gib, then this makes the russian bomber on sz13 that more enticing.
    Now Germany needs to commit more than 1 plane to take out the russian bomber if it lives.

Yeah, brilliant.  If I did that, and actually put a unit on Gibraltar for the purpose of attacking Z13 in R1, you know what would happen.  The Russian bomber would miss, the German destroyer would hit, and I would have one foolish looking infantry unit on Gibraltar.

• @gamerman01:

@axis_roll:

Yeah, brilliant.  If I did that, and actually put a unit on Gibraltar for the purpose of attacking Z13 in R1, you know what would happen.  The Russian bomber would miss, the German destroyer would hit, and I would have one foolish looking infantry unit on Gibraltar.

:-D

but seriously, you can always pick him up with UK later….

• @axis_roll:

but seriously, you can always pick him up with UK later….

Well, yeah.  And I was thinking, it stops the automatic taking of Gibraltar with an infantry or armor from France G1 (messes with UK NO, and makes Italy’s much easier to get I1 if UK doesn’t take Gibraltar right back)

So yeah, bid infantry to Gibraltar isn’t the craziest thing in the world… :-)

• But with current league rules you cannot bid to gib because it has no starting units …

• @Funcioneta:

But with current league rules you cannot bid to gib because it has no starting units …

I agree, I did qualify my suggestion with:

@axis_roll:

If the allies get a bid and can place a unit in gib…

• Yep, I see. I think you should be allowed deploy the bid in any territory you had, empty or not. Also in any friendly coastal territory

• @Funcioneta:

Yep, I see. I think you should be allowed deploy the bid in any territory you had, empty or not. Also in any friendly coastal territory

That would open up other bid options…why limit them?
    I, however, don’t get to make the league rules

At home, we have no such limitations.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m