• Tomorrow I will be introducing AA50 to a new player. He’s an experienced wargamer so the learning curve won’t be a problem, but he does have terrible luck with dice (I’ve considered using low luck but I’d rather show him the game in its original form before introducing house rules) and obviously won’t have the advantage of experience that I have. As such I was wondering if there is a scenario which is easier to win for a certain side. My intention is to let him play the side that has the advantage. From my experience the 1942 scenario seems easier for the Allies to win, but I could be wrong. What do you guys think I should do?

• With or w/o NOs, that’s the question….

W/o NOs, the allies have advantage in both scenarios, but with NOs, axis have advantage in both…!

• '16 '15 '10

With NOs, Axis has the advantage in both scenarios.  42 is harder for Allies to win than 41.  Your opponent will need to be aware of what the national objectives are to take full advantage.

• Give him axis, 1942 scenario. In 1941 he could get puzzled with early jap expansion and not take important islands. Better if you don’t give him allies in any scenario, there are tons of strats that you could exploit against a novice (I usually employ submarines with Germany in 1941 when I teach a rookie and they usually cannot handle the Atlantic)

It’s better if you play with 3-4 rookies and you take Italy or USSR (any other played by a expert would imbalance the game totally)

• In '42, having Russia be an experienced player is ok. However, in ‘41, a good Russian player can destroy a newer German player. If you were going to play 41’ with a group of 3-4, I think the better player should take the U.K., as that is a difficult country to play well due to being spread out and losing so much income.

• I am sure he will enjoy the game whichever country he plays.

• Dermal, I was wondering how things went with your game last week. What scenario did you end up playing and who took what power. How many rounds did you end up playing. Is your friend hooked.

• Customizer

I’d play 1942, him as Axis, and with NO’s
    Explain the NOs really well, and
    Give him extra starting money, like an extra 5 ipcs for each of his players.  (not a bid, just starting with 15 instead of 10 as italy, etc.)

• Hi there, I’m the new player that Dermal introduced last week. To quickly recap, we played the '41 scenario and I took the axis powers. I think we got through about 5 turns before a result was looking likely.

I’m hooked, and have just finished setting up my own copy of AA50.

In regards to the game we played, here are my observations:

• I concentrated too much on pacifying the Chinese mainland and overlooked the US Pacific fleet
    • early on I smashed Russia, but got bogged down around Moscow, which ended up with the Italians having to fight a rearguard against Britain in France and Germany. Losig Berlin for a turn didn’t help my eastern front campaign either…
    • not using German sea power to block attempts by the Brits to get a toehold in Europe.

That being said, I know how I would approach the '41 scenario properly now, and I’m itching to give it another crack!

• @dr_anthrax:

Hi there, I’m the new player that Dermal introduced last week. To quickly recap, we played the '41 scenario and I took the axis powers. I think we got through about 5 turns before a result was looking likely.

I’m hooked, and have just finished setting up my own copy of AA50.

dr_anthrax, welcome to Axisandallies.org!

+1 Karma, to get you started on the right foot.

Jump right into the discussions.  It’s a great game.  If you find yourself hankering for a match, but can’t get a FTF (Face to Face) game group together, then check out the PBF (Play by Forum) board of this forum.  You can actually play Axis and Allies online here.  It may seem a little difficult at first, but it’s alright.

• As dr_anthrax said we played the 41 scenario, him as axis, using national objectives. I wasn’t really convinced that NO’s give the axis a big advantage. The US is pretty much guaranteed at least 10 extra IPC’s a turn, whereas the other powers have to work to get their bonuses. Obviously Russia loses their bonuses quickly, but the UK seems to hold onto theirs for a while.

It was a good match, very tense at times, but unfortunately we didn’t have time to play it through to a resolution. If we’d had the time to play it all out it could’ve gone either way really. At the point we packed up I think the allies had a slight advantage. The US had dominated the Pacific, but had just launched a failed attack on Japan which resulted heavy losses. The USSR had been on the brink of defeat but had built up a huge infantry army to defend Russia. Meanwhile the Germans were put on the defensive due to invasions from the UK who had succesfully captured Germany a couple of times, although it was reclaimed by Italian forces.

I agree with dr_anthrax’s comments on how he played the axis, though I will add that he should have focused on pushing through to Russia with the Japanese, which would have made Germany’s job that much easier. It seems that its easy for Japan to get bogged down fighting China, which IMO isn’t the best idea strategically. While the axis can gain income by taking Chinese territory, they are also not reducing the income of an enemy power in any real way. Focusing on more lucrative fronts in the Pacific or USSR is a better idea.

My own failings were as follows
    -Not being aggressive enough with Chinese forces, and often completely forgetting about China’s turn, costing me precious infantry.
    -Not wearing down the axis enough before attacking capitals.
    -Underestimating the forces needed to take Japan.

We’re planning a rematch with each of us playing the same side in the 41 scenario and I’m looking forward to trying out different strategies against my obviously worthy and now better educated opponent.

• Sounds like the next game will be more evenly matched. You should try to get a couple more players. Sometimes having a partner to bounce ideas off will help your strats, or catch little things you might have missed.

• Theres two more players in our roleplaying group who I plan on introducing A&A to. Though I personally prefer the intensity of a 1v1 battle. I find with 4-5 players there is invariably a weak link who’s lack of understanding of the game is exploited by opponents.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m