• As mentioned on the “Canadian Output” thread, Canada gets its own control marker in AAE40, and I agree with the use of the modern Canadian roundel for it, it’s perfect.  It looks just like the UK target, but with a red maple leaf on the inside instead of a red dot.  Likewise, I like the use of the Aussie one with the kangaroo in the center, too, for AAP40.  In both cases, they manage to both highlight the affiliation with the Commonwealth and the independence at the same time.  They also manage to be “target-like” without cluttering the game with too many targets… (Yes, both styles are ahistorical, bring adopted just after the war, but during it both countries used basically just UK roundels.)

Also, I’m kind of thinking that in the case of Italy, they should back away from the target style (which was only used for the pre- and post-fascist Italian air forces anyways) and go with, in this case, a more historical, 3-fasces roundel for a control marker.

What say y’all?

• I want the swastika for Germany.

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

I would agree that the three fasces (sp?) roundel would probabaly make more sense for Italy, the only reason I could think that they would use the target is that it is perhpas more asetetically pleasing, this is why the Japanese Navy roundel is used instead of simply Japan’s: because it is prettier. I do think a different roundel for the Italians would help distinguish them from the allied roundels, and I certainly agree about keeping the commonwealth ones similar but distinguished from the British.

Seems like ever since Anneversary they want to take some artisitc liberties with the game, which I think is why we see the Italian target as well as the fancy terrain fill which makes it so friggin hard to tell where your units are in eastern Europe. I dont mind, I think the new games are as visually beautiful as they are brilliant and fun.

… and BD, I wouldnt hold out hope for a swastika.

• The swastika is ahistorical as a roundel, anyway, BD: the balkenkreuz that A&A has always used was THE major German WW2 vehicle marking.  (Though, as I recall, I think that the traditional A&A Japanese control marker is based on their flag, not their actual vehicle roundel, so it’s not as though they could be accused of consistency in this regard…)

In any case, I figure why go with a symbol that might create too much unnecessary controversy.  I mean, controversy is fine by me if it serves a purpose, but I don’t see a purpose to putting swastika’s all over the A&A board, when the balkenkreuz does just fine.

• ugh as long as we get less of those lame bulls eye designs nothing says lazy MS paint artist like several colored circles

• Japan would just be a solid red circle. I like the rising sun better.

• Customizer

Hate to tell you this, but the maple leaf and kangeroo roundels post date WWII.

You could use the RAF pacific markings for Australia; this means the standard red-white-blue roundel but with the red bit painted white to avoid clashing with the Japanese symbol.  Similarly, the USA removed the red centre spot after Pearl Harbor.

Apparently the maple leaf design was experimented with in 1940, but not used on active service.

The Japanese sun with the red rays is based on the naval flag, not the national flag which is a plain red disc on white.

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-badges/rondels.htm

Note the orange triangle which would be correct for the Netherlands East Indies forces in Pacific.

• Thanks for the link Flashman, I think we should just go with the national flags.

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

You speak the truth Flashman. But the truth is not always as aestheticaly pleasing as can be.

I think they should go with the Kiwi Bird roundel for ANZAC.

• kiwi bird would  be awesome!

• Yes, I was aware of their ahistorical date, but my point was that I was willing to fudge a bit with historicity for the sake of aesthetics & quick recognizability for the Commonwealth and Japanese CM’s, but prefer the historical Italian one for the same reasons.

Basically, I’ve come to the conclusion that the roundels were a good idea, but having already departed from the historical roundel for Japan, why not make an exception for the Commonwealth countries too, especially since they are really just variations on the historical UK target roundel theme anyway…

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

Agreed.

• who decides what is aesthetically pleasing?

• The designer. The current ones used are just fine. They do not offend anybody for reasons that cause somebody to not buy the games. That’s the only responsibility they have.

I would be happy with pieces of pizza for Italy’s control markers. I like Pizza.

• @Imperious:

The designer. The current ones used are just fine. They do not offend anybody for reasons that cause somebody to not buy the games. That’s the only responsibility they have.

I would be happy with pieces of pizza for Italy’s control markers. I like Pizza.

Well thankfully for the rest of us, it will not be IL making the decisions.

• Yes, well, aesthetically pleasing is of course entirely subjective…

Using national flags is another idea, one which I believe they go with in TWG, especially if you’re going to switch to a rectangular shape.  But round seems to work pretty well as a CM shape, I think, and translating a rectangular flag into a round control marker, and then making sure that they are easily recognizable… Well, that’s part of the reason why the aircraft roundels were invented in the first place.

I like the original 5 CM’s just fine as they are and am only thinking about what they ought to be for the other powers…

• I am not satisfied. (This is not a complain) In the old A&A Pacific, the British convoys used the Union Jack as CM, and that look much better than the Bulls eye CM they use as standard, man.

• Agreed.

• Customizer

There’s a big difference between artistically creating a symbol based loosely on national flags etc; and using something that is demonstrably WRONG, such as using Italian Allied co-belligerent roundels for Fascist Axis Italy.

• So which roundels are you unsatisfied with?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m