• Long time peruser of the site. First time poster. I hope to post more in the future.

Here’s my dilemma. I own revised and AA50, but I’m headed out of town for the holidays and I"m flying and not wanting to travel with my games.

My brothers-in-law are all fans of AA but have only played revised up to this point. I was thinking of just running to Target and buying this game so we could have some fun over Thanksgiving.

What’s holding me back is the fact that I’ve heard some different opinions of the game so far. Is it true that it comes with a shortage of grey chips, so you don’t even have enough for start up? Lame if true.  :roll:

Is there anything I should take from my current games that would be easy to travel with and make the game better? I"ll take some IPC money probably or just use Monopoly money. I just wondered what your opinions were on the matter. Should do something different? I love AA and can’t imagine not playing over the holidays with some extra down time. This seemed like a quick fix, I maybe up for a letdown after AA50 but I guess it’s better than nothing.  :wink: I just want to see what the overall opinion of the board is considering my current predicament.

Thanks in advance!

• A&A Spring 1942 was my first A&A game. With 1940P on it’s way out (and after pre-ordering 2 copies) I perceive '42 as a “travel game” and as a boost in minis and chips to combine with the units I’ll get in 1940 P and E.

I’ve managed games with the contents of 1 box of 1942, but I did NOT come from an A&A background, so perhaps I had less flaws to find. Although they didnt give me enough infantry for Germany, Soviet Union and UK, so I have to start the game using chips!!!

I hope this helped even slightly.

-a.

• Customizer

Buy it. True it’s no anniversary edition, but plays quite similar with the exception of there being less spaces to fight over and no national advantages or tech. Think of it as a slightly polished up revised edition. You’ll still have a great time playing it.

As for the games shortcomings,
    The game only comes with about half the chips you’ll want. However it still perfectly playable the way it comes out of the box, but you’ll have to use multiple units of the same type in several territories when you run out of chips. 1942 also lacks IPC Money. You’ll miss them if your use to using the IPC bills. Finally the game comes with no tech system. Despite these shortcomings the game is an improvement on the old revised edition and plays a better too.

My suggestions

1. Bring along some extra chips (1942 uses the new skinny chips found in AA50 and AAG)
    2. Bring along a stack of IPC Money
    3. If you enjoy tech, bring your AA50 Tech Chart and Research Tokens and adopt AA50 Rules for tech since 1942 uses the basic AA50 rule set anyway.

Happy Gaming.

• I’d bring your revised board as well. The 42 map is terrible. I don’t know what they were thinking when they designed it. Borders are too dark, important territories are too small.

• I think buying A&A’42 & taking some chips/money is the best solution. You really don’t want to go through security with your games, & the thought of them being crushed by some baggage handler gives me the shivers.

• Buy it but be preapred to overcome the shortages. I have picked from Revised the IPCs and the chips, seldom differents from the AA42 theuy are useful to play without problems.

• AA42 is my first A&A game, and I love it. A friend has the original, which I played before I bought this one.  After 6 hours tonight with no winner, I feel that this game is more balanced than the original.  However, the map is small, and we did have to dip into the old game for chips a few hours into the game.  We also used country markers for chips.  I printed out and used the big map that Imperious Leader has posted on his tagline and I couldn’t imagine going back to the little board, but it would work if you had to……  I have monopoly money from an old game for IPCs and I used a paint program to make myself a new battleboard like the original.  I am going to scan the old IPC tracker as well as the big map doesn’t have it on there like the little one does.

• Hi all. I am a fairly new member here and have a question. I have all of the Axis and Allies board games except AA42 and the original Nova version. Just picked up AAP 1940 two days ago. When I heard that 1942 was coming out I found a copy of Revised so that I could have all of the games. Do I need to buy 1942 since I have Classic, Revised, AA50, DDay, BotB, Guadalcanal, the original Pacific and Europe? My oldest son said that I don’t need it since we have 3 global games already and when AAE 1940 comes out I will make a bigger global game when I combine it with AAP 1940. Thanks.

• It depends how you define “need”. Spring 42 has a few minor map and setup changes as compared to Revised so that and the rule changes makes it significantly different. However, if you don’t want to buy the game, borrow Cruiser pieces from another game, follow the new rules and adjusted setup, and use the Revised map. The differences between AAR and AA42 is that the Perry Channel is frozen, CUS now borders Eastern Canada(now doesn’t border Mexico), Japan starts with a cruiser instead of a destroyer, and the UK med battleship is nerfed to being a cruiser.

• I guess that I don’t really need any of them but I like the games and want all of them. I was just wondering if there is enough of a difference to justify getting 1942. I think there is since it is not Revised or AA50. Thanks Fleetwood Dan.

• No problem. I wasn’t trying to suggest we don’t “need” these games to fuel our addictions. Such blasphemy!

Just that with the Revised board, a few spare pieces, and knowledge of the rules and differences, you could essentially play the game without buying a copy.

• I picked up a copy of this for my boys for Christmas. I can’t wait to play it. I might even pick up a copy for myself. I like the look of the map.

• The map look of the map is great, the chip amount is frustrating, but over all this is a good game. Buy it.

• @Mr.:

The map look of the map is great, the chip amount is frustrating, but over all this is a good game. Buy it.

The map look is good but because of almost invisible German borders and the lack of space in European territories the playability is bad.

Like it was said above, if you have Revised and Anniversary just download the ruleset and play it with Revised map and AA50 pieces. The map changes are minor (2 almost useless islands, Formosa and Iceland, and a few changes to North America).

• @Hobbes:

@Mr.:

The map look of the map is great, the chip amount is frustrating, but over all this is a good game. Buy it.

The map look is good but because of almost invisible German borders and the lack of space in European territories the playability is bad.

Like it was said above, if you have Revised and Anniversary just download the ruleset and play it with Revised map and AA50 pieces. The map changes are minor (2 almost useless islands, Formosa and Iceland, and a few changes to North America).

Using the marshaling cards from Revised or making your own will take care of the space issue. So far I am enjoying the game with my 2 sons.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m