• @axis_roll:

You should be playing without tech to limit the variables (IMHO)

Axis, I understand what you’re saying.  This is EXACTLY why I still didn’t attack Egypt G1 even though it was suddenly a much better move.
    I deliberately left the flying tigers alone, too.  It was kind of the point of the game we’re playing.  I challenged Funcioneta because he said not attacking Egypt G1 and Yunnan J1 was a “double failure”.
    We both wanted to play tech.  Funcioneta suggested it first.  You know, a lot of people like us don’t really care to play Axis and Allies without it.  I think it’s lame, for example, to know for sure that the enemy’s planes can’t exceed a 4 or 6 move range.  In this game, I had to leave units in Germany and Italy that I normally would have moved out toward the front lines, except I had to guard against the possibility of paratroopers.
    Tech is not going to ruin the purpose of this game, which was whether it’s a really bad idea to skip Egypt G1 or Yunnan J1.

• @rockrobinoff:

if you spent 10 bucks on tech and got a the right tech, you have to attack egypt. i think spending 10 bucks on tech on G1 an outrageous move by the way - considerably more suspect than Egypt G1

You’re making me want to challenge you, too!  :lol:
    I’ll show you the power of tech!

• @axis_roll:

And we could play also LL to kill all the fun  :-P Anyway, my point was that not Egy and not Yunnan is less powerful than doing both. I’m not saying you are going to lose for not doing them, I say you will have a harder road to victory, and a slighter lesser chance of win, but it’s still a uphill battle for allies

As for the Kriegsmarine buildup, I have seen one ubercrappy player doing it and still winning because there is no way of stopping Japan and you still have to kill Kriegsmarine first to start menacing Germany. I think gamerman is better than that player I’m saying (one I play FTF), so I guess I’ll have even more problems than usually against naval strat

• And yes, he got HBs and IS, but I could get Paratroopers next round with UK, war bounds with USSR or LRA with USA so what? As he said, he spent a total of 35 IPCs of tech, so a result of 2 techs is still in the average. I spent 5 and got none, I don’t see any wrong with tech: I’ll have more units and he will have better units, as should  :wink: Not that I’m going to cry for HBs round1: I’ll search the way of countering this

• @Funcioneta:

@axis_roll:

And we could play also LL to kill all the fun  :-P

Haha - Funcioneta, the irony is we strongly agree about some things.  I love tech, and agree LL would really kill the fun ;)

• Oh, and by the way, you’re up!  Good luck!!!
    Agree - no shame in losing with Allies in '41 - jeez, the setup borders on ridiculous (see Japan).

• @Funcioneta:

And yes, he got HBs and IS, but I could get Paratroopers next round with UK, war bounds with USSR or LRA with USA so what? As he said, he spent a total of 35 IPCs of tech, so a result of 2 techs is still in the average. I spent 5 and got none, I don’t see any wrong with tech: I’ll have more units and he will have better units, as should  :wink: Not that I’m going to cry for HBs round1: I’ll search the way of countering this

Heeeey….  Gracias, amigo!!  You got my back, how about that?  Long live tech!
    I really appreciate your attitude.  So he got heavy bombers, there are ways to deal with that.  I’m gonna thoroughly enjoy playing Axis and Allies with you - I hope we can play games sometime beyond this first one.

• @Funcioneta:

As he said, he spent a total of 35 IPCs of tech, so a result of 2 techs is still in the average. I spent 5 and got none, I don’t see any wrong with tech: I’ll have more units and he will have better units, as should  :wink:

:-D Correction - I will have better units, and you will BUILD more units, not HAVE more units  :evil:  :wink:
    Yes, I’m a tech fiend.  Now that it’s not near the gamble it used to be (get to re-roll every turn) and everyone has more money than previous games (NO’s, more territory), AA50 is the best A&A game so far, partly because it has tons of tech on both sides!  But you can’t get it if you don’t buy researchers.  I almost always have at least 1 going for nearly every country.  You have to give yourself a chance.

• for the record, i am all for tech. i just think 10 IPCs on G1 an extravagance almost certainly sub optimal.

• @gamerman01:

Yes, I’m a tech fiend.  Now that it’s not near the gamble it used to be (get to re-roll every turn)

In my opinion, it is more of a gamble than when compared to revised. You can get techs you dont want, unlike in revised where you roll for specific techs. Nothing like spending 40 bucks on Rd 6 with America to get Heavy Bombers to wipe out Germany.

• @rockrobinoff:

@gamerman01:

Yes, I’m a tech fiend.  Now that it’s not near the gamble it used to be (get to re-roll every turn)

In my opinion, it is more of a gamble than when compared to revised. You can get techs you dont want, unlike in revised where you roll for specific techs. Nothing like spending 40 bucks on Rd 6 with America to get Heavy Bombers to wipe out Germany.

I like the excitement of not knowing what you’ll get.  It’s like the grab-bag.

• @rockrobinoff:

for the record, i am all for tech. i just think 10 IPCs on G1 an extravagance almost certainly sub optimal.

Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion.
    My opinion is 10 IPC’s is a modest investment that has a good chance of bearing tremendous benefits.
    Also, now that we’re back to the Classic method where you can’t pick your tech, getting tech you don’t really want is good, too.  Obviously, it increases your odds of getting the ones you do want in future turns.

• @gamerman01:

You know, you could miss with that 40 bucks and have absolutely nothing.  It sounds like YOU’RE the gambler  :lol:  What do you do if it misses, quit?

Well, i don’t think rolling 8 dice for a tech a very high probability of missing, and I would certainly take that risk if the payoff was a lock on a capital falling. Note failed invasions that were a low probability of failing often result in the other side winning - no different then rolling for lots of tech at critical moments in my opinion.

• @gamerman01:

My opinion is 10 IPC’s is a modest investment that has a good chance of bearing tremendous benefits.

The same argument is being made by Funcionetta about the chances of Egypt failing… and that works out 75% the time, and not 33% (plus the times you dont get the right tech). If you are planning on investing even more money later if you miss the right tech, it also isnt 10 bucks any more.

I’ll take the two extra inf + art in east poland or karellia guarunteed at turn 3.

• I’ll take heavy bombers.

• What’s ironic is I got onto this thread by sticking up for your ideas.

• @gamerman01:

You have now lost a lot of credibility with me.  It is a terrible idea to gamble with 40 IPC’s on US1 in revised for heavy bombers.

Dude, i said round 6 in a theoretical game where it results in a lock on a capital take. You’ve lost a bit of credibility with me in your ability to read. kidding

• Whup - you are sooooo right.
    :oops:
    Overlooked the lil Rd6 part.  (Goes back and makes several edits)
    OK, you got credibility back.  Peace.
    I agree, was nice to choose your tech, but I don’t miss it, myself.

• @gamerman01:

I agree, was nice to choose your tech, but I don’t miss it, myself.

I don’t miss it either. In fact, I like the new rules better. That said, i think it more of gamble in some senses.

Buying tech on G1 for Germany has to have immediate effects to be worth it. The argument “even if i dont get the right tech its still worth it cause it gives me a greater chance of hitting the tech i want later” doesn’t hold much water. Germany has 31 bucks, and if G is playing in such a way as to pressure Russia for as long as possible, has now lost valuable time with only 21 bucks in units and no tech 69.5% of the time. Speed!

Now, heavy bombers, jet power, super subs, and long range aircraft, all go toward an even deadlier G1, and radar isn’t a disaster either. Shipyards is only useful if you are going to build a navy - and only barely useful since it cost $10 to get it.

If I could start with $21 as Germany and also have my choice between Heavy Bombers, Jet Power, or Super Subs, I would do it every time. However, you (as in you, gamerman) can’t say “ill take heavy bomers” as a retort to my guarunteed 3 units in karellia or poland. You are saying “i’ll take my low probability shot at getting heavy bombers over three units in poland”.

• OK, maybe this will explain my position.
    I play #1 for fun, #2 to win.  Getting tech is fun.  2 infantry and 1 art in Poland is not.
    Also, I don’t always try to pressure Russia as much as possible.
    Finally, a big part of my strategy is to be unpredictable.  My opponent knows exactly what I can do with ground units that can only move one territory at a time.  But if I have tech tokens in, he has to worry about all the things I might get.  And when I do get the tech, my attack becomes more unpredictable.
    We just have two different styles of play, that’s all.  Wanna game?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m