• @Krieghund:

The problem is that in the game, you know where all the threats are, whereas in real life they didn’t.  The UK had to spread out its fleet because it never knew where the German subs were or where they’d strike.  In the game, you know exactly where they are, so you only need to send ships to those areas.

That’s an interesting notion that you have that in order to receive the income you have to have a warship in the convoy zone.  That could simulate the reality of guarding convoys quite nicely.  However, it may have problems of its own to deal with, making the rules more complex.

We want a better game and this rule is not that comples.

• Any ideas for a “fog of war”? it would make naval combat more realistic.

• Would it apply to sea zones only or both land & sea zones?

Neat idea.

@idk_iam_swiss:

Any ideas for a “fog of war”? it would make naval combat more realistic.

• I hope I’m not the only one getting confused as to what is in AAP40 vs. what people want.

Subs rule the sea!  UK needs to invest heavy in dd’s to keep the convoy zones.

Krieghund: as always thanks for your answers! The answer is free since it didn’t meet the 30 minute guarantee.  (Just joking)

IL: as always insightful.

• Subs do rule the sea, if you invest in them. You can get two subs for the price of every one cruiser. If you build a pack of subs its better. They are awful on defense. which is why the new carrier rules change naval combat.

• Customizer

@gnasape:

I hope I’m not the only one getting confused as to what is in AAP40 vs. what people want.

I always take what Krieghund says as absolute truth since he works for Larry Harris. So far Krieg has never led me astray. Everyone else’s comments are either hearsay or speculation.

• Official Q&A

@gnasape:

IL: as always insightful.

Yes, IL’s comments are quite often insightful.  As a bonus, they can be “inciteful” as well.  :wink:

@Bob_A_Mickelson:

I always take what Krieghund says as absolute truth since he works for Larry Harris. So far Krieg has never led me astray. Everyone else’s comments are either hearsay or speculation.

+1 to you, Bob!

• @Krieghund:

The problem is that in the game, you know where all the threats are, whereas in real life they didn’t.  The UK had to spread out its fleet because it never knew where the German subs were or where they’d strike.  In the game, you know exactly where they are, so you only need to send ships to those areas.

That is not the way I look at it. In real life UK did know that there were subs in certain areas, so they did send some destroyers there to search for them. Sometimes they got lucky. In A&A you know there are a sub in seazone 8, so you send a destroyer there, roll a dice and sometimes you got lucky. To search and find, or search and not find, is in the dice roll. A&A do model the real life in a beautiful way.

• @idk_iam_swiss:

Any ideas for a “fog of war”? it would make naval combat more realistic.

yes, and that is in the dice roll. You send ships to a seazone with lots of enemies, and roll a dice. If the dice miss, then it was too much fog of war.

• Lulz, thanks

• Fog of war rules definitely complicate things and should only be used on computer games.

• Yeah…It was just an idea. I love axis and allies but I havent been able to figure out how to make submarines a viable buy. (which made me think of fog of war), Submarines arent a good purchase because everyone can see where they are. If they could be “hidden” and get a better bonus then the one they get now. That would be cool. but I cant think of any submarine ideas. OR any reason WHY I would buy subs…they are horrible at attack, and even WORSE with defense.

• Think of them as the infantry of the sea.

• At 6 ipc for a 2 attack (sneak attack), 1 defense but able to submerge at will?  I think it’s a good buy for a naval attack and cheap cannon fodder.

I thought destroyers were the infantry of the sea?

@idk_iam_swiss:

Yeah…It was just an idea. I love axis and allies but I havent been able to figure out how to make submarines a viable buy. (which made me think of fog of war), Submarines arent a good purchase because everyone can see where they are. If they could be “hidden” and get a better bonus then the one they get now. That would be cool. but I cant think of any submarine ideas. OR any reason WHY I would buy subs…they are horrible at attack, and even WORSE with defense.

• Why not just buy a battleship, and with carriers taking two hits maybe a carrier instead? why buy three units that have a low chance of killing ANYTHING?

• I think the best way to deal with convoys is to have a zone like in AAP and AAE. It is a convoy route for a selected country. If it becomes occupied by an enemy then that country loses income for every turn thereafter until that evemy ship leaves the zone or it is destroyed. If the enemy ship leaves then the route opens again, it should not stay closed if the enemy then leaves! You should not have to have a friendly warship there to keep it open, only to defend it. To sum up what I said: if the zone has nothing there then the convoy is open and adding to the income of the country, if it is closed by and enemy ship then it won’t add to the income of the country any more.

So from my understanding if a convoy route is captured why are we losing money already collected? How does that make sense, the ships delivering IPCs already got to us, thus the collect income phase at the end of the turn. For every turn after then the income should be docked, but why immediately?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m