Newfoundland bans cellphones while driving

• ST. JOHN’S - Newfoundland and Labrador has become the first province to officially ban talking on a cellphone while driving.
    The provincial government says talking on a cellphone is just one distraction too many for drivers

• cbc article pulled from the web.
      I was thinking of this tonight as someone nearly t-boned my little car on the slippery streets of Winnipeg.
      Any takers?

• Good idea, but they should allow hands-free systems while driving.

• Ban 'em.

They’re only one more thing to keep your attention from where is should be. :(

• @Yanny:

Good idea, but they should allow hands-free systems while driving.

funny - i included the “hands-free” option in designing this poll.
    i wonder where i dropped it . . . .

• Cell phone or hands-free, your mind is still gonna drift and your focus will still be on two tasks…driving a car and having a conversation. I think they might as go all the way and ban it all. I mean, isn’t your health more important than any business decision or whatever?

• @Candyman67:

Cell phone or hands-free, your mind is still gonna drift and your focus will still be on two tasks…driving a car and having a conversation. I think they might as go all the way and ban it all. I mean, isn’t your health more important than any business decision or whatever?

By your reasoning, nobody should be allowed to talk to another person while in a car…

• By your reasoning, nobody should be allowed to talk to another person while in a car…

Exactly what I was thinking. I voted no, but I won’t shoot you if you try it. I will put up a fuss though. Hands-free phones should be allowed. That’s about all I have to say.

• @Deviant:Scripter:

@Candyman67:

Cell phone or hands-free, your mind is still gonna drift and your focus will still be on two tasks…driving a car and having a conversation. I think they might as go all the way and ban it all. I mean, isn’t your health more important than any business decision or whatever?

By your reasoning, nobody should be allowed to talk to another person while in a car…

It would be nice if people were “smarttalkers”, but too many of them are “dumbtalkers”. They can’t talk and watch the road at the same time. They look to the side, move their hands around, and they lose track of things, including their attention. These are not safe people. The smarttalkers are less of a problem. They say “shutup” when things are a little dicey, they never look off the road and check their mirrors and signal even in conversations. Cops can only catch the cellphone users tho’. They can’t distinguish smarttalkers vs. dumbtalkers until the dumbtalkers have hit someone else (all too often a smarttalker).

• Exactly what I was thinking. I voted no, but I won’t shoot you if you try it. I will put up a fuss though. Hands-free phones should be allowed. That’s about all I have to say.

That’s a option on new cars nowadays.

• I don’t see how their worse than radio’s blasting and holding a coke…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m