A really basic query frm first time user

• Hi. We’re first timers at A&A. A clarification please on something that’s vague in the rulebook:

What constitutes a turn?
    For example: If I attack from Eastern Europe to the Ukraine successfully, can I then continue with the same troops into Caucassis in the same turn?

Sorry for the basicness of this but…… :D

• Simply put: no.

The reason is also simple: when Eastern Europeans conquer the Ukraine, they always head straight to Odessa, on the Black Sea, where they stretch out on the beach until the next turn.

Seriously, an attack, whether successful or not, takes place during the Combat Movement (and combat resolution) portion of your turn. A unit can make only one attack per turn. Any units (except air) that executed an attack during the combat movement phase are finished doing anything for the remainder of your turn. (If you choose to retreat any of the units, that retreat occurs during the combat movement-resolution phase, and ends that attack.)

Immediately following the combat movement phase, and the resolution of all of your attacks, is the next portion of your turn: Non-Combat Movement. In this phase, you can move ONLY those units that did NOT participate in the combat movement phase. (The only exception is air units; those which were in combat must now land.) Remember, you make ALL your combat movements first. THEN you resolve all combat. THEN you go into non-combat movement.

There is no case in which a unit can attack into more than one territory during your turn. Well, there is “blitzing,” in which your armor zooms into an EMPTY enemy territory during combat movement, then zooms into an adjacent enemy territory to make a second attack on the same turn. It is perfectly OK to attack empty enemy territory – this is one form of attack during combat. (However, you cannot enter an enemy territory during your non-combat phase, even if it is empty.)

So, if Ukraine was EMPTY and you rolled in unopposed with armor, then your armor could continue right on through to Caucasus. But this is the ONLY case.

What constitutes a turn?

As it says in the manual, your turn consists of these sequences:
    1. Dvlp special weapons/purchase units
    2. Combat movement
    3. Combat (resolution)
    4. Non-Combat movement
    5. Place purchased units
    6. Collect income.

• When “Blitzing” do you have the option of the second territory being “empty, occupied, friendly, or neutral”? If it is empty, you would take both territories I assume, and if it was enemy occupied I assume you would engage in combat.

In other words, are there restrictions on where your second move can be? (I think the rules clarify this, but I don’t have them with me, but do you control the territory you blitzed through and the new one you arrive at too?)

• Nope, second move an have whatever on the territory, so long as the first is empty. The second territoy can even be your own. Ex. You can blitz an armor from Italian East Africa (owned by you) to Kenya, then back to East Africa. Also, if you blitz into a neutral make sure you got your 3 IPCs :roll: And I don’t think you can blitz through a neutral (it can’t be your first territory). And yes you do own both the territories now (assuming you won the combat if there was any, but even if you lost you still ge tthe first one). That help?

• Yes, and I got ahold of my rule book too and was able to play a game again for the first time in years, and I’m addicted now. Thanks for the clarifications.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m