• Ive played axis and allies for a bit and picked up BotB a few weeks ago and have played 4 games, all which were German massacres.  In a few of the games Germany takes Eupen in the first turn and crushes all my forces.  I try to burn my fuel, hold Eupen, Bastogne, and somewhat of St. Vith but I just dont have enough troops.
    Honestly, it seems like planes are very overrated and Im wondering if the game is broken.  Weve switched players and cant seem to find a way for the Allies to win.

• Official Q&A

First, as there are some errors in the rulebook, I’d recommend reviewing the FAQ to make sure you’re doing everything right (if you haven’t already).

However, the Allies do have a steeper learning curve.  There are some strategy articles at the AH website:
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/article/ah20070611a
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/article/ah20070618a
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/article/ah20070625a

Also, Frimmel has written some nice ones on this site:
    http://www.axisandallies.org/taxonomy/term/54

• Krieg’s right, and the articles, especially Frimmel’s are great.

the thing is not for the Allies to hold the line, but win the battle.  You make the germans use their fuel up moving forward and stop them when it works best for the allies.  The northern part is easier to hold longer from the start, with the center and southern stretches strategically falling back to strong defensive lines near bastogne.  Maximizing your air power on the german’s ability to move supplies will stall their offensive because you cannot bring enough firepower to bear as the allies to wipe them out.

learning curve as the allies is rough, and hard to believe really, but when you see it start coming together it really makes it a tooth and nail fight.  BOTB is very solid in my experience.

• The guys already hit the points I would make. It is hard to play the Allies and if the Axis is very lucky on the turn 1 surprise attacks it can make it tougher. It is just a different kind of victory.

Things to keep in mind as Allies:

1. You WILL lose ground and units. The Axis is going to roll over you a bit initially. This is not necessarily the game slipping away from you.

Unlike the global games territories you just aren’t going to get back is not the begining of inevitable defeat. The Axis gaining victory points is not you losing the ability and resources to stop them. You must get your head right with this (abandon thought processes from other A&A games) before the first dice hit the table or you’ve defeated yourself before the end of turn 1.

1. Defense without depth is no defense at all. In many places another unit in the line is less useful than a unit behind the line. This is a consequence of point 1. For example after turn 1 the Germans are likely to occupy what was intially the US front line.

If you throw all your troops into a new line and try to stop the Germans cold at St. Vith and the hex 9th Armor starts in for example you likely will lose Malmedy, St. Vith and Viesalm and be faced with the Germans breaking and getting behind your line but 1 unit each behind the line in Malmedy and Viesalm keeps the Germans in front of you. This does three things: conserves units, prevents deep penetration by the Axis and burns up their gas for little ground.

I just finished Guderian’s memoir Panzer Leader and he talked about arguing with Hitler about keeping the reserves 12 miles behind the front in order to check the inevitable Russian breakthroughs.

Football analogy – the greatest defensive front four in the history of the NFL combined with the worst secondary in the history of the NFL will win how many games?

1. Concentrate your air force. One hex burned to the ground is better than a chip out of several. Especially if that hex is supplying a bunch of units.

2. You have to have the attitude that you will win. Turn 1 is demoralizing and you must overcome the resignation that all is already lost.

• @frimmel:

Football analogy – the greatest defensive front four in the history of the NFL combined with the worst secondary in the history of the NFL will win how many games?

was that a crack against the Detroit Lions?

if not, can I make one?…

• @LuckyDay:

@frimmel:

was that a crack against the Detroit Lions?

if not, can I make one?…

:lol:

Not a crack against any particular team but cracks against any team from that state up north except the Spartans are okay with me.

:|

Okay, the Spartans are game but lay off Dantonio.

Go Buckeyes!  8-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m