• to those it may concern:

amazon is showing aa42 in stock @29.99 shipped via target.comTarget.com is as well showing that many target stores have them in-stock, though the local one I was at today was not one of the ‘fortunate’.

• Thanks LuckyDay!!

Online it shows that the 2 Target stores in Honolulu have it.  I’m driving there after work!!!

Will update everyone if I find it!

Happy Happy Day!!!

• yea thats what i heard. But i already got 6 coming on pre-order.

• I just picked up 2 from Target!!!

They only had one box, 4!

I’m going to open it now and take a look.  Will post anything I find.  No pictures but.

Thank you, LuckyDay, you really made my day!

+1 karma

• First observation, the box is a lot smaller than I expected.

15 1/2 by 10 1/4 by 3 inches.

Second observation, the rule book is printed on high quality paper (I think same as AA50 but I don’t want to bust out my AA50 to compare).

Love the intro by Larry Harris.  He describes playing the game as Germany!

Two victory conditions 9 VC or 12 VC.

Clear concise rule book.

Destroyers: Unit Characteristics: Anti-Sub vessel: A destroyer cancels the treat hostile seazones as friendly unit characteristics of any enemy submarines that move into the sea zone with it.  If a destroyer is along the battle strip, it cancels the submersible, surprise strike, and cannot be hit by air units unit characteristics of all enemy submarines in that battle.

The rule book uses unit characteristics similar to how Magic the Gathering uses abilities of the cards.  Simple but effective.

More to come!

• Roundels are nice and thick!

Wow, the setup cards are really small.  4 3/4 by 3!

The casualty strip is small also 9 1/2 by 3.

There is no list for # of units that the game comes with.

The dice are black with red dots and red with black does.

The IC and aa guns look nice, it’s pre-separated.  Not sure if the aa guns are new sculpts, I will have to compare it to all the other games.

Love the new sculpts!  Especially the arms!!!  Details are crisp and the plastic feels heavy (hopefully better quality).

Germany is listed as Gray but looks more like black.

No change in maps other than CUs and WCa.  Same IPC values.

The map is tiny!  Similar problem like AA50, hard to see the boundaries especially for Germany.  The starting placement is enough to takes up most if not all the space in Europe.

Sorry if this is a repeat of other reviews.

• Anywhere to get this in Canada yet??

• I would cross the border to the nearest Target!!!

Make sure you check online at target.com to see if they have it in stock first.

• Already tried them through amazon, they don’t ship to Canada :(

• I meant can’t you drive down to a Target in US?  Load up the games in your car and drive back to Canada?

• you gave measurements for the player aids
    have you got measurements for the size of the map?

• I’m sure I measured it but I don’t see it on my post.  I’ll look for my notes, if not I’ll remeasure the map.  The measurement of the map is misleading as couple inches on the map on the bottom is taken up by the part to keep track of everyone’s IPC.  I’ll provide the size of the game board and the actual size of the map portion only.  I measured both but like an idiot didn’t put post it.  Thanks for catching it.

The game board is 33 by 20.

The actual map is 30 by 20, you lose 3 inches on the bottom from the extra IPC tracking board.

• Im not going to purchase one.  It looks like revised edition.  I just wish I had been a fan of Axis and Allies before Anniversary sold out.

• @gnasape:

I meant can’t you drive down to a Target in US?  Load up the games in your car and drive back to Canada?

Its a long drive for me to go to the States just for a $30 board game.

@Real:

Im not going to purchase one.  It looks like revised edition.

It’s perfect for a guy like me who had my Revised stolen  :wink:

• @Trujew:

@gnasape:

I meant can’t you drive down to a Target in US?  Load up the games in your car and drive back to Canada?

Its a long drive for me to go to the States just for a $30 board game.

@Real:

Im not going to purchase one.  It looks like revised edition.

It’s perfect for a guy like me who had my Revised stolen  :wink:

It’s a longer drive for me from HI, at least Canada is connected to the mainland US.

Let me know if you need a set, I can always mail it to you!

If you buy in bulk and share it with friends it might be worthwhile.  ROAD TRIP!!!

• I just recently bought a house and As I was going through my parents attic, I found my original version of axis and allies. probably from around 1985. It is missing some pieces so I decided to look on google to aquire maybe a used set on ebay or something. I had no idea how big this game is. I was quite amazed. Then I noticed that they were releasing a “new” version in august 09, My local target had it and I just had to buy it.  Now I havent played this game in probably 10 to 15 years, but this is what I noticed.  The actual playing area compared to my old version is a lot smaller. I have heard people complaining about the money. I don’t believe the original version had money either so I wasn’t disappointed about that. The peices look great, Germany looks black to me, no longer grey. The Development card is no longer in the set(weapon research) The set up cards and the attack board are smaller. The ipc’s are located on the board. The board is really nice but it does not have extra areas to store battalions like the old version for places such as germany, the UK, and Japan.  Overall I am quite excited for tis version, it was a game I played a lot as a kid and know I will enjoy as an adult. maybe if I new about the other versions in years past, I might not appreciate this one as much.  I just ordered Battle of the buldge and D-day. anyway

Enjoy it for what it is, Probably one of the best board war games I have ever played

IMS

• So, my group of friends played Europe & Pacific pretty extensively and are just getting back into the A&A universe (unfortunately, a little too late to get the great sounding Anniversary Edition), and I was wondering…  we’re going to be playing 1942 tomorrow night with 4 players…  how would you guys play with 4 people?  2 Allies vs. 2 Axis?  or 1 Axis vs. 3 Allies?

Thanks!!!

• It should be the same as Revised, each player playing one of these:

• UK
    • USSR & USA
    • Germany
    • Japan

It works pretty well

• @IMS:

The actual playing area compared to my old version is a lot smaller.

could you do a quick measurement?
    I would be keen to know size of Classic(1985)

@gnasape:

The game board is 33 by 20.

The actual map is 30 by 20, you lose 3 inches on the bottom from the extra IPC tracking board.

just noticed you replied by editing
    thanks for the info :-)

so it seems AA1942(2009) is about the same as Revised(2004)
    33x20 (31x18)

• my old board from 1985 is 18 1/2 by 32 inches. . it then has 2.5 x 2 inch squares along the top for
    west indies : Gibralter : United Kingdom : Germany : japan : Phillipine Islands : Okinawa : Wake Island : Midway : Hawaiian Islands.   They were used for overflow.

Just to give an idea of how much smaller the area is:

1985 Western US dimensions are 3.5 x 3. for the new version it is 2 x 1.5   I don’t know how you are supposed to fit anything on there.  Eastern US added Central on the new board, so eastern is even smaller. The board looks real nice, but not too sure about playability.  They should have made a seperate board for IPC and not included it on the playing board. it would have given approx 32 x 3 inches more to play area.  I’m thinking of trying to take some nice photos of the board and going to my local print shop and having it enlarged.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m