• hi,

i’ve been playing A&A for a while now, but many times we find ourselves ending up in having discussions and reading the booklet again and again. please help me out!!!

about empty countries.

-when there are 6 russian inf on buryatia and 0 japanese units on manyouria:
    can russia walk in but not capture, or do they need a tank before they may actually enter?

about blitzing

-can you blitz 2 countries in one turn with one tank? by example: a german tank, located in anglo-egypt, blitzing belgian congo and ending in south rhodesia, blitzing both?

submerging subs
    UK1: german sub in SZ8 gets attacked by RAF but is able to submerge. is it submerged till G2? so USA1 figs can’t go after it?
    and, when it is submerged till G2, only a usa destroyer can kill it, right?

BB hit.
    your BB survived a fig attack/sea battle, whatever. your BB got hit once, you lay it on it’s side. till: the end of this battle/turn/next round?

heavy bombers.
    many times i’ve seen that usa is developping heavy bombers in usa 1 or 2, then producing a lot of them, 2-3 per turn. the whole europe-russia-japan landwar doesnt seem to make any sense then. in round 4-5 usa is able to make devastating SBRs on both germany AND japan. allies always win?

SBRs
    i read some A&A Q&A about SBRs. when 2 USA heavy bombers SBR tokyo, and roll 10 per bomber(so 20 total) japan loses 16? (because the maximum for japan is 8 per bomber) or do they only just loose 8 because thát’s the maximum?

can japanese fighters located in japan defend when it’s SBR?
    can german fighters located in norway defend/fight when RAF flies over? (i know, they should take the baltic sea in this scenario, but just for example)

sorry, i still feel like a noob in some points but i really wanna learn this game!!!

• Empty countries

If you have Russians on Buryatia and nothing in Manchuria, Russia may walk in any number of units(in range) to capture the territory. Infantry have a range of 1 so they can enter any friendly or hostile territory adjacent to the one they’re in. Even if it was occupied, Russia could still attack if they thought they could win. There’s no rule that says you need a tank to capture a territory. In fact, if you can’t hold a territory, you may not want to commit tanks or large numbers of units to claim it. If in your example, Russia can take Manchuria, they can just send one inf to get paid for the territory and the other 5 can either come with, stay on Bury, or retreat to Yakut depending on how safe they are.

Blitzing

Yes, you can blitz two countries with one tank assuming there are no enemy units in the first territory.

Submerging subs

If the German sub submerges, it resurfaces at the end of the UK turn meaning that the USA can still try to sink it. Just a tip to whoever is playing Germany: That particular sub is useful on their first turn so that they can attack the UK’s med battleship with the sub and 3-4 fighters. It’s nice when that sub lives but it’s purpose is to prevent Germany from losing fighters.

Battleships

When the BB survives a sea battle and gets one hit applied to it, the battleship is considered repaired at the end of that battle.

Heavy Bombers

In interest of balance, you’ll want to start nerfing the Heavy Bombers and the SBR’s. In the box rules, each heavy bomber can do 10 damage assuming you’re bombing Germany. If you have around 5-6, Germany is lucky to have any money left.

In LHTR 2.0 (Larry Harris Tournament Rules) Heavy Bombers are rolling two dice and picking one of them and then if you’re bombing a factory, you add one to the result. Each factory cannot lose more than the territory’s value on each enemy’s turn. So the Berlin factory can’t lose more than $10 on one Allied turn and Moscow factory cannot lose more than 8 on one Axis turn. The factories could take 20 and 16 damage in all between the two powers likely to have bombers in one round, that is legal.

Fighters don’t defend during bombing raids or during a fly over unless you want to come up with some house rules. They only defend when the territory or sea zone they’re in is being attacked.

• okay, thanks a lot!
    I misunderstood the blitzingrules. the box rules say: ‘you can claim an unoccupied territory by blitzing’, which sort of suggests you can’t claim an unnocupied territory without a tank.

considering this, i don’t get the japanese strategy ‘take china with 7inf on J1’. this leaves FIC and MANC very vulnerable. you actually give them away to india and buryata. ofcourse, a japanese counterattack will be able to wipe them away, but this feels like a waste.

I’ll have to come up with a new strategy, that’s for sure  :-)

• Reminded me of some questions I had, normally I make up a quick house rule untill rule is resolved :P

Can you take fighter planes on a bombing mission with you to absorb attacks?  I am thinking no and their movement would probably make it hard to use anyways.

After the anti aircraft guns fire at  your bombers to you first roll to see if you hit or do you just roll straight to see how much money you hurt them for.

If I understand the rule correctly no matter how many bombers your bring your dmg the economic dmg can only be as high as that’s territory value?

Thanks

• Official Q&A

@eqarigon:

Can you take fighter planes on a bombing mission with you to absorb attacks?  I am thinking no and their movement would probably make it hard to use anyways.

No.

@eqarigon:

After the anti aircraft guns fire at  your bombers to you first roll to see if you hit or do you just roll straight to see how much money you hurt them for.

You just roll for the damage.

@eqarigon:

If I understand the rule correctly no matter how many bombers your bring your dmg the economic dmg can only be as high as that’s territory value?

Each bomber can do up to the territory’s IPC value in damage, assuming you’re using the box rules.  If you’re using the Larry Harris Tournament Rules, the total damage can’t exceed the territory’s IPC value.

• Gosh darn it, Krieghund!  How’s a guy supposed to work his way up to being the AA mini-answer guy if you keep answering all the questions!

Keep up the good work!  Think about washing your robes once in a while, I know it was white but turned grey due to dirt!!!

• do allies always win when they focus on heavy bombers using the box rules?

US builds lots of heavy bombers and bombs japan to hell.
    UK builds up just enough defense for UK, and produces some bombers too. if Russia in this situation can just hold the German front and the UK indian fleet wipes away the germans in Africa, the axis are doomed. the can’t buy the same amount of HBs (at least germany can’t) because they really have to focus on the landbattles.

but please, prove me wrong  :-o

ciao

• Hey blitzkrieg bob,

Question: do you play with a bid?

If not, allies have a major advantage in AAR.  Please take a look at implementing a bid for your games.

Our group usually does 9 bid (3 inf or 1 art, 1 arm or 1 trn, 1 IPC, etc, etc for either Germany or Japan).

The German bid usually goes to Africa so that Egypt can be taken in R1.

Good luck on your games.

• no, we never did. but it sounds interesting. so i will introduce it  :-)
    thanks

• Here’s a good thread on bidding

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=10438.0

Basically it boils down to how many units & IPC does it take to balance the game out.

Against a great player, you might need more…

I take it as I’m willing to play Axis for X IPC.

Also with heavy bombers, others use LHTR (Larry Harris Tournament Rules) where the most damage bmbs can do is limited to the total IPC value of the territory, some use 2X.  Yes, heavy bombers using OOB (Out of the Box) rules seem unfair but it’s still possible to win if you can go after the bmbs.  Deny the bmbs places to land, if all US/UK are buying bmbs than there is less ground troops, etc, etc.  Finding the right balance, but even than I would suggest going with the bid, and a few minor changes.  Take a look above LHTR is stickied.

Good luck and Good gaming!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m