• I’m wondering what everyone things the new changes of rules to revised, er aa42, will have on the game.

1- Transports: Lower cost is nice but the fact they do not fight will be interesting.  It hurts all sides, but the allies and japan the most.  The baltic fleet is pretty much screwed because of this and sub changes.  In the end I feel it will help make KJF a bit stronger, and KGF a bit weaker.

2- Subs: Once again lower cost but the rules with planes help to make baltic fleet die maybe even on R1 (not that I would but you could).  The interesting thing is UK has no DDs left in the atlantic, so that will be interesting.  I can really see Germany placing a few in the med to help deter allied landings.

3- Destroyers: With them only costing 8 and the lower incomes in 42, I believe these will be the backbone of the allied fleets.  It is interesting though how few are on the board on turn 1.

4- Cruisers: I still thing there terrible, but, time will tell.  The interesting thing is the DDs that were lost because of this change, and the UK BB getting downgraded in the med.

5- Bombers: I think the 12 IPC bomber will be terrifying for the axis to face.  It will help the US face down Japan, and SBRing could become truly problematic for Germany.  I really don’t see Germany building alot of these, with the reduced incomes and larger production capability in 42, but we shall see.

In the end though, just with the minor changes, the game will be interesting to me at least.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Honestly, I’m not planning to buy or play AA42.  What’s the point?

• It will be a new experience playing “Revised” with most of the AA50 rules. AA50 will still probably be more fun than AA42, but I would not dismiss AA42 until I played it several times.

• 42 is gonna be a ‘beer n pretzels’ style game.  Not as long, not as complex.  This is not a weakness.

And honestly, if you don’t care about it why are you in this forum replying to an attempt to initiate a discussion on how the changes will effect typical strats.  I believe on most forums that is considered to be a green thing under bridges.  There are other threads to complain in.

• @Cmdr:

Honestly, I’m not planning to buy or play AA42.  What’s the point?

Sorry Jen, I have to give you your first smite from me, for your attitude at this thread.

• I think the big changes will be in Turn 1. It will be easy to sink the UK fleet, since one battleship is traded into a cruiser. Also Germany will not be shut down from SBR like they did in Revised. They can repair damage and purchase units every second turn, on will. In revised they loosed money every time, but now it is a limit.

• Let opinions be heard. Jennifer does not even open her games… they are all sealed in the plastic wrap.

Plastic bits appeal to men anyway. WE like toys.

AA42 is a game for new people and not for the hard cores.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m