Russia- AA 50 tech trees and a roll of 3 bad joke!

• This happened to me last night. I got a breakthrough then rolled a 3 on chart 1 (ground). Got paratroopers oh boy! I don’t have a bmr or much $ to buy one. The front is normally at one of my IC’s so getting inf there isn’t much of a problem. The only use is maybe vs Jap or somewhere off the med, but again I don’t have a bmr. I guess I could try to come up with some use but it might be more costly then its worth for Russia. I told my enemy the only thing that could have been worse is if I rolled chart 2 and got a 3 (shipyards).
    **I read on another post (sorry don’t remember where) something similar. That person was talking about a house rule to switch paratroopers w/radar. Both tech’s would deal w/air units on a ground chart but at least Russia would have a better use for radar. As it stands Russia would most likely never get radar because normally she wouldn’t roll the 2nd chart. Has anyone else made this change.

• Paras can be very valuable for soviets: if Scandinavia is freed, you only need one more territory to take the 10 IPCs NO for USSR -> send your bomb to Caucasus (or deploy the newly buit there), you can now menace both Romania and Balkans, both targets for that NO. You can do some wicked things if you base the bomb at Karelia: why not trade nwe and France with soviets instead of doing it with western allies?

Be imaginative. Paras are one of the best techs you can get with any country. Even italians can annoy making landings at Gibraltart or Egypt or such

The good thing rolling tech with soviets is that all tech in land tech tree are good. You cannot get a bad one, since even super artillery are very good in case you lack of aircraft

• I look at it as 1 bmr or 3 tanks when playing Russia. I may explore its uses. The game I’m in now Japan has some open tt, could be $ grab. May go into Africa, but UK & US have just landed there. First I have to buy a bmr a luxury I’m not sure Russia can afford. I try to buy a fighter w/Russia every round early on when she has $. Maybe an extra $5 for bmr will pay off.

• I still feel Russia would be better served w/radar. Mainly because the axis are normally trying to take her out first. Soviets are mostly on defense. Radar would help them deter SBR, or maybe take out an enemy bmr or two. Radar also comes with no extra costs, I don’t have to spend another $15+inf to use it. I don’t know if the designers just didn’t want Russia to get radar. Maybe historically they didn’t have it?  Maybe they didn’t pick this up through play testing I don’t know.

• @WILD:

**I read on another post (sorry don’t remember where) something similar. That person was talking about a house rule to switch paratroopers w/radar. Both tech’s would deal w/air units on a ground chart but at least Russia would have a better use for radar. As it stands Russia would most likely never get radar because normally she wouldn’t roll the 2nd chart.

find it here
    http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1800

I have not used it as a house rule yet, but that might be worth a try.

I feel that the Paratroopers Tech should be on the Air/Naval chart, because it takes owning (many) aircraft to use them.

• @WILD:

I still feel Russia would be better served w/radar. Mainly because the axis are normally trying to take her out first. Soviets are mostly on defense. Radar would help them deter SBR, or maybe take out an enemy bmr or two. Radar also comes with no extra costs, I don’t have to spend another $15+inf to use it. I don’t know if the designers just didn’t want Russia to get radar. Maybe historically they didn’t have it?  Maybe they didn’t pick this up through play testing I don’t know.

I like Improved Industry more than Radar for SBR defense, at least for soviets. It’s in land tech tree so you don’t have to risk getting crappy naval techs. Also, you can afford trade Caucasus (well, only a bit), since you could build 8 guys from Moscow

By the way, bombers cost now 12, not 15. At start I thougth It was a design error, but now I found it has a lot of sense

• Yea your write w/cost of bmr, my bad. It still cost you to use this tech, where radar is no extra cost. If you are going to use paratroopers effectively more then one is preferred. It would be used more by Germany trying to get into Africa, or UK; US & Jap for island hopping etc. Powers that are more offense minded or have the sea to deal with. Russia is normally on defense and on the main continent. It has no problem getting inf to the front.
    **I agree that imp fact tech is great for Russia and that kinda proves my point. She would roll trying to get that tech because its in the ground chart. If radar was in the ground chart it would have 2x the chance of defending against SBR. As it is Russia would not get radar unless by some freakish chance it had most of the tech in chart 1 or was building a navy. I’m not saying SS & HB wouldn’t be fun for Russia, but she generally can’t afford such luxuries.

• @WILD:

If you are going to use paratroopers effectively more then one is preferred.
    **I agree that imp fact tech is great for Russia and that kinda proves my point. She would roll trying to get that tech because its in the ground chart. If radar was in the ground chart it would have 2x the chance of defending against SBR.

Well said. (+1 for you)

• Thanx Bad Speller

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

The game linked in my signature is a game in which Russia lucked out and got paratroopers!  I think there were only a few rounds Russia ended up NOT getting the +10 IPC NO!

It was also, probably, the longest game in history.

PS: Russia won the game, despite England falling early!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m