• I have a 7 year old (close to 8) and we love to play heroscape together.  He has seen me play AA with some friends and loves anything with guns and so wanted to play.  I figured he was too young, especially with knowing what to buy/where.  I have looked at some of the modules like Battle of the Bulge and D-Day and thought he might be able to handle them, without becoming discouraged at the complexity.  Are there any modules that are somewhat easy and you would suggest?  Thanks for the help.

• Official Q&A

Welcome, Conan!

Of all of the A&A boardgames, the “base” game is as “simple” as any.  The others are either just as complex or more complex.  Of those others, D-Day is probably the easiest to play, but it’s no easier than the original.

• @Krieghund:

Welcome, Conan!

Of all of the A&A boardgames, the “base” game is as “simple” as any.  The others are either just as complex or more complex.  Of those others, D-Day is probably the easiest to play, but it’s no easier than the original.

D-Day is easier in that you do not have a purchase decision to make. You get units based upon the dice.

It is an easier game, but still fun to play.

• Thanks for the hlep.  I am looking for something easier to play (or as easy as possible) and the modules looked that way (more condensed, more focused combat over a smaller area, etc.)  I thought d-Day didn’t look too bad either, but any other suggestions would be welcome.  Thanks again everyone.

• I would think Risk, the newer versions have army figures I think.

• I would also recommend D-Day as an introductory A&A experience

• Customizer

I’d start out with Risk and make sure that he likes that before moving on.

you can always add rules to risk, or remove rules from AA to decrease its complexity.  Perhaps try playing a Germany vs Russia game, with the rest of the board off limits, just to get him used to playing A&A.  (and no tech, and no strategic bombing, and maybe even no bombardment or antiaircraft guns).

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I find Dday very technical, with all its different stages, cards, and special unit rules.

i also find it can be very frustrating.

play risk, play chess, then play AA Revised (simplfy it like the others suggested if you feel you need to)  this will teach him the very basics.  how to grow an army through resources, then how to use different units effectively together.

once he is well versed, not even you will be able to stop him! :)

• '16 '15 '10

@dondoolee:

I would think Risk, the newer versions have army figures I think.

Yeah I’d say Risk is more appropriate for a 7 year old… I learned A&A when I was 14 and it was confusing then lol.

Wasn’t there a version of Risk that had a map scenario where there were 6 powers…kinda like WW1?  Might be good for a more strategic element.

• Customizer

I’ve heard very good things about Lord of the Rings Risk, which I want to play but haven’t yet

• I have played the lotr risk game. I love it! Very fun, though not really like AA. Cool pieces as well.

• if you guys are looking to play axis and allies,  i think d-day would most likely be the easiest - you dont have to decide what to buy, it is all predetermined,  pretty much just choose where to go and roll.  my 8yo daughter has been getting into my aa50 games, i let her help set up (good geography lesson)  but she doesnt grasp the ideas of what to buy for what reasons.  we tried d-day and she thought it was cool.

risk is always a good game too.

• One thing not mentioned so far is that D Day (and similarly- Bulge) tend to be shorter games.  We can generally get a D-Day game over in the neighborhood of 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  That’s much less than some of the 6 hour classic bloodfests we’ve had.

Of the two, I’d probably go with D-Day as the objectives are clearly stated and the rules are pretty simple.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m