• Hello everyone, my AA50 game group needs a clarification on AA guns in land combat. Are we correct in assuming that these units particpate in land combat with a defense strength of 1, as indicated in the in the AA gun unit description? If so, is this true even for uncaptured, unaccompanied AA guns?

• @wustenfuchs:

Hello everyone, my AA50 game group needs a clarification on AA guns in land combat. Are we correct in assuming that these units particpate in land combat with a defense strength of 1, as indicated in the in the AA gun unit description?

AA guns only fire at aircraft, so your ‘land combat’ statement is a bit misleading.

If there are air units in the battle for a piece of land (a.k.a. a territory) and there is an AA gun, then the gun gets one die for each attacking plane (roll the ftrs and bombers seperately).  This is an opening fire roll.  This means the AA gun only gets to shoot once before the remainder of regular combat resolution.  Once fired, the AA guns are removed from the battle (and placed back into the territory).

If so, is this true even for uncaptured, unaccompanied AA guns?

If the land is defended by only an AA gun, why would someone use air power against such a territory?

• @axis_roll:

If so, is this true even for uncaptured, unaccompanied AA guns?

If the land is defended by only an AA gun, why would someone use air power against such a territory?

….and this is the reason we got rules erreta and FAQ’s after every new edition. You playtesters dont ask yourselves the right questions when you playtest. You automatic assume everybody think like yourselves. Well, I got news for you.

• Actually, our question came from reading the manual. The unit profile for an AA gun lists a defense value of ‘1’. Although special combat abilities are described, there is no text that I see that says that the tabulated defense factor of ‘1’ is anything other than a defense factor in the same sense as that excercised by an infanty, artillery, or tank. The only other unit subject to capture, an IC, has a tabulated defense factor of ‘NA’.

Thus, our question on AA guns…

• Official Q&A

I think it’s pretty clear how AA guns work from reading their unit profile in the Rulebook.  However, I agree that the defense value listed could be a bit misleading.  On the other hand, this value has been in place since Revised (we playtesters are so awful that we can actually go back in time and screw things up in the past  :roll:), and to my knowledge this is the first time that this question has ever been asked.  Maybe it would be better if the defense value value were listed as “Special”.

As for ICs, they’re defense is “NA” because they never fire under any circumstances, which is not true of AA guns.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m