• I was thinking this would be a fortified (fort/bunker piece) territory that boarders water.  It would work kind of like an AA gun, firing on each attacking ship during an amphibious assault in the opening fire stage.  Whole transports could be blown sky high before they hit the beach.

• these fire twice at 3 on defense preemptively each round against ships performing invasions or passing close channels.

cost is 6-8 These cannot move. They are only damaged on rolls of one and take X number of hits. ( making infantry as best to defeat them)

• Do they particpate in a naval battle that is adjacent?

and where are the close channels?

• Close channel:

English Channel

Danish straights

Turkish

Gibraltar

they fire if enemy ships cross these, plus they fire preemptively before invasions on attacked land territory.

• Firing @ 3-2x sounds a little to powerful for an $8 piece firing at ships. I guess that it would fire w/your coastal ships, because the enemy would have to clear the sz to land amp assault. If sea battle lasted 2 rounds this battery has the potential (50% rolls @ 3) to destroy 4 ships? Cost could be $30-$40 easy for the enemy. I have taken AA guns and painted the tips red using them for coastal defense/straights, but didn’t give them that much of a punch. Having a bunker piece is going to be great! I see why you would want them to fire 2x to have the ability to sink a lone BB passing through a straight or at least ding it if it was part of a fleet attacking your ships. Maybe fire @ 1-2x preempt and is upgraded with radar @ 2 for defending against ships? To give it more dimension allow inf +1 def in tt if attacked by land, or once amp troops land. Maybe allow the enemy to capture them, use damage markers to reduce its capacity some how? Then who ever owns it pays for repairs to bring it back online. What do you think?

• Why should they not be able to fight in a naval battle they are adjacent too?

• Because these guns cant range that far . The SZ is like 1,000 miles across and guns at most are 20 miles ( actually much shorter than that)

The only distances in reach potentially are the listed straights and if they were to invade the same territory were the gun is said to protect.

• but wouldn’t a capable defender have the battle close to the shore or a port so that the power of the guns would come into play. maybe only for the first round, like shore bombardment but opposite.

• yes but only when that happens….during invasions. Not during the time any enemy ships just passes into and out of the SZ that happens to border the land territory with coastal gun.

• but in order to truly control a sea zone you would have to attack the enemy ships somewhere near port in order to ensure they would fight you, amphbious invasion or not, so wouldn’t the guns be in range then.

• no not really, instead your blockading them like what was done in WW1 and the Civil War.

UK blocked the German high seas fleet by posting ships at ports adjacent to north sea. This would present a standoff, and the German player would also be ‘holding’ the British fleet. This is exactly what happened to the Tirpitz in Norway, as it held down many British units that could be used elsewhere.

This is good for the game.

• ok sounds good

• IL, I still say firing 2x @ 3 is to strong ( maybe you missed my above post). Could you explain why you would give them so much fire power against very expensive ships? Dose history reflect enemy ships taking that kind of hit when coming close to land or ports? I know they would be a good deterrent. Also will these batteries double as a bunker to give support to ground troops defending tt after a sea battle, or during a normal ground battle w/o ships. Or would you need a separate piece for this.

• Well the issue is they are mostly gonna get one crack at invading forces and players would just buy a tank for 5 bucks which can move around, so for two rolls of 3 preemptively and no movement it can make sence to buy a fortress for 6 IPC.

Consequently, if you had some gizmo firing at 4 that does not move costing say 3 i suspect most players will buy too many of these because its like an automated hit. The idea is to make them purchased in quantities in equal portion to other units RATHER than “hey these suckers at 3 IPC are really nice ill take 15 of them!”

They need some special thing about them or players may just buy a tank which can be more useful.

a 4 unit costing 3 seems like it will be bought too much, while a 3 unit costing 4-5 is not useful either.

• @Imperious:

Well the issue is they are mostly gonna get one crack at invading forces and players would just buy a tank for 5 bucks which can move around, so for two rolls of 3 preemptively and no movement it can make sence to buy a fortress for 6 IPC.

Consequently, if you had some gizmo firing at 4 that does not move costing say 3 i suspect most players will buy too many of these because its like an automated hit. The idea is to make them purchased in quantities in equal portion to other units RATHER than “hey these suckers at 3 IPC are really nice ill take 15 of them!”

They need some special thing about them or players may just buy a tank which can be more useful.

a 4 unit costing 3 seems like it will be bought too much, while a 3 unit costing 4-5 is not useful either.

I agree.  Getting a bang for your buck is necessary for these new pieces.  They should also be somewhat costly as well.

• yes so if its 3 rolls of three, what price then?

i say 6, but 8 may work if they are preemptive.

limit one per territory…yes i like 8 better.

• If it’s 3 rolls of 3, at least 8.  That’s a pretty good unit.  I’d but a ton of those, for sure.

• ok.

• I think 10 or 12 PICs is still reasonable.

What about an infantry defense modifier?

Also, how much damage can these puppies take?

• they can be built up in levels limited to the IPC of territory.

First level costs 8, each level after is 6 or 5. perhaps takes one infantry to control this fortress or it does not fire?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m