Transporter rule clarification

• if japan attacks the phillipines with 2 transporter full of 4 units and uses a battleship to TRY to clear the seazone around the phillipines. What happens witth the 2 japanese transporters if the US destroyer kills the battleship and the destroyer survives (as US this has happened to me twice now and once as japan)?

1. can the transporters retreat to another seazone from which one or both of them came
    2. do they remain in the seazone along with the destroyer
    3. they just die to the remaining destroyer

• I believe you can retreat them out.

• '10

Hannibal is correct. Attacking transports are never considered defenseless as they have the option to retreat.

• so in this case they would be considered as all other naval units making an attack and then desciding to wirhdraw in the next round?

• '10

@Fighter:

so in this case they would be considered as all other naval units making an attack and then desciding to wirhdraw in the next round?

Yes, that is my understanding/interpretation of the rule. Be aware that these transports may become “defenseless” on the next turn if they are not retreated to a sz containing friendly surface ships and fall prey to the surviving ships which they attacked.

• Official Q&A

HannibalSW and Battlingmaxo are correct.  Attacking transports are generally not defenseless because they can retreat.  This means that they are not automatically destroyed.  In your example, the attacking transports can either retreat or continue to attack and eventually be destroyed by the defending destroyer.  (However, if the transports were unable to retreat for some reason, they would be defenseless and automatically destroyed.)

• thank you all for your help

• i think they would be defensless if the defender rolls enough to kill the other warships and still has enough rolls left to hit the transports, dont hold me to that, but it makes sense to me.

• generally they would, but in my example there is only one ship able to fire on each side and therefore transporters cannot be hit in this case.

• @takerwwe5849:

i think they would be defensless if the defender rolls enough to kill the other warships and still has enough rolls left to hit the transports, dont hold me to that, but it makes sense to me.

That was a good one.

Japan attack with one cruiser and 5 loaded trannies.
    US defend with 3 destroyers.

Japan roll no hits.
    US roll 3 hits.

One hit kill the jap cruiser. Will the 2 remaining hits auto-kill all 5 trannies, or only 2 trannies, and 3 trannies may retreat ?

Solve this, Kev  :?

• '10

Since all hits should be assigned if there is a target Iwould think 2 trns get hit and that round of combat is over. In the next round the  surviving attacking trns could retreat. I think the rule was created to eliminate endless rolling but it shouldnt alter the combat sequence.

• Official Q&A

Absolutely correct, Battlingmaxo.  This concept is illustrated by the transport combat example in the FAQ.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m