• Since the new bomber piece is basically a new mold and we are only getting one new bomber, as everybody knows that should be some kind of ‘heavy bomber’

These are purchased as a new unit provided you have heavy bomber technology. Rules for technology will need to change from OOB

Cost 15 IPC ( perhaps 16)

attack 4-defend -2, move -8

when dropping bombs for SBR rolls twice picks best result

These units cant be used for attacking naval

also they can transport 2 infantry during NCM or drop one attacking airborne.

• I like that except for the part about transporting units, bombers transporting units is just plain stupid.

Also, what if heavy bombers had a lower attack value like 2, so that regular or “medium/light” bombers still had a role to play after the Heavy bomber tech was researched. That is also historically accurate as medium and light bombers were more tactical and better at hurting regular military targets.

• light bombers would be 3-1
    Medium are 4-1
    Heavy are 4-2

Heavy bombers have capacity for many more machine guns and are more of a match than the other two against fighters.

no unit should be at 5 except with modifiers or technology. 4 is the magic number for cealing on normal AA units

• definitely like the increased price for HB after tech is garnered.  just because you can build them doesn’t mean they cost the same as smaller models.  more metal, more explosives, more fuel and all that…

• @Imperious:

light bombers would be 3-1
    Medium are 4-1
    Heavy are 4-2

Heavy bombers have capacity for many more machine guns and are more of a match than the other two against fighters.

no unit should be at 5 except with modifiers or technology. 4 is the magic number for cealing on normal AA units

I think the increased defence simulates the machine guns enough
    It would be so much easeir to represent aircraft stats if Air to Air combat were strandard

• Air to Air rules are too far outside of AA for purposes and scope of new pieces. The new pieces have to fit in the current rules as add on pieces w/o changes to existing OOB rules. Of course a few inconsistencies will occur, but aerial combat values is a true ‘house rule’

• @Imperious:

Air to Air rules are too far outside of AA for purposes and scope of new pieces. The new pieces have to fit in the current rules as add on pieces w/o changes to existing OOB rules. Of course a few inconsistencies will occur, but aerial combat values is a true ‘house rule’

but if you are going to take the time to come up with new air units and then play games with them, I would hope a person would also be interested in the historical and stratigic implication of Air-Air combat and dogfighting rules.

• nobody except hardcore history wargamers would appreciate that. These new units must have basic ‘plug and play rules’ about them that don’t disturb the OOB rules and fit very well in the current system. It cant be another AARHE 4.0.

People are asking for new pieces, and not wholescale changes in the OOB. Besides the rules should be able to plug in to all the other games with perhaps some minor tweeks on prices. That benefits them for maximum utility.

• @Imperious:

nobody except hardcore history wargamers would appreciate that.

Not in my expeirence, almost everyone I have played axis and allies with finds it weired that there infantry are shooting down fighters and the ones with the slightest concept of battle realize it is stupid for fighters to attack infantry when they can in reality choose and would often be forced to target the much more valuble enemy aircraft.

And if FMG whants to go the way of tabletactics and write rules for there units that no one sane person would play with, fine, but I am not going to write for them or say its a good idea.

• so you want a set of rules for using these pieces for like 6 different games? How bout they just make the basic rules work as plug and play, then have optional rules for specific situations. Table Tactics suffered from too much of the other way, where they didn’t even bother to consider how to integrate the pieces and they only supported the MB edition rules. Other times the selection like ‘jeeps’ just didn’t make any sence

• @Imperious:

How bout they just make the basic rules work as plug and play, then have optional rules for specific situations.

sure, as long as the specific situations includes dogfighting rules.

• yes using the 3,2,1 values (fighter, divebomber/HB, bomber) right?

• ok, but when you use the dogfighting rules the heavy bombers will atack at less that the regular bombers when attacking ground units

• planes use the dog fighting rules regardless of who is attacking or defending. If bombers are attacking or defending and face planes they are at 1,fighters 3, dive bombers 2.

Air combat then land combat round by round, once one side has no air units hits go against land units

• My question is do you think heavy bombers should be more effective at attacking ground units?

Becasue it is my understanding that medium and light bombers were more effective.

• Heavy and medium bombers should have the same attack values against land targets. Mediums and tactical take out armor, and Heavy are strategic carpet bombers and are doing different jobs. Just have them at the same values 4. The only difference is in Payload and the telling mark is for SBR, and longer range ( 2 spaces more for Hvy)

just keep them the same with minor changes for the extra 3 IPC spent ( 2 MP and choose which die to effect enemy industry)

Also, heavy bombers fly at higher ranges so possibly they are immune to flak fire.

Lastly, on air combat values jets rank at 4 for dogfights ( forgot to add)

• sounds good

• For me, a “light bomber” would a fighter equipped as a dive bomber/fighter bomber.  For this, I use the “Luftwaffe Dive Bomber” NA (both standard and Larry Harris Tournament Rules) and simply make it standard.  When enemy fighters aren’t present, a fighter may act as a dive bomber.  It attacks on a 5 in 1st round, or can strategic bomb for half a dice value.

Med bomb OOB

Heavy Bomber 4-2-6-15

I don’t agree that a bigger plane would…or maybe it would have better range?  Okay, say a HB has a base range of 8, does long range make it 10?  That’s too much for me.  That’s like a Cold War Age nuclear bomber.   
    Anyway, hits on best out of 2 dice, strategic bombing damage is highest dice +1.

• FMG is making a divebomber/torpedo bomber. ( possible 3-2 plane cost 8?)

the OOB is medium

Heavy is the tech bomber  (possible 4-2 move 8 cost 15)

• They are?  Each power gets a dive/torpedo bomber?  When was this announced?…How long was I away?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m