• '10

it could be worse….you could be china

• In the last game I played, Italy kept it’s entire fleet with the addition of another Transport from 1st round purchases. After that they just built a fighter + whatever other ground forces they could afford per turn. They took Ukraine 2 times, holding it the second time.Caucasus fell the next turn to the Italians. The turn after that they took Trans-Jordan and Libya back. Overall they were a great pain in the Allies side. They eventually had their own stack facing off against a British Tank stack in Anglo-Egypt Sedan, but the game ended with Russia crushed by the Germans, the Japanese planning an invasion of mainland U.S.A , and the Germans 1 turn away from an unstoppable Sealion.

So imo it depends how lucky,smart and resourcefull you are with them. :? :lol: 8-)

• make it historically with italy: loose against any army possible and roll 6’s, except with SBR and tech.

• in my last game, Italy fleet fell GB1, and Libya fell US2 :)

I was playing the Allies  :-D :-D :-D :-D

:-D

• Yea that happens only if Germany screws up and doesn’t take out the British fleet in sz 12 & 15.

• what i do is buind nothing but armor and march to the caucasus.with germany on the same page the results ive had are very good at giving russia a hard time early

• If you want to make waves with Italy then take Africa.  Also building your fleet up only a little bit can distract the Allies.

• '16 '15 '10

I see Italy’s role as dumping troops into Africa for as long as possible, and gradually building up armies to defend Western Europe.  I don’t buy as many Italian tanks in 42 as I would in 41 because the turn order does not support the can-opener.  However, sometimes Italians can reinforce German defensive positions on the Eastern front and give Russia problems that way.

• In 42 Italy can position tanks in Bulgaria or preferably Eastern Poland and those tanks can go through Eastern Ukraine or Ukraine(since Germany would take/clear the territory and support an attack on Caucuses. Mixed in with 2-3 transports, Caucuses must be well defended to prevent an Italian capture.

• I have played Italy a couple of times and found that the most important thing you should do is get all your NOs right away, first turn if possible with Germany’s help.

That means capturing Gibraltor, Trans-Jordan, and Egypt and getting rid of UK ships out of the Med. First round is good to buy a transport or a destroyer to help against subs.

You should try to build up your fleet a little right away, just to secure it, then start buying tanks and planes as you can afford it.

Then with your first full pay (including NOs) buy an aircraft carrier to really bug the Allies and help protect your fleet. After that you will only need to buy ships as the game play demands. The aircraft carrier with planes on it (even if they are German) is a great defense against attacks (sea and air) protecting your expensive Italian fleet you don’t want to loose.

After that combine your tank/plane attack strategy with the Germans and concentrate on Russia. Use Italy to take the first line of Russia defense and on the Germans next turn (before Russia gets to go) use an all out German offensive to capture and hold Moscow itself.

One game I also bought an aircraft carrier with Germany on the next turn after Italy did and then moved the two fleets together to create the ultimate fleet. Allies fell by game turn 6 in that game.

In conclusion Italy can actually be the cataclist for an Axis win. 8-)

• ITA can be a real burden for the Allies if left unchecked for too long. The fleet is key. The longer it can stay in the game, the more troops you get to move and shore bombardments you get to conduct. The problem is that UK can strike the fleet before it even has a chance to survive. If you see 2 bombers purchased on UK1, you can bet the ITA fleet won’t be around after UK2.

After that, ITA is purely in a supplemental defensive stance for GER.

• '10

@Frontovik:

make it historically with italy: loose against any army possible and roll 6’s, except with SBR and tech.

I think I have this down to a science….ask Darth Maximus :-D

• Last game we played ('42 w/ NO’s) Italy ended up with a fully loaded AC, 2 DD, 2 SS, 2 CA, 1 BB, 2 TR. The US tried to swing down to Morocco with an amphibious assault backed up by navy in round 4 but it was too little too late. Italy counter-attacked and wiped out the landing force and the navy (thank you Italian bomber).

• PantherP Panther locked this topic on

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m