• Sea battles aside, how about the ever-present question of China.

-China has been treated with varying degrees of attention through the AA-ages, but has generally been a red carpet for Tank Dashes to Moscow.  In a AAR sized game-map, how do you think the evolution of China should proceed to be properly setup for play?

• I think Japan should treat China with a threat, and use this thread to tall about it  :-D

• Nooo, seriously. After playing AA50, and gettin used to a China with many territories, it will be hard to get back to a two-territory China. So I think Larry should treat China by splittin it up in several territories, but that might be just a dream. Larry, or Greg Leeds, if you read this, please stop the map printing, and add some more territories to China. August is a long time away, so you got plenty of time to fix the map. I am counting on you on this one, guys.

• I)t would also be cool to get nation specific Chinese units, like infantry, artillery, tanks and aircrafts in own chinese sculpts. And maybe mountain terrain that favour the chinese defenders, and stop the tank rush to Moscow.

• I don’t know very much about the WW2 in the Pacific/Asia, the WW2 was mainly decided in Europe. But we should have some relevant Asian warfare also, although the global power policies for several decades was determined by the outcome of WW2, and in this context the European relevance was the strongest, and both Europe and Asia was important theaters for the post WW2 world.

It’s obvious that China is treated better in AA50 than Revised, but China should be a few more TTs than in Revised, but I think AA42 will have the exact same map as Revised with different rules, even though I hope that AA42 have a few more TTs than Revised.

• i suppose they could use same TTs if they had it setup with new rules that it takes 2 turns to move through each because of the terrain…  that’d be some progress…

from the notes thus far, probably won’t get any special units, but more TTs would give FMG chance to bring out some  :roll:

• AS per my house rules, China must be controlled on a turn that plays before Japan.

This would be the Soviets most likely or independently. 2 Infantry for each 2 spots is ok, but round fractions up…so 3 gets you 2

• Customizer

A combination of:

Lots of Chinese infantry - easy to replace but difficult to conquer;
    Difficult terrain - same in southern Europe, Iran etc;
    Low IPC values in China: the main reason Japan didn’t overrun the whole country was because it wasn’t worth the cost of occupying it.
    This of course means that Chinese units have to be generated in a different way, but this at least was addressed in A50.

Random thought: if using terrain types, should artillery support infantry in defence only in mountain areas?

• @Subotai:

I don’t know very much about the WW2 in the Pacific/Asia, the WW2 was mainly decided in Europe. But we should have some relevant Asian warfare also, although the global power policies for several decades was determined by the outcome of WW2, and in this context the European relevance was the strongest, and both Europe and Asia was important theaters for the post WW2 world.

It’s obvious that China is treated better in AA50 than Revised, but China should be a few more TTs than in Revised, but I think AA42 will have the exact same map as Revised with different rules, even though I hope that AA42 have a few more TTs than Revised.

we all hope that last…
    bigger china, and larger north africa :-)
    to bad they don’t take AA50 map, i really liked it
    (except eastern front, don’t ask me why, but liked revised eastern bit more.)

• 3 territory china
    the US may, in it’s mobilize units phase, place one infantry in any of chinese territory per turn if it wishes

Burma, French Indo-China Thailand, and Kwangtung are one territory again.
    One chinese territoy touches russia, one touches Kwangtung and Kiangsu. the other touches Kiangsu and Manchuria.

All have 2 infantry, the one in the south has a fighter.

Keep it simple….its AA42 not AA50:Redux

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

It is this gamers most humble, and requested, opinion that in the 1942 version of this game China is too strong.  In the 1941 version of this game China is too weak.

Changes Proposed:

1941: 1 Fighter moved from Yunnan to Chihang
    1941: +2 Infantry added to Chihang

1942: -1 Infantry in Suiyuan
    1942: -1 Infantry in Ningxia
    1942: -1 Infantry in Sikang
    1942: 1 Fighter, 1 Infantry moved from Yunnan to Chihang

In 1941, those changes should negate the need for Russia to send reinforcements and give China an opportunity to be an IPC sponge for Japan.

In 1942, those changes should make it even possible for Japan to take out China in a realistic amount of time for game play.

Note:  suggestions are only to make game play better, not to enhance historical accuracy.

• Jen, you do know we are in an AA42 discussion not AA50.

China will most likely get shrunk in the new game. I hope not to much. It would be nice to keep China as its own nation. Italy didn’t make the cut so I doubt if a separate China will, but who knows. If it goes back to US pieces I wonder if the US will be able to build an IC in Asia again. Maybe US can only deploy inf in China (limited) but other units have to shipped over. It would be cool if the inf were Chinese and the units shipped over could be converted with some limits, but again I don’t think it’ll happen. Maybe it will allow the US an IC in China w/limited builds. Say US purchases units like normal but can’t deploy them until its next turn. The delay shows the difficulty of getting units over there with some kind of lend lease deal.

• @Subotai:

I don’t know very much about the WW2 in the Pacific/Asia, the WW2 was mainly decided in Europe. But we should have some relevant Asian warfare also, although the global power policies for several decades was determined by the outcome of WW2, and in this context the European relevance was the strongest, and both Europe and Asia was important theaters for the post WW2 world.

Well… in a sense we hear more about the ramifications for Europe. But probably the single most important aspect in Asia of the allied victory was the liberation of an enormous part of China and millions of people there. Which though it isn’t spoken of as often is probably comparable to the ‘liberation’ of eastern Europe and the Caucasus, Ukraine and Belorussia. (I place it in quotation marks because we didn’t really liberate them - we gave them to Stalin).

It is undoubted that had Japan not been defeated - they would have been left with a massive, savagely administered empire throughout east Asia comparable in scale to the most megalomaniac of nazi ambitions in Europe.

• Not to mention that Japan would challenge both the USSR and USA in terms of industrial power and available resources in the post WWII period. With Japan controlling everything from Indonesia, the Philipines, Borneo, Korea, the Chinese coastline, South-east asia as well as all the shipping lanes between the western USA, Australia, India and the eastcoast of Africa, Japan would possibly out-do the USA and USSR.

Add to that that Japan would not have stopped expanding, so you could add China and India to the list of Japanese controlled territory, swelling the population in their Empire to about half of the earth’s total.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I’d actually like to see the following:

China always gets 3 infantry a round, no matter what.

If China controls 5 territories at the end of their round, they get their fighter replaced OR if they still have their fighter, they get a tank.

Japan may not attack more than 3 chinese territories in any given turn.

• The Soviets move first in AA42, they control China. China is now 6 territories and they produce infantry at rate of one per two (rounded up).

They have the existing rules from AA50 as far as deployment and movement restrictions.

Soviet units cannot enter any part of greater china ( includes Manchuria) until either Berlin falls or Japan attacks Soviet territories.

Chinese can enter Manchuria and reclaim it as control for production purposes

Starting army is one infantry each on 6 territories and fighter in Yunnan. I would give them an artillery.  Fighter is replaceable if USA flys a new plane. ( use the rules under AAE for how exchange of pieces is made.)

forgot to add: Japan must garrison each Chinese territory with at least one land unit or China reclaims control.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m