• i have the choice between guadalcanal and dday (local gameshop).  i have aa50 and would like a shorter version to play(aa50 to long for brief afternoon game).  could you give me some help i cant decide.  please give a couple reasons.

• GC is gonna give you all areas of the battlefield (land/sea/air), while DD is focused on land, with naval bombardment and strafing by the Allies, the Axis dont’ get any of it.

GC lets you pick (purchase) reinforcements, while DD has them set.

both are more segmented as far as what happens next, DD–now axis moves, now axis shoots, etc, GC–move axis crusiers, move allied crusiers, move axis etc…

GC is based on victory points to win, DD is based on control of 3 victory cities.

GC gives you crusiers…

both are focused in on a small section of the war, also like bulge, so strategies may not swing as widely, but you should be locked in the struggle for just about the whole game.

If you want ease of play and get into the battle quick or with less thought than AA50, go DD, if you want wider range of combat and slightly longer game than DD may want to choose GC.

at least my .02 cents…  personally, i have and enjoy both, so pointing out some of the differences is probably the most help

• LuckyDay has hit the high points.

D-day is the weakest version but it is also the fastest once you get the turn sequence down should get most games in under 2-1/2 hours and if you want to have beers while playing the most forgiving to less than complete focus.

GCNL is a bit longer but it can FEEL faster with alternating movement of each units (1st player moves TRNS, next player moves TRNS, then BBs and so on) and keeps you involved cause you don’t really have your turn/opponents turn.

GCNL has much more in the naval and logistics departments and a random casualty system.

Poke around the boards there are many threads on this version vs. that version.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m