• You must have some pretty chil neighbors :-)

• '10

Hi ET

My neighbors either love me or fear & hate me.  That’s pretty much the par when you own a weaponized military vehicle.  They tend to draw extreme reaction.  Especially when it says “A WHOLE CAN OF WHOOPASS!” on the side of the turret. :-D  Fortunately the neighbors around me love the vehicle.  Those who don’t tend to keep to themselves. :-D

Normally though, the weapons aren’t mounted except for special occasions when I take it to a parade.  When I do, the vehicle is fully loaded as shown in the picture.  However, before I do that.  I always notify local law enforcement as to who I am, what I’m doing and the area I’ll be traveling in.  I also offer to take it to the police station for inspection if they wish.  They really appreciate it and will keep you out of any serious trouble should any issues arise.  Most cops I run into though are interested in playing with the toys themselves!  :-D

By the way, the avatar that I use with German sdkfz251, I know the owner.  He has 2 of them in Chandler Arizona.  They are actually modified Czech OT-10.  For more info on them, you can go here.  http://www.sdkfz251.com/  I wouldn’t mind having one of these in my inventory.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

I’ll go ahead and add my version of the Paratrooper Rule:

Cost 4, Att 1, Def 1. Delivery method: Your choice, whatever you like best. LH rule is good (bomber drops one into first hostile zone), or many of the others here are great as well.

Here’s the kicker: Special ability- Match either 1-1 or 1-2 (haven’t play tested enough yet to decide) with DEFENDER’S UNITS, reducing the defender unit by 1 Def.

Example: 1 tank and 1 paratrooper attack 1 infantry and 1 tank. Attackers = 1@3 (tank) and 1@1 (para). Defenders = 1@2 (inf) and 1@2 (tank) instead of 1@3 (tank). If you decide to match 1-2, then defender would be 1@1 (inf) and 1@2 (tank)

Thoughts?

• '10

Thanks Variable

Much appreciated.

• Here is my take on paratroopers using some of the fine ideas from previous post.

PARATROPERS
    Description: These specialized units have the ability to drop behind enemy lines and disrupt enemy defenses.
    Cost: 4
    Attack: 1 (2 when supported by artillery)
    Defense: 1
    Move: 1 (2 if attacking by air)
    Special Abilities

Infiltration: When a paratrooper unit makes an attack by air it lowers the defense of one enemy unit by -1 for the first round of combat. (The attacking player may choose which unit to target)

Supported by Artillery: When a paratrooper unit attacks along with an artillery unit, the paratrooper’s attack value increases from 1 to 2. Each paratrooper must be matched one-for-one with supporting artillery. Paratroopers can only receive the bonus from artillery if they making a normal attack from the ground.

Airborne Tokens: Every time a paratrooper unit makes an attack by air it must discard its airborne token. Airborne tokens cost 2 IPCs. Airborne tokens are bought during the purchase phase and placed under paratrooper units on one-to-one bases during the place unit phase. Airborne tokens may be placed under any paratrooper unit as long as its in a territory that’s been held for one turn.

Notes

1. Like many people have mentioned previously, paratroopers are lightly armed so that justifies making them attack and defend at 1. The paratrooper’s most powerful weapon against an enemy is surprise so this would equate to an enemy fighting less effectively not adding greater firepower to the paratroopers.

2. I felt that paratroopers are elite units so their numbers need to be indirectly limited somehow. Instead of limiting a player to just one purchase per turn I just made every special airborne attack cost additional IPCs. This way you can make as many paratroopers in the game as you want but its going to cost you.

3. Since the airborne tokens are representing transport plains and possibly gliders as well there deployment movement should be treated just like bombers and fighters. OOB rules state that no air unit can land in a territory that was just captured that turn. Thus airborne tokens can only be placed in a friendly territory that has been held for one turn.

4. I am still a little worried that paratroopers will be abused even with the IPC cost for each airborne attack. I don’t want capitols to be taken by just paratroopers as this would not be historical. Paratroopers where almost always supported by conventional ground forces. With this in mind I was considering banning paratroopers from being able to take enemy territories with out ground support. Then again this might be to extreme.

5. I choose paratroopers costing 4 because when you add the 2 IPC airborne token, it adds up to 6 IPC’s.(One more than tanks)  In my opinion training men to jump out of plains behind enemy lines and having the right amount of plains/fuel for transporting a entire division by air would cost more that building one armor division.

• I have had Paratroops in my house rules since 1984. It is obvious what their stats are; 1 Att, 1 Def, 1 Move Cost 4. Paratroops must be carried by a Bomber, hence, their true cost is 19 (4/Para & 15/Bomb). Paratroops have their uses. It would be expensive to build & use mass Paratroops. A very useful & historical addition to A&A.

• I thought that there were going to be paratroopers in the new 1940 games?

That you could take any infantry from an airbase and drop them within 2/3 spaces away including behind the lines.

What happened to them in Pac 1940?

• @Shakespeare:

I thought that there were going to be paratroopers in the new 1940 games?

That you could take any infantry from an airbase and drop them within 2/3 spaces away including behind the lines.

What happened to them in Pac 1940?

its gonna be a tech in the global game

• Hi

I hope they include Paratroopers in the Global Game that is to be released.
    I dont know if I like the idea of this being a tech, it would be better if this was something all nation/players could “invest in”.
    Everybody should be able to buy a “paratroop marker” for paratrooper academy, that allowed the player/nation to start to build paratrooper units. A Paratrooper could cost 1.IPC more than normal infantry (for training), Movement 1 (same as normal infantry), Attack on a 1* and Defend on a 2 (same as normal infantry).
    A Paratrooper should be transported and dropped by a Bomber or/and Tactical Bomber.
    *Paratroopers should attack on a 3 or 2 first round of combat, as a special ability, then attack on a 1.
    Maybe a Bomber should be able to transport two Paratroop units, and Tactical Bomber one Paratroop unit?
    They also should defend like normal infantry, I see many want them to defend on a one because of light equipment, but they are also a special/elite unit, so despite lighter equipment than normal infantry, in my opinion they should defend on a 2 because of better training!

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

@Variable:

I’ll go ahead and add my version of the Paratrooper Rule:

Cost 4, Att 1, Def 1. Delivery method: Your choice, whatever you like best. LH rule is good (bomber drops one into first hostile zone), or many of the others here are great as well.

Here’s the kicker: Special ability- Match either 1-1 or 1-2 (haven’t play tested enough yet to decide) with DEFENDER’S UNITS, reducing the defender unit by 1 Def.

Example: 1 tank and 1 paratrooper attack 1 infantry and 1 tank. Attackers = 1@3 (tank) and 1@1 (para). Defenders = 1@2 (inf) and 1@2 (tank) instead of 1@3 (tank). If you decide to match 1-2, then defender would be 1@1 (inf) and 1@2 (tank)

Thoughts?

After going back over this a few times, I’ve decided on 1-2 matching. First, the delivery method is a bit complex and expensive. 2, with bases having their own air defense now there is more tactical AA fire on the board. 3, at a 1/1/1/4 unit, they need 2 “points” more to be worth it. So match 'em 1-2 if you use my rules.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m