• I have a sort of obscure rules question.  Please only answer if you know for certain, because the rulebook isn’t clear on this one.  There are only hints going in both directions.  It might sound like a simple and obvious question, but it isn’t entirely clear either way if you really read all the rules.

Does a captured AA gun retain the tech of the nation that originally owned it?

I originally, and I think most people, say that it does not.  But a friend of mine pointed out that it really can be interpreted either way and when I read the rules I find the same thing.  The rulebook tells you to track the nationality of the orignal owner when multiple guns are in the same territory.  Tracking the who orginally built an AA gun can be interpreted to imply that there is a reason for neededin to know who’s gun is whos.  Obviously this information is needed to know whos turn a gun moves on, but this point becomes the source of focus when you start trying to answer this question for yourself from the rulebook.  The tech section refers to “your AA guns” firing, which further confuses the issue.  Does it say “your AA guns” meaning ones I currently own, or ones I built?  It originally seemed clear, but isn’t anymore once the question is asked.

I think the intent was that guns you currently own have the tech, and if one of your “tech AA guns” is captured it becomes “their gun” and no longer has the tech.  That’s how we still play it, too.  But we aren’t certain that we are right.  I know most people think that AA guns lose the tech, my question is does anyone here know for certain what the intent was because it actually isn’t all that clear once you start looking into it.

• "I think the intent was that guns you currently own have the tech, and if one of your “tech AA guns” is captured it becomes “their gun” and no longer has the tech.  That’s how we still play it, too.  But we aren’t certain that we are right.  I know most people think that AA guns lose the tech, my question is does anyone here know for certain what the intent was because it actually isn’t all that clear once you start looking into it.
    "

The AA gun that is captured does not retain the technology developed by  its owner. I am 100% certain about that

• Official Q&A

Omega is correct.  “Your guns” are the guns you currently own, not the ones that you built.  It’s only necessary to track the ownership of an AA gun when it’s in a territory controlled by a friendly power.  Once the gun is captured by the enemy, it belongs to that enemy power and has all of the capabilities of that power’s AA guns, and none of the capabilities of the original owner’s AA guns.  Once ownership of an AA gun changes, who built it is completely irrelevant.

• Thanks.  I think almost everyone interprets it that way, but once the question is asked they way the rules are written there isn’t really a clear answer anywhere.

• This game has no rules for captured technology.
    Technology can never be transferred,
    for any reason between allies or enemies.
    When you capture an AA with Radar,
    the radar of your enemy broke, or goes kaput,
    and you have to use it with your own technology level.
    page 12 of the rules states:
    “Any number of powers may develop the same technology,
    but the powers cannot share their technology.”

:wink:

• @CalmDragon:

This game has no rules for captured technology.
    Technology can never be transferred,
    for any reason between allies or enemies.
    When you capture an AA with Radar,
    the radar of your enemy broke, or goes kaput,
    and you have to use it with your own technology level.
    page 12 of the rules states:
    “Any number of powers may develop the same technology,
    but the powers cannot share their technology.”

:wink:

That is a good example, actually.  It wouldn’t be “sharing” technology, would it.  There are several statements indirectly related too it, some lead you in one direction and others lead you in the opposite direction.  That was my point.

• Official Q&A

OK, so this whole debate arises from the rule that tells you to place one of your control markers under your AA gun if you move it into a territory controlled by a friendly power, correct?  There is no corresponding rule that says that if I capture your AA gun when I capture your territory you should place one of your control markers under it.  So, we have one fairly rare circumstance when I can capture your gun when it has your marker (in your ally’s territory) and another far more common one when I can capture your gun when it doesn’t have your marker (in your territory).  In neither case am I directed to retain the existing marker or place a new one.

In addition, the rules indicate that if you or your ally recapture the territory and AA gun, the ownership of both goes to the capturing power, or to original owner of the territory if it’s liberated.  No mention is made of returning the AA gun to its original owner.

Doesn’t that indicate that I get to keep the AA gun completely free of any strings tying it back to you?  And wouldn’t that include technology?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m