• Hey all,

I have been hosting a series of A&A games at a local board game club.  I tought them how to conduct a sea lion attack.  None of these kids play a very agressive Russia.

On G1 they have been:

1. buying 5 transports
    2. moving all land units to Norway or Germany
    3. moving all air units to W Europe
    4. Sending the sub in SZ 8 to attack the UK transport in SZ 1.

UK 1 goes something like this:

1. buy 5 INF and 3 ARM
    2. Leave all air units on London b/c they don’t stand much chance vs Germany’s instand navy.
    3. move the ARM from E Canada to London.
    4. Move the UK navy to what ever SZ that is that the US can reach on the SW side of England.

JPN 1:

1. Standard build 3 TRN

US 1:

1. move the 2 INF, 1 ART, 1ARM onto the 2 Transports send them to London with destroyer.
    2. move what ever US air units will reach to London.
    3. move units East to prepare for transportation to London.

G2:
    The battle for London can go either way.  Last Saturday we saw two German wins and one allied win with the three games that were played.  Germany may only have like 1 INF left and had to kill off air untis to take London.  The US is two rounds away from launching a serious counter attack.

UK 2:

1. Take pop shots at German navy if possible.
    2. move TRN with 2 INF from AUST and move toward W Africa.  Make a Alamo attempt in Egypt to stop rapid Axis expansion and stop traffic through the Suez canal.

JPN 2:

1. Mass ARM build

US 2:

1. If London is weak try to take it back.

G3:

1. buy 8 INF to place on London on G3 to keep the US from taking it back.

UK 3:

1. Keep with the plan from UK2.

JPN 3:

1. build an IC.
      Overall plan from here in: Bust through India and steam roll Africa and grab poor Russian spaces and put pressure on Moscow.

You can see how the Allies crumble from here on out.  I’m sure this has been discussed time and time again I was just wondering what the general membership input is now that we have some new faces in the group.

LT

• '16 '15 '10

Assuming that Germany still has 6 figs…the odds are very stacked against Germany taking England G2 (assuming the 5 inf 3 arm buy and the Amis shuck 4 more units up).  Germany will lose this fight at least 80% of the time.

If UK responds like this, instead of attacking England G2 I’d combine the fleet in 7.  Meanwhile, I’ve bought 5 transports for Japan that are sitting in SZ 60.  If the Allies don’t see what is happening and block me, I land both German and Japanese units in Canada on Round 3.

• Hmmm…  With out looking at a map I was just thinking how I would have delt with Germany building 5 TRN’s on thier first turn.  I guess I assumed they would have thrown every thing that would reach into the UK as well.

So I guess my real question is if the Allies belly flop the sea lion assult how do you recover?  Can you recover?

LT

• 5 trannies on G1?

I would be a very happy allied player.

2 trannies on G1 is good. Maybe 5 on G2 after you see what the allies do.

The caspian sub guys wrote some good stuff about german navy builds.

Here are all their articles:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/af6h5cc/n/CSUB_rar

• If you KNOW 100% that they will attempt a sealion the best thing to do to hold it is to buy 2 planes 3 inf for UK and fly over the Russian Fighters and if you have the sz1 transport bring the armor as well.  And you can land the US force there as well with 1 fig 1 bomber 2 inf 1 art 1 armor.  Makes for a tuff time of taking it.

• @ShadowHAwk:

What are your odds in killing that fleet with your airpower ?
    Well not killing but if you sacrefice your fighters + bomber you would kill about 2 trannies.
    Would that actualy help you survive the fight easier ?

IF you attack the fleet of 2 subs 6 trans 1 dest with 2 fighs 1 bomb they will end up with 5 trans + 1 dest.
    Put your fleet between them and you with just a destroyer to attack they have to divert airpower just to dislodge you = less airpower to the UK.

Why not just buy better as UK? Why would you sacrifice your air, for maybe 2 hits? Why would you also sacrifice your navy? I don’t see how allies could have much of a chance in this situation.

• I’m still just lost as to why you would sacrifice your air and navy.

All you have to do to block a German invasion on G2 is the following:

UK1 build should be something like an AC with 3 infantry and an armor. USA and UK should bring all units that can to UK. Best way to do this would be to combine UK fleet and USA fleet at sz8. Russian sub should block the med fleet and a Russian fighter should land in the UK.

There thats it…

You saved UK (Germany only has about a 25% chance), you are now in a strong allied position, and you didn’t have to waste your UK air and navy to do it.

• @bb82:

I’m still just lost as to why you would sacrifice your air and navy.

All you have to do to block a German invasion on G2 is the following:

UK1 build should be something like an AC with 3 infantry and an armor. USA and UK should bring all units that can to UK. Best way to do this would be to combine UK fleet and USA fleet at sz8. Russian sub should block the med fleet and a Russian fighter should land in the UK.

There thats it…

You saved UK (Germany only has about a 25% chance), you are now in a strong allied position, and you didn’t have to waste your UK air and navy to do it.

Well then riddle me this.  If the Allies are in SZ 8 why wouldn’t Germany (who is hell bent on a sea lion with 6 TRN) invade London from SZ 6, SZ 7, or in SZ 3?

If I were Germany I sealion from SZ 6 and stage Land troops and the Luft Waffe in W Europe.  This does five things for me:

1. I block the allies from getting to SZ 5 taking my habor and being dangerously close to my capitol.
    2. I mass my assult forces in W Europe to shuttle into London.  This keeps my TRN’s from having to move and deturs Allies from taking W Europe and provides a defence for my Luft Waffe.
    3. If the allies decide to flank me by going to Norway my Navy is right there and able to shuttle troops from W Europe or shuck-shuck from Germany if in a pinch to Norway.  (If I want it that bad).
    4. If Russia puts the heat on E Europe or the Allies try to flank me by going to S Europe my W Europe troops are one space away and I can see the Allies coming and respond before they get there.
    5. Having the Luft Waffe in W Europe does several things for me. 
          A) If Russia puts on the heat I can attack E Europe or the Balkans and still return to W Europe.
          B) My Luft Waffe can take pop shots at undefended Allied navy units in SZ’s 14, 13, 12, 8, 7, 6, 5 and 3 and still return to W Europe.
          C) They can assist on the Sealion Invasion and return to W Europe.

Just my thoughts,

LT

• I’m a little confused on what your asking.

Based on my above post, German sealion has been stopped…

Unless the allies go KJF, which would not be smart, allied presence in the Atlantic will get much stronger as the game goes on. Between USA and UK, it wont be long before your fleet is either being ignored or it’s being destroyed. Russia is in not danger, because of a G1 no land unit build. So Germany will be trading EE/Bal with Russia in no time. As the other allies build up, they can make drops in Africa for a couple turns before they start building up in Nor/Kar/EE.

Once you advance past the first round, it is much harder to say exactly what you would do because it all depends on the exact situation at hand. To learn more about how I would shread the axis to pieces, when you go with 5 trannies on G1, play me.

I’m bb82 @ GTO. If your interested you can use GTO’s PM (mail) to get a hold of me to setup a game. They currently have a small presectable bidding system in place, so I’d even let you have an 8 bid (two more units in Africa).

• Let me ask this question:

If the Allies botch the first round and Germany takes London on G2 how do the Allies recover?

• @LT04:

Let me ask this question:

If the Allies botch the first round and Germany takes London on G2 how do the Allies recover?

IMO, If UK falls to Germany AND the allies can’t get it back before Germany’s next turn, then it’s game over for the allies. Even if they can get it back AND keep it, it’s probably still game over unless Germany paid a huge price to take UK, i.e. German lost it’s entire luftwaffe in the attack.

But… Experienced players wont “botch” the first round. Unless, how you define “botch” includes getting diced. Sometimes, no matter what you do, you will lose a game solely because of the dice. But the majority of the time, the more skilled player will win.

• Refresh my memory.

How many LAND units will Germany be able to assault London with?

It seems to me that you need to move the BB and TRN to SZ6 and build an AC and fighter there and put your UK fighter on it as well in LHTR anyway.

US reinforces with ground troops via SZ8 and blocks sz12 with DES and buys additonal ground units to send to UK on US2 for reinforce or retake.

It’s been awhile (playing BOTB and GCNL when I get the chance to play) but that makes the potential land battle on G2 what?

Something like 2 BOM; 1 FTR; 4 INF; 3 ART; 2 or 3 ARM (if ECA makes it) plus some AA against what from Germany? How much air power would Germany have to divert to the sea battle as opposed to giving them the sea zone uncontested and getting all those FTRs on the land battle?

In the short term it is a good play for Germany they can get UK to trade valuable units for navy they don’t really need but it will hurt them on the Eastern Front.

Really what is the G2 battle roster for each side in London?

• Because the med fleet will be blocked by a Russian sub, Germany, at most, can attack UK with the following:

6 infantry, 6 armor, 6 fighters, and 1 bomber.

• '16 '15 '10

@LT04:

Let me ask this question:

Basically, the game is over.  If the Allies are really good players maybe they can recover, but its unlikely.  This is why Sea Lion G1 or G2 doesn’t seem like a fun strategy–its more of a gimmick.  I mean, you can catch a noob that way in a quick online game…but why would you do that in a FTF game where you already have to spend 30 minutes setting up the board?  If the Allies respond reasonably, Germany’s chances of success in a G2 Sea Lion should be around 5-25%.  If Germany wins that battle it will because of luck, so you might as well start another game because this one is over.

• @bb82:

Because the med fleet will be blocked by a Russian sub, Germany, at most, can attack UK with the following:

6 infantry, 6 armor, 6 fighters, and 1 bomber.

I like the 2 FTR, 3 INF on UK1 myself so that isn’t that bad a battle to fight really.

7 INF (2 UK Start; 2 US; 3 UK1 buy)
    2 RTL (1 UK, 1 US)
    2 ARM (1 UK, 1 US assuming SZ1 TRN sunk)
    5 FTRS (2 UK, 1 US, 2 UK1 buy)
    2 BOM

Take the Bombers as 1st round casulties and you aren’t too bad.

Moving the UK BB and TRN and the R sub to SZ6 will draw off some air power as Frood says it is aprox. 78% for the UK/R in the naval battle with just 2 subs and a Des.

One of those things you shouldn’t feel too bad about losing though.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m