What's the worst luck you've had in trying to take a territory?

• Worst luck in trying to take a territory?
    I had 3 out of 3 HEAVY bombers shot down by AA fire (1’s) in the same round, attacking two different territories.
    In the same game, I had 13 japanese tanks attacking 3 american tanks
    in central USA.  In the first round all 13 jap tanks missed, and all 3 american tanks hit.  Fortunately, in round 2 after it was 10 against 3, it went more according to odds.  Also, I could absorb those losses and still take Eastern USA on the next turn (Heavy bomber support).
    I’m sure Omega remembers this game as well, as he was my opponent  :-D

• '10

In a current game I attacked 2 inf units in NWE w/3inf arm and was wiped out without inflicting a casualty  (Italians of course). On the next German turn  I attacked with a similar force; cleared but did not take it.

In another game I attacked YUN '41  w/3 inf 2 fig….got wiped out…I think I managed to hit the inf.

Needless to say, I’m in deep shit in both games

• Just today, I attacked a naval force of 5 transports, 4 destroyers, and 1 battleship with 6 bombers.

Round 1:  My 24 Punch gets 1 hit - a soak on his battleship, and his 12 Punch gets 3 hits.

Round 2:  My 12 Punch gets 1 hit - sink 1 destroyer, and his 12 Punch gets 3 hits again.

Final Score:  I lost 72 IPCs of bombers just to destroy one 8-IPC destroyer.  :-(

• @Bardoly:

Just today, I attacked a naval force of 5 transports, 4 destroyers, and 1 battleship with 6 bombers.

Round 1:  My 24 Punch gets 1 hit - a soak on his battleship, and his 12 Punch gets 3 hits.

Round 2:  My 12 Punch gets 1 hit - sink 1 destroyer, and his 12 Punch gets 3 hits again.

Final Score:  I lost 72 IPCs of bombers just to destroy one 8-IPC destroyer.   :-(

Ouch!!!  :x

• '10

@Bardoly:

Just today, I attacked a naval force of 5 transports, 4 destroyers, and 1 battleship with 6 bombers.

Final Score:  I lost 72 IPCs of bombers just to destroy one 8-IPC destroyer.   :-(

Why can’t you roll like that against me???

• Bad luck in war is entirely realistic. Look at Midway. Japanese rolled badly historically, losing 4 carriers and all fighters and failing to capture the island while US just lost a carrier and some fighters.

So if you convert to IPCs it would be 4 carriers = 56 and 8 fighter = 80  vs.

1 carrier and 2 fighter = 34

Japan lost 136 IPCs compared to 34 for the US.

:-o

• @Miket2424:

Bad luck in war is entirely realistic. Look at Midway. Japanese rolled badly historically, losing 4 carriers and all fighters and failing to capture the island while US just lost a carrier and some fighters.

So if you convert to IPCs it would be 4 carriers = 56 and 8 fighter = 80  vs.

1 carrier and 2 fighter = 34

Japan lost 136 IPCs compared to 34 for the US.

:-o

An excellent point.  Can you do that for the Germans on the Russian front, too?

• I love these stories.

• I’m afraid I have a new one.

J2, attack on India.

I tried a new strat of ignoring China (at least for first turn or two) and trying to go through Russia and UK territories.  After all, you’re taking money away from other powers that way…

So I just got LRA for 10 bucks (yeeha) and then attacked India with 3 infantry, 4 fighters, and 1 bomber.  It’s a good thing I didn’t send in more (I had more air than that).
    India defended by 4 infantry, 1 fighter, and the all-important AA.

Yep - I killed one UK infantry unit. 
    AA killed 3 out of 4 fighters, AND the bomber.
    I lost 2 infantry, 3 fighters, 1 bomber to 1 infantry (48 to 3)
    Fortunately I decided against an IC in neighboring Burma, because the UK could easily take it over.
    My only consolation - I still have LRA, 5 fighters and a bomber.
    I think the RNG on this site is very random and reliable (I mean, it simulates dice well).  I have never seen a roll like this until now, on this site (4 out of 5 ones).

48 to 3!  My battle calculator had me at 85% of victory, and that includes taking over the territory (worth 8!).
    That’s probably the worst luck I’ve had in trying to take a territory.

• http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=15944.0
    It’s reply #72  :cry:
    You can enjoy my reaction, too.

• at tripleA, at big world with low luck, i rolled 7 times a 6 while i needed a 5 or less to hit

• This all goes to show that you can have the best plan in the world and it can still fail due to bad luck.

• In AA50 41 Germany has really good luck in its northen attacks, and Russia was trying to defend Karlina (even put a fighter there).

So Germany did a BIG surpise attack.

6 tanks, 6 infantry, 3 artillary, 1 crusier SBB, 2 bombers and 2 fighters. (G)
    vs
    7 inf, 2 tanks, the only fighter + AA Gun

Anyway, 3 AA got 3 hits (both fighters and a bomber), and the Germans only got 3 hits (all from tanks).

Then the Russians got 7 hits (figter, both tanks and 4 inf).

• In round 2 it was

6 Tanks, 2 artillary and 1 bomber (still 26 attak points)
    vs
    4 inf, 2 tanks, 1 fighter, 1 AA Gun

The Germans managed 0 hits again but the Russians got 3.

Germany Ran.

Russia followed with 4inf, 5 tanks, 1 fighter, 1 bomber and wiped out the Germany tanks and bombers from the Baltic Strights. From here they held it, built tones of aircraft and tanks, went back to the starting line. So in G3 German had a 3:2 frount line advange in Russia, but lost most of their tanks in a Karlina attacks and the retreat so by R5 they where pused back to nothing.

• Wow, demo, something like that is usually pretty much a game-ender, that’s for sure.

What devastation!  Thanks for sharing.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m