• here is the para rules that we use in the CD club

Paratrooper Rules:

Combat movement:

1. A Bomber can only paratroop 1 infantry per turn per bomber.

2. Both the bomber and the infantry must be in the same territory at the beginning of combat phase.

3. If a bomber is shot down at the target, the infantry survives for the combat phase, but the bomber is lost.

4. Bombers used to paratroop infantry to battle do not engage in ground battle, nor may they conduct IPC raids.

Non-combat movement:

1. Bombers involved in combat or paratrooping may not be used in non-combat to pick up and transport units.

2. Bombers can paratroop only 1 infantry per turn and only if that infantry was not invloved in combat.

3. The bomber and infantry DO NOT need to be in the same territory, and the bomber may move, pickup and drop off the unit within the bomber’s movement range. Picking up or dropping off a unit does not cost the bomber any movements.

4. If AAA pre-game option is on (Anti-Aircraft guns Always fire) and the bomber is shot down in non-combat move with infantry in it, the infantry is lost as well. If the bomber is shot down by another AA gun after the infantry is dropped, then only the bomber is lost.

5. Infantry left on bombers that have landed will not defend if attacked. Only the bomber will defend. If the bomber is destroyed, the infantry is lost as well.

Special rules and considerations:

1. If heavy bombers are attained, the bomber now has a capability of transporting two infantry per bomber for either combat or non-combat use. This is the default A&A game setting and the default rule which requires no edits. If the players consent prior to the game that one infantry per bomber is the maximum, then that is acceptable. Otherwise the two per heavy bomber rule applies.

2. An infantry may only be used as a paratrooper once, it can never be picked up again by the same or a different bomber. This is a game bug that will be lived with. Even though these infantry may never load onto a bomber again, they act normally in all other respects.

http://www.axisandalliesworldclub.com

• Banned

Hi Guys,

My contribution to the long list of ideas.

A drop in almost all cases was planned away from AA fire. The bomber would be shot down before reaching the targeted drop zone, thus losing the paratroopers with it. I would suggest using rule #1.

By the way, this was my first post on this forum!!!

Delaja

welcome on board Delaja! Interesting concept, but you must remember that Drops were planned away from AA fire, but in most cases the planes had to fly through it…

GG

• Banned

Thanks for welcoming me Guerilla Guy. But you just proved my point. They had to fly through AA to reach the targeted drop zone. So if they are shot down the paratroopers would die too. Those who could jump would never reach their target and would not have any impact on the effort anyway.

@TG:

They’re not a special unit, just regular infantry with a free ride. :)

They are a specialized fighting force trained to be dropped behind enemy lines. The typical paratrooper combat load varies quite a bit from the normal 11 bravo Inf

Sorry I didn’t read back through before I posted…

GG

• A few notes I made while reading this list:

1. Sinice most units in A&A aren’t a single unit, you don’t need to use a fghter to get gliders off the ground. You can assume that is included in the unit.

2. A successful attack by an AA gun should kill both the paratroopers and the air transport. Otherwise paratroopers become too powerful of a unit.

3. The cost should stay right around a bomber. If you make air transports too cheap, seagoing transports would rarely get used.

4. Bombers and air transport should be seperate units. You shouldn’t be able to drop paratroopers off in one round and bomb with the same unit the next. Since I have both the MB version and revised, it’s not hard to distinguish between bombers and air transport.

5. Paratroopers were semi-elite. I have no problem letting them attack at 2. Another idea I liked was allowing them to attack at 2 during their jump, but then they revert back to normal infantry. Either way should work. Another idea that you could use would be to use elite units (SS, USMC, etc) as your airborne. This isn’t exactly historically accurate though. Marines and SS were seperate from airborne and falshirmjagers.

6. Only one infantry should be allowed per transport. There are two reasons for this. 1-You don’t want to run into the problem that nobody is using sea transports. 2-Each piece represents a lot of men. A squadron of air transports would be hard pressed to deliver that many men to battle. A&A does require you to allow a few inaccuracies, but I think you should try to stay as accurate as possible.

7. Air transports should get 0 attack. I would say 0 defense, but I would be o.k. with 1 defense. If switching over to d12, then the defense should stay at 1 though.

AARHE rules are there for Paratroopers. Everything has alrerady been addressed including transports, combat and noncombat moves, IPC cost, and every thing in between. Check it out and I’m sure you’ll like em, I do.  :evil:

• Tell me if this rule Im going to try out sounds fine for AA:E

(there should be an official paratrooper opic or something).

Paratroopers:  Bombers can transport 2 infantry units.  These units attack on a 2 for the first round of combat only, afterwards they attack on a 1.  The bomber that transported them cannot be used to make any other attacks that turn, including SBR.  The troops can also be dropped in non-combat into friendly territory, but only with a bomber that did not move into combat or SBR earlier in the turn.

Pretty simple.  I thought for a while of reducing the bombers range to 4 and letting it hold 3 infantry, but then I felt like you might as well use transports since the range would only reach coastal territories.  The range of 6 felt too long, so to balance it out I reduced it to 2 infantry per plane, and now the rule seems right.

• In AARHE we have to build paratroopers, which costs more than infantry.
    Its to stop it being used as a last minute option.
    A paradrop has to be a planned attack.

For the range and capacity pretty much same as your one. 6 range 2 capacity.

• I actually thought of renaming the marine unit to ‘mobile infantry’ and letting them have the same qualities as the standard unit except letting them be paradropped as well, but I didnt like the idea of dropping them off, letting them fight to the shore, and then using them for amphibious assault.

So far though I think my rule is simple enough and Ill end up using it.

• :lol:
      I think evryone here is pretty close to the mark on how to handle paratroopers, but If I might suggest a streamlined version, this is what I have:
      Take a bomber from the Russins in the old classic game, with fingernail clippers, remove the two outer engines, and clip off the rounded part of the wingtips. paint it a different color, say silver, or white, whatever. This is your universal air transport. everybody has use of this in the game, (removes the cost value debate). Now, on the turn you want to do a paradrop, pay 2 extra IPC to the bank during your purcase units phase for each paratroop unit you wish to deploy**, Maximum of two units per turn**.
    Place your air taxi where you wish to embark your Paratroops, again, you can only transport a maximum of 2 infantry units.
    During the combat movement phase move your air taxi to the drop zone, all troopers must deploy in only one territory.
      Any flak encountered during the course of the flight may fire. For each time that a flak gets a hit, remove one of the paratroopers as a casualty. The air transport is irrelavant as it has neither attack nor defense, it is what it carries that is important, right?
    Paratroops are elite, just ask any one of them. So, give them a 2 on attack and a 2 on defense as well, they earned it.  :wink:
    These units will be regular infantry in later turns, they revert to the normal attack and defense for infantry. This allows you to embark some new troopers from somewhere else next turn. 8-).

I’ve only got one more thing to add to the paratroopers rule before I go,
    and that is, when you drop your troopers, you have to yell,“GERONIMOOOO”!!!
        Now get to sewing all those little parachutes for your brave little troopers.

crazy Ivan :roll:

• :-o
    Hey?
      Did anybody like my idea on how to handle the Paratrooper question? Has anyone tried it? And, how did it work out for you?
    A little feedback is always nice.
    :-D

The problem is with paying extra money to perform an airdrop, it’s too easy,
    Like stated before a para drop is planned way ahead of time,  This takes time.  Most para troopers were volunteers from every nation’s military, and trained extensively in Para ops. from their inception into the military. They cost more to train and that is why the Para trooper costs more then the standard Joe.

If all one has to do is pay $2 bucks the night before and issue standard infantry with Parachute’s, those grunts would be slaughtered.

In game terms, the para trooper would be better then tanks, they would both cost 5 but the inf could move 6 and the tank 2, and they get that ability from those free C-47’s the gods dropped down for every one to use.

Way to powerful of a piece IMO

If I remember correctly Para’s

Cost 4, 2,2 Must be trans ported by a Transport, no bombers,  Imagine 82nd AA jumping from B-17’s

Transport I believe is 8 IPC carries 2 (yes use old Bombers)
    If hit by AA Trnny and Troops inside are lost
    Tranny have a 0-1 att, Def.
    After AA Fires, Transports can choose to disembark or not, this happens before air combat. If a trnny drops his load, it is immiediatly removed from the combat.If a Trnny does not perform a drop, it may stay in the combat and has an Att. value of zero.
    this is to prevent trnny’s from being cheap aireal fodder
    The 1 defense for them represents the defenses of their home airbase
    A tranny would only ever roll a def. die.
    As for the cargo aboard the Trnny, if the owner of the Tranny chooses not to unload his transports or part of them (the formation), when performing a para drop none or all disembark the transport. the transports that remain in the combat  can be used as fodder, So effectively if a trans port is selected as a casualty both the cargo and the trnny are lost, 12 IPC loss= 1 PARA TROOPER + TRANSPORT  or 16 IPC loss of 2x Para’s + 1x Trnny

Para’s and Trnny must start there move in the same space.

• I wouldn’t compare it with the tank though. Consider paratroopers as elites and limited.
    Maybe only one per turn instead?

You could even make paratroopers, carriers and battleships take 2 turns to build. That’ll add further depth to  the game.

• @hurleyrod:

Which rule should we use?

I’ve never figured out how to incorporate them at this scale - other than to have an advantage card taht allows the Allies to deploy a limited number of paratroopers - this means that one infantry can attack at ‘2’ or ‘3’ on the first round of combat only.

Given that a division would be smaller than a single ‘infantry’ unit - better to have them employed as a combat bonus a limited number of times.

Otherwise, you get the Paras invading all of France, when they only invaded a tiny bit of Normandy - and couldn’t advance until the main ground troops linked up with them.

Same with Arnhem - without the supporting ground troops, they are nothing - too lightly equiped to hold out over a significant amount of time.

However, they were in WW2 - so I’m working on their use as a N/A that can be used a limited number of times.

• you just limit the drops to a maximum number per turn per nation. For example USA can drop only 2 per turn.

Plus you make them cost something beyond their own cost which indirectly restricts them

Basically its in AARHE

• Perhaps you could ensure that sea-borne transports by having a tech available for heavy transports…upping the number of inf a transport can carry to 3…or 2 and one other unit.  That way bombers can carry one inf but if you want to move massive amounts of inf you use transports.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m