• Customizer

so, I just got the AA50 game finally, and i have one major question.

is it worth it to the allies to have the USA fight germany and japan at the same time (like in rl)?

as far as the game goes, there seems no point in splitting your income when you can spend it all against germany, not to mention that unless you spend a lot against japan they can just ignore and continue to make gains in asia, while germany and italy against russia and uk is favorable to the axis.

• I have played a lot as the Allies and as far as I’m concerned the jury is still out.

I can say that you can defintiely justify dropping at least a sub a turn in the pacific because holding Hawaii and the island NO is worth +$6 to you and -$1 to Japan. Also it may force Japan to buy Destroyers if he (or she – sorry Jen) wants to deny you the $6 and he’d rather buy ICs and land forces to pressure Russia.

I often find that a 50/50 spend gives you enough to control most of Africa (denying Italy Algeria but not Egypt) and at least delaying Japan in taking your Pacific islands, Australia, New Zealand etc.

The problem is a 50/50 spend seems unable to penetrate into either Europe or Japan’s starting islands/Dutch East Indies, which means to rely on Russia or the UK to actually “win” you the game.

• I have the feeling that a 33/67 split between West and East coast is somewhat right. In that way you’ll be able to get an advantage against the weakest power in the Axis side, Italy, and also threaten Germany enough that they’re unable to finish off Russia. The goal is to ASAP push Italy to 10 IPC income and Germany down to around 40 IPCs, at which time you’ll be at an advantage for some turns since all those Jap IPCs are still marching over the Asian steppes, whereas your IPCs are right in the thick of it.

In the long run, a chain of tanks and infantry pouring from Algeria and maybe South Africa will also be able to be used against the Japs around Persia. The trick with this type of play is to always be able to keep a fleet afloat off the West coast, either in a defensive stance or, if the Japs sail a lot of ships west, offensively. Obviously you then might have to spend 100% of your income on the West coast on certain turns if the Japs are very aggressive, but in the long run your spending should be more close to the 33/67 split. All of this assuming that the Japanese spend the majority of their IPCs on ICs, transports, land units and bombers to throw at China and India to break through vs. Moscow, which seems to be the typical Jap strat.

• Lynxes seems to be right on the money

• I know that when I play the Germans I dread a USA who funnels toward the Atlantic and N

Africa!!

Italy needs to survive far as long as possible!!

• and that 33/67 split is going to be actually more historical for that opening of the war as well.  Europe was the stated first objective, then Japan from the US standpoint, so more money did go that way at the start.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m