• Hi all

I just want to say that what bothered me the most about previous versions of A&A was the KGF strat and the fact that Japan had to go for Moscow while the US ignored her. There was very little action in the Pacific theater. AA50 is by far the most viable version to allow for a Pacific war.

My strategy is very simple, and could probably be tweaked here and there for efficiency. I’m not getting turn specific here because the strategy is fairly open.
    This is how I played it though:

1. Russia does what it always does, survives as long as possible. I mostly buy infantry and withdraw as Germany advances. The idea is to build up as much defense fodder as possible for the ultimate defense of Moscow. In fact, when I played it I never attacked German troops once.
    2. The UK buys nothing but fighters and sends them to Russia. I borrowed this idea from AA Europe where my friends and I would buy nothing but fighters as the Allies and send them to Russia. If Germany’s tank stack could not crush the Russian infantry/fighter stack in Moscow she would run out of steam and Russia could spring forward. Try to hold off Italy in Africa and Japan in India as long as possible.
    3. The USA goes all out on Japan with everything it has, including all the east coast stuff.

At first I tried this strategy in 1942 but I found that Germany was too strong and could defeat Russia quickly. Russia doesn’t have enough fodder. In 41 Russia has more time to retreat and build up reserves. Plus the Allies start with their full incomes, which allows the UK to purchase 4 fighters on UK1 instead of 3.

My main problem is how to defeat Japan with the USA. I know that eventually it can be done, but I want to know the most efficient way of doing so. I’ve heard several people say that it’s a cakewalk, but I disagree. I find in either 41 or 42 that Japan is so damn strong naval wise. She has so many fighters that buying cheap carriers drastically bolsters her naval defense. The USA has to spend more IPCs to match this power. I also found that by the time USA liberates the 4 IPC islands etc that Japan is hardly affected because she is deep in Asia at this point. If anyone has a strong anti-japan strategy for the USA I would be very interested to hear it.

My strategy may not be perfect, maybe the UK would be better off landing troops in Europe? BTW I never play with techs or NOs as i feel they could unbalance the game too much in favor of the Axis. I haven’t tried NOs with this strat though, so who knows…
    Has anyone tried this idea yet? I’d love to hear other KJF strats, or just how to defeat Japan as USA alone.

Thanks

PS. One thing I like about AA50 for the Allies is that the Axis starts the turn order in 41 and 42. This allows the Allies to maximize their efforts and exploit Axis errors. If Japan thought the USA was going to go all out against her and bought warships on J1, the USA could see that and merely choose to ignore her.

• @Rammstein:

If anyone has a strong anti-japan strategy for the USA I would be very interested to hear it.

Develop the A-Bomb.  :evil:  Just playin, sorry I couldn’t resist.  :mrgreen:

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

England focuses on Africa
    Russia focuses on Eastern Europe
    America goes full bore into Naval construction to attack Japan.  Note:  America needs ONE transport, everything else had better be going into Carriers, Fighters, Battleships and Destroyers (Cruisers just don’t seem to be as helpful, dunno why.)  A few submarines won’t hurt, but don’t rely on them.

Take Carolines early and strong.  This will permanently boost England’s income by 5 IPC (National Objective.)  It’s also one move away from new ships you put in the water.

The round before you think you’ll have the firepower to sink the Japanese (and you will be able too unless Japan gives up fighting in China and goes full bore back at you - which will just cause Japan other headaches!) buy nothing but fighters in W. USA since they can race out to SZ 62 and land on your carriers while the fighters on your carriers can land somewhere else you have taken. (Note, bombers are good for on Carolines too, just make sure the enemy cannot mass air and destroy them on the ground!)

• @Cmdr:

America needs ONE transport

One transport to take the Carolines and make an airfield, yes? At what point do you build more transports and island hop, if at all?

@Cmdr:

everything else had better be going into Carriers, Fighters, Battleships and Destroyers (Cruisers just don’t seem to be as helpful, dunno why.)  A few submarines won’t hurt, but don’t rely on them.

Are you trying to build an offensive fleet (subs) or a defensive fleet (carriers)?

Wouldn’t you find buying 1 Cruiser and 1 Destroyer more advantageous than 1 Battleship? Same cost, 1 extra die point in attack/defense, plus anti-sub, still gets a shore bombard. Are Battleships ever really worth it?

No bombers?

@Cmdr:

Take Carolines early and strong.

In 41 this probably wont happen on US1. Are you referring to the 41 or 42 setup?

@Cmdr:

This will permanently boost England’s income by 5 IPC (National Objective.)

I assume you find playing with NOs to be advantageous for the Allies? Or do you find it balances the game better? My problem with NOs, at least with this type of strategy is that Germany would be too rich. Plus, with my version, Russia would not get her boost due to UK fighters.

As the Allies, is it better to play with NOs if USA is going all out against Japan?

@Cmdr:

The round before you think you’ll have the firepower to sink the Japanese buy nothing but fighters in W. USA since they can race out to SZ 62 and land on your carriers while the fighters on your carriers can land somewhere else you have taken.

So, are you saying just keep building up your fleet in the Carolines and let the Japanese fleet attack you and then counter attack? What if Japan doesn’t attack and decides to boost her navy with Carriers?

Could you be more specific on how you would handle the Japanese fleet?

Also, do you find this USA vs Japan strategy works better in 41 or 42?

Thanks

• I never tried a KJF in AA50 yet.  But my gut reaction to doing would be to do something along the lines of “Team Britain: World Police”.  With Russia having to focus all on Germany and Italy, and America all on Japan being the most obvious choices, this leaves Britain as the key to making the strat work.
    If Britain’s wishful, idealic, thinking in this would be:

1. Build at least a token invasion force to maybe funnel troops through FIN/NOR or nab countries like poland to slow the Germans down, or at least keep SOME German/Ita troops occupied with defending the west

2)A token force to keep the Italians busy in Africa

3)Somehow have a presence in the pacific

4)have airplanes to ship to re enforce fronts in need (Most likley mocow)

How much of that can be accomplished I don’t know.  If you want to make Italy Impotant immediatly, that can be done by T2 with a 3 bomber build giving you 4 bombers and maybe 1 fighter to take out it’s fleet.  Survivng bombers can be used to keep Italy down with SBR’s, After that focus on threatining Europe, and send fig builds to send all over the world.

Another good Idea may be to build a SAF IC T1 and hold on to the rest of your money.  On T2 build a fleet in Europe, this opens up somewhat of a threat on germany and Italy.  America should use Australia as a “Home Base” and on T3 or 4 the UK may have the option to build another factory in Aus, this could be used more to build inf/tran to hit Islands, maybe the occasional sub/ dest.

While this may sound unrealistic as the UK may be too poor: with the US giving the UK the NO’s from the Caroline Islands, the UK contesting Africa, and maybe even able to snag FIN/NOR the UK could have a decent amt of cash.  It may even get to run a suicide tranny from Aus to snag a 4 IPC Island/India and hold that for a turn or two.

Sounds like a little stretch (2 IC’s sounds a little decadent, maybe you couldd forego the SAF IC) but I think any KJF policy kind of is anyway.

• 2007 AAR League

@Rammstein:

Hi all

I just want to say that what bothered me the most about previous versions of A&A was the KGF strat and the fact that Japan had to go for Moscow while the US ignored her. There was very little action in the Pacific theater. AA50 is by far the most viable version to allow for a Pacific war.

My strategy is very simple, and could probably be tweaked here and there for efficiency. I’m not getting turn specific here because the strategy is fairly open.

1. Russia does what it always does, survives as long as possible. I mostly buy infantry and withdraw as Germany advances. The idea is to build up as much defense fodder as possible for the ultimate defense of Moscow. In fact, when I played it I never attacked German troops once.
    2. The UK buys nothing but fighters and sends them to Russia. I borrowed this idea from AA Europe where my friends and I would buy nothing but fighters as the Allies and send them to Russia. If Germany’s tank stack could not crush the Russian infantry/fighter stack in Moscow she would run out of steam and Russia could spring forward. Try to hold off Italy in Africa and Japan in India as long as possible.
    3. The USA goes all out on Japan with everything it has, including all the east coast stuff.

At first I tried this strategy in 1942 but I found that Germany was too strong and could defeat Russia quickly. Russia doesn’t have enough fodder. In 41 Russia has more time to retreat and build up reserves. Plus the Allies start with their full incomes, which allows the UK to purchase 4 fighters on UK1 instead of 3.

My main problem is how to defeat Japan with the USA. I know that eventually it can be done, but I want to know the most efficient way of doing so. I’ve heard several people say that it’s a cakewalk, but I disagree. I find in either 41 or 42 that Japan is so damn strong naval wise. She has so many fighters that buying cheap carriers drastically bolsters her naval defense. The USA has to spend more IPCs to match this power. I also found that by the time USA liberates the 4 IPC islands etc that Japan is hardly affected because she is deep in Asia at this point. If anyone has a strong anti-japan strategy for the USA I would be very interested to hear it.

My strategy may not be perfect, maybe the UK would be better off landing troops in Europe? BTW I never play with techs or NOs as i feel they could unbalance the game too much in favor of the Axis. I haven’t tried NOs with this strat though, so who knows…
    Has anyone tried this idea yet? I’d love to hear other KJF strats, or just how to defeat Japan as USA alone.

Thanks

PS. One thing I like about AA50 for the Allies is that the Axis starts the turn order in 41 and 42. This allows the Allies to maximize their efforts and exploit Axis errors. If Japan thought the USA was going to go all out against her and bought warships on J1, the USA could see that and merely choose to ignore her.

I too like the new emphasis on the Pacific, the allies can no longer ignore Japan.

My thoughts:

UK buy of all fighters and sending them to Russia has 2 problems.  It negates the Russian NO, and leaves Italy free to take over Africa.

Russia not challenging Germany on the Eastern front means Germany will be collecting huge amounts of money.

US can’t take on Japan alone, by J2 Japan will be collecting $50+ and if US is spending everything in the Pacific Germany and Italy will be unchecked.

• I think the million dollar question is how long do you need Russia to survive.  It would be valuable information to figure out how long Russia can hold out on a 3 V 1 type game.  Just have Russia (and maybe China) set up and go against all 3 Axis, just to see how long you can hold out, to at least get an idea as to what you are looking at.

Another thing to, should you actually KJF, or just neutralize it?  The actual taking the Japanese capital could turn into a nightmare.

Still though, I think the key is to figure out a UK balancing act, America could still probably afford to send over the occasional transport over to the West as well

• 2007 AAR League

@dondoolee:

I think the million dollar question is how long do you need Russia to survive.  It would be valuable information to figure out how long Russia can hold out on a 3 V 1 type game.  Just have Russia (and maybe China) set up and go against all 3 Axis, just to see how long you can hold out, to at least get an idea as to what you are looking at.

Another thing to, should you actually KJF, or just neutralize it?  The actual taking the Japanese capital could turn into a nightmare.

Still though, I think the key is to figure out a UK balancing act, America could still probably afford to send over the occasional transport over to the West as well

I’m coming to the conclusion that the Allies can’t really choose a KxF strategy.  Doing so leaves one or more of the Axis to become too powerful.  Especially in a National Objective game which favors the Axis.  My experience has been a more balanced approach works better.

• What I learned so far in AA50 is that if Russia falls to either Germany or Japan, its not enough for allies to keep Italy.
    Allies must then take most of Europe and I can’t see that happening unless Germany is in deep trouble.

Every capital in AA50 is mostly as important as in AAR, except Rome. If you can take and keep a capital, and not lose any own capitals, then you win the game.

No, you just need the one transport for island hopping.  Why leave your forces behind?  Just keep bringing them along with you.  If it comes down to it, you can more readily replace a fighter than an infantryman, so take those as casualties if you are winning instead.

The time to build more transports is when you want to take Japan itself.  Honestly, I don’t normally get to that point, usually when America has Japan whittled down to Japan and maybe a piece of China or an island left, they need to turn around and pump out equipment to finish off Germany (which is easier to kill since it’s on the land and not an island that has to be amphibiously assaulted!)

• Jenn: How do you keep japan out of India so they don’t get there 3rd NO?  Or do you just go for the south pacific IPCs and leave japan alone in FIC/India/Etc?

I don’t.

Japan can take Australia to get the 3rd NO if they want too.

If you are desperate to keep India, then put an IC there with England round 1 and move Russian infantry/armor in there for a turn or two until it’s established.  That usually keeps Japan at bay for a while.

The trade off, of course, is that the money and equipment is NOT being used against Germany and Italy.

• @Subotai:

What I learned so far in AA50 is that if Russia falls to either Germany or Japan, its not enough for allies to keep Italy.
    Allies must then take most of Europe and I can’t see that happening unless Germany is in deep trouble.

Every capital in AA50 is mostly as important as in AAR, except Rome. If you can take and keep a capital, and not lose any own capitals, then you win the game.

I agree that holding Rome is definatly less in value than holding moscow.  One of the Axis’ greatest strengths is having a power they can sacrifice if need be.  I have allowed the Allies to take Italy before, so I could get one more turn at putting more pressure on Russia, it is just that much more valuable.

And the more I think about it, the more I think a Neuter Japan First strategy is probably the way to go if you want to think along a more “pacific centric” strat, I don’t think you have enough time to do a KJF strat in most games to win them.

• @Rammstein:

Hi all

Thanks

Taking the Japanese homeland will be tough if you let Japan build up too much infantry.  Assuming you’ve island hopped, and taking the homeland is all that’s left, BSR max damage in the IC.  That gives Japan 8 IPCs to repair 16 IPCs of damage every turn, and effectively stops production.  The wrest is simple, build up invasion force, and take your prize.

• 1941 KJF is very doable, and IMO the best Allied strategy.  Japan can fall just as quickly as it spreads.  However, you need a UK player that is willing to commit.

US goes all Pacific, and threatens a direct invasion of Japan from the Northeast.  With the bulk of the Japanese Fleet pinned down, the UK can island hop from the Southwest.  In fact, the US does not need to go all Pacific, just enough to distract the Japanese fleet.

UK builds ICs in India and Australia.  India and Chine hold the continent, while Australia is the base to retake the British East Indies.  This is a war of maneuver.  Don’t engage the Japanese fleet! You must keep your small Pacific fleet alive.  If the Japanese come after you:
    “Run Away!!!”-Everyone, Monty Python’s The Holy Grail
    Don’t worry if you can’t retake the East Indies at first.  Patience in the key. 
    “Wait…for the opportune moment…” Johnny Depp, The Curse of the Black Pearle

• Scratch my previous strategy.  IL came up w/ an optimal strategy that involved India and Australia falling on J2.

• 2007 AAR League

@Upside-down_Turtle:

Scratch my previous strategy.  IL came up w/ an optimal strategy that involved India and Australia falling on J2.

Well don’t keep it a secret! :-D :-D

• http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=12868.15

Look for IL’s Manchurian Candidate entry.

• @Rammstein:

i also like tu pump 48 hardass dollars each round into the pacific :) i like to play hide and seek as long as possible with japan in india. by the time he gets a factory in india ive got one an egypt and we can trade persia till the end of time :) meanwhile  british fleet is back in sz7 addaing a tranny a turn

even if japan cashes out at 60ish, thats only 4 inf to spare if you must invest the other 48 into boats. you wont be buying any the first 3 rounds or only little amounts. america can take back Australia (+7 uk) and Carolines (+5 UK)  and once you retake sumatra (-9 japan) … oh boy im dreaming again  :evil:

• 2007 AAR League

@atarihuana:

@Rammstein:

i also like tu pump 48 hardass dollars each round into the pacific :) i like to play hide and seek as long as possible with japan in india. by the time he gets a factory in india ive got one an egypt and we can trade persia till the end of time :) meanwhile  british fleet is back in sz7 addaing a tranny a turn

even if japan cashes out at 60ish, thats only 4 inf to spare if you must invest the other 48 into boats. you wont be buying any the first 3 rounds or only little amounts. america can take back Australia (+7 uk) and Carolines (+5 UK)  and once you retake sumatra (-9 japan) … oh boy im dreaming again  :evil:

What’s going on in Europe while the US is spending all that money in the Pacific?  I’m Guessing Italy is all over Africa, and Germany is giving Russia fits.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m