New Thoughts and Revisions After a Few Months of Playing

• 2007 AAR League

@Cmdr:

UK could move to Okinawa for the IPC and the NO.  But honestly, with 10 fighters in range of everything, you should have invited the allies to land in Carolines and sent all their boats into the drink at the cost of a few fighters.

When I’m playing Japan I don’t really worry too much about the UK taking it’s Pacific NO because that extra money is rarely spent against Japan. At best, it can be used to convert inf into arm at an India IC but I usually assume that the UK is always building armor there, anyway.

My focus is strictly on the US in KJF. If I have a chance to reclaim my territory from the UK and take away their NO without sacrificing units then I’ll do it, but I won’t go out of my way to deal with them.

• @U-505:

When I’m playing Japan I don’t really worry too much about the UK taking it’s Pacific NO because that extra money is rarely spent against Japan.

i can’t see how which country one is playing makes any difference. the extra money will get used against germany, which is bad for your side.

axis and allies is a multiplayer game in name only.

• 2007 AAR League

@U-505:

@Cmdr:

UK could move to Okinawa for the IPC and the NO.  But honestly, with 10 fighters in range of everything, you should have invited the allies to land in Carolines and sent all their boats into the drink at the cost of a few fighters.

When I’m playing Japan I don’t really worry too much about the UK taking it’s Pacific NO because that extra money is rarely spent against Japan. At best, it can be used to convert inf into arm at an India IC but I usually assume that the UK is always building armor there, anyway.

My focus is strictly on the US in KJF. If I have a chance to reclaim my territory from the UK and take away their NO without sacrificing units then I’ll do it, but I won’t go out of my way to deal with them.

It wasn’t just the NO, it was the strategic location.  Had I allowed UK to take that undefended and then the us followed up, Japan would have had to divert forces to deal with that, placing those forces there made it an unactractive move and now I can concentrate forces elsewhere.

• 2007 AAR League

@rockrobinoff:

@U-505:

When I’m playing Japan I don’t really worry too much about the UK taking it’s Pacific NO because that extra money is rarely spent against Japan.

i can’t see how which country one is playing makes any difference. the extra money will get used against germany, which is bad for your side.

axis and allies is a multiplayer game in name only.

It has nothing to do with the multiplayer aspect of the game. Five extra IPC’s against Germany in a KJF is peanuts. There is no point putting my Japanese fleet into a weak position just to try to prevent the UK from getting an extra 5 IPC’s that won’t even be spent against Japan. Keep the Japanese fleet along the coast against a KJF and don’t stick your neck out unless it comes with a big payoff.

Case in point. The map shows that 1 CA, 2 TP has to be sacrificed and 2 inf, 2 arm will be stranded on the Caroline Islands to prevent the UK from getting the NO when a landing in Iwo Jima gets the UK NO, anyway. Now, tell me if that is worth it.

• 2007 AAR League

@Emperor:

@U-505:

@Cmdr:

It wasn’t just the NO, it was the strategic location.  Had I allowed UK to take that undefended and then the us followed up, Japan would have had to divert forces to deal with that, placing those forces there made it an unactractive move and now I can concentrate forces elsewhere.

Well the point is moot now so I can comment on that turn.

First, the UK should have built 3 SS in India to force you to move your sz37 fleet and keep it from landing units on your turn or you would risk an attack of 3 SS, 1 fig, 1 bmb against your fleet of 2 fig, 1 BB, 1 CV, 2 TP. Assuming 2 hits for each side, if she took her first 2 casualties as the aircraft it would have rendered your fighters useless against the subs most likely leaving you with 1 BB(dmgd), 1 CV, 1 fig v. 3 SS. Even if you did an unorthodox move and took your 2 fig as your first 2 casualties and left the BB undamaged she could instead lose 1 or 2 of the subs and save her aircraft to still have an advantage.

The UK would follow it up with a landing in Iwo Jima and the W Can inf to AK.

On the US turn, they build 1 CV, 2 fig, 1 DD, 1 SS in sz56. Next, they attack sz51 with 6 fighters and if they take no casualties they move everything to sz59 and also land in Iwo Jima. If they lose a fighter they could still go to sz59 but an all out attack would be at a small Japanese advantage so they could always just land 3 of their fighters to protect Iwo Jima from a landing and put the rest of their fleet in sz57. And last, they move the 4 bmb from the UK. 2 into AK with the W Can inf to try to sucker you into attacking there and the other 2 into W Can. Sz62 is now under threat from 4 bmb, 7 or 8 fighters, 2 DD, and 3 CV.

With those 2 turns, they get the NO, clear sz51 stranding the ground units in the Carolines, and force both of your fleets out of sz37 temporarily and, even worse, out of sz62 possibly for good.

• 2007 AAR League

@U-505:

@Emperor:

@U-505:

@Cmdr:

Well the point is moot now so I can comment on that turn.

First, the UK should have built 3 SS in India to force you to move your sz37 fleet and keep it from landing units on your turn or you would risk an attack of 3 SS, 1 fig, 1 bmb against your fleet of 2 fig, 1 BB, 1 CV, 2 TP. Assuming 2 hits for each side, if she took her first 2 casualties as the aircraft it would have rendered your fighters useless against the subs most likely leaving you with 1 BB(dmgd), 1 CV, 1 fig v. 3 SS. Even if you did an unorthodox move and took your 2 fig as your first 2 casualties and left the BB undamaged she could instead lose 1 or 2 of the subs and save her aircraft to still have an advantage.

The UK would follow it up with a landing in Iwo Jima and the W Can inf to AK.

On the US turn, they build 1 CV, 2 fig, 1 DD, 1 SS in sz56. Next, they attack sz51 with 6 fighters and if they take no casualties they move everything to sz59 and also land in Iwo Jima. If they lose a fighter they could still go to sz59 but an all out attack would be at a small Japanese advantage so they could always just land 3 of their fighters to protect Iwo Jima from a landing and put the rest of their fleet in sz57. And last, they move the 4 bmb from the UK. 2 into AK with the W Can inf to try to sucker you into attacking there and the other 2 into W Can. Sz62 is now under threat from 4 bmb, 7 or 8 fighters, 2 DD, and 3 CV.

With those 2 turns, they get the NO, clear sz51 stranding the ground units in the Carolines, and force both of your fleets out of sz37 temporarily and, even worse, out of sz62 possibly for good.

A 3SS build in India could be easily countered with a move of my fleet to sz38 where Sumatra has an IC, a 4 ship build with fighters from Caroline should do nicely.

• @rockrobinoff:

@bugoo:

One of my thoughts after playing allies is france is bait that is not worth it.  Unless it can be taken, and held, nine times out of ten it is not worth trading.

Not worth trading at 11 bucks a pop?

No, not if you loose more than 11 IPCs worth in units to trade it.  You’d end up with a net loss.  Now, if you could thereby impose a higher net loss on Germany, that’s one thing, but it’'s unlikely if your force is too small to hold France.

• 2007 AAR League

@Emperor:

A 3SS build in India could be easily countered with a move of my fleet to sz38 where Sumatra has an IC, a 4 ship build with fighters from Caroline should do nicely.

Right. But, the point I was trying to make was that you are too spread out. In order to protect 1 of those sea zones you have to give up the other and the goal was to get you to move to protect the home waters. Protecting sz37 at the expense of sz62 could backfire because once the US establishes dominance over sz62, it’s just a matter of time before Japan starts to collapse. After that, it’s all fighters, subs, and ground units coming out of sz56 with a couple transports to support the next move which is to start landing through Alaska into Bury to clear out Asia and take away their income before moving on to the home island.

• @Upside-down_Turtle:

No, not if you loose(sic) more than 11 IPCs worth in units to trade it.

I believe what is relevant is some formula based on the total cost in units in proportion to the difference in economies between the axis and the allies. if the allies are ahead economically, then a 1 - 1 trade in units is to their advantage, for instance.

• Yes, economy is also a factor, however, I don’t like to view IPC superiority as a “margin of error”, or something that can be wasted.  I’m more of a “save for a rainy day” type of player.  I say, if your IPC advantage is really that great, wait a turn or two to build up your forces, then crush Germany in one blow.  :evil:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m