I’m enjoying 1942 more so far. The allies seem to have more options for taking the fight to areas outside of europe. Japan actually has to make tough choices (they can’t do everything at once, which they can in 41) and a rich germany makes for a better game. Russia is much weaker, but still hard to crack. And it’s nice having an airforce, which they can’t afford to buy in 1941. It means you can utilise that sub in interesting ways.
A point to note is the turn order is much better for the allies in 1942. Russia can take chinese territories after japan’s move, meaning that China can get credit for it. Britain can grab the german territories for Russia’s 10 IPC objective before Germany can fight back which is incredibly powerful. And italy can no longer grab territories to help german NOs (russia goes in between now). There’s nothing very good for the axis with this turn order.
I like that there is no strike on Egypt G1, meaning more stable outcomes to games.
My one bugbear with 1942 is the DD and 2 transports sitting in sz10, in range of a german sub… a big swing in unit value rides on the balance. It’s too tasty a morsel not to attack: 40% chance of killing 22 IPCs of navy, 20% chance of winning 2, 40% of losing 6. At least it’s not as erratic as the egypt situation in 1941 though, where 20 IPC income difference every turn hangs on the outcome.
If you haven’t played much 1942, I recommend giving it a go. While the setup looks like revised, the game has obviously changed a lot in fundamental ways (i.e. Italy, NOs, China…).