Stalingrad T-34 rust special (ugly duckling)

• When the Germans had Stalingrad under siege, the hard-pressed Soviets drove thier tanks directly from the factory to the battlefield. If you were a factory worker, you became a tank crewman as soon as you finished the tank you were working on. Your tank went into battle with no extras. No tools, no cables, no extra fuel tanks, maybe a machine gun if you were lucky, a couple rounds of ammo for your main gun, and NO PAINT.

Now I worked at a snowplow factory for awhile, and when we sat an unpainted plow outside on a friday, it was gleaming with brilliant rust, all over, by monday. Now imagine after an entire winter, then a wet, spring. Rust city !
    –-------

Process: This one’s a secret. It has a very authentic rusty texture. In hand, you would think it is actually rusted metal (except for the wieght). I will say, that it involves applying FLOUR to the tank when its still very wet all over with paint or varnish. Ink is a key in the process. The floured (and then selaed) body acts like an ink sponge, with a “wicking” effect that makes for dramatic inking restrictions (and also great possibilities).

I will start with the first few steps, so as to shock you (hopefully).

• after a bit more ink:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m