• 2007 AAR League

was hitlers invasion of the soviet union code named “barbarossa”?

why on earth would they knowingly give the biggest operation undertaken by the german army  the codename which is the name of an byzantine emperor who drown while swimming in a creek on his way to leading his army to jerusalem.

wouldn’t they consider that bad luck? i mean, they were basically launching a crusade to moscow themselves.  and look, they wound up short themselves, drowning metaphorically on the banks of the volga.

not a big deal, i was just wondering.

• '16 '15 '10

@balungaloaf:

was hitlers invasion of the soviet union code named “barbarossa”?

why on earth would they knowingly give the biggest operation undertaken by the german army  the codename which is the name of an byzantine emperor who drown while swimming in a creek on his way to leading his army to jerusalem.

wouldn’t they consider that bad luck? i mean, they were basically launching a crusade to moscow themselves.  and look, they wound up short themselves, drowning metaphorically on the banks of the volga.

Well Barbarossa was 1) a German 2) led an invasion against an “evil” empire in the East.

That’s about it.  Reasoned decision making was not Hitler’s strong point.

• Frederick Barbarossa was one of the greatest hero’s in German History. He was Hitlers personal hero. He successfully protected the feudal states of Germany from foreign invasions and established the first German Reich. His zealous personality was of vital influence to the crusades against Muslims in the middle ages. Hitler viewed his activities in the Soviet Union as another modern crusade against communism, so he felt the analogy fitted to his operations in Russia.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m