• My cousin told me that during one game of A@A, he was US and all he did was build carriers and fighters to keep Japan in the Pacific and to wipe out any German threat. It apparently worked because he won that game. But, all in all, is this a good strategy? Thx in advance for your replies.

• I’d ask him for the rest of the story on that, there’s different ways that could go.  Was it a close victory?  who was the noob to the game?  Did someone overcompensate?  Winning once and being able to repeat are different.

Outspending Japan in the Pacific is easy, and if Japan counters US’ CVs with their own, they won’t win.  Should they use SS to counter, that’s better.

Carriers shuffling Fighters to Europe to protect Allied landings without their own ground troops will help UK/USSR troops, yes and protect UK ships from Axis planes.

CV’s and fighters are a great luxury for the US that most other nations can’t get regularly, so they’ll have an impact, but I would think that you’d need more to take the islands in the Pacific and in the Atlantic you’ll have too many to really use and have to switch to something else to really help the cause.

• '16 '15 '10

Just carriers and fighters alone aren’t going to get the job done.

That said aircraft carriers and fighters were decisive technologies in World War II (next to tanks, subs, and bombers).  And at only 10$, fighters are a bargain.  Only tanks and inf are bigger bargains in AA Revised.  Subs and destroyers are useless in land battles; battleships are too expensive.  Fighters on the other hand are a sound and flexible investment.

So yeah, getting 3 ACs for the Pacific battle is highly recommended.  It’s also a decent precaution to get a carrier USA1 if you are going with an Atlantic strat (though sometimes you can do without it).  But I wouldn’t go to far with it–don’t buy more than 1 AC per turn.  Ultimately the game is won by land units so dont forget to buy transports and men.  Keep in mind that you want 2 subs, 2 trannies, 1 destroyer, 6 fighters, 1 BB, and 3 CVs as your baseline USA Pacific fleet–if the Japs build subs or air then you’ll have to build more (and by that i mean subs, 1 more carrier, and 2 more fighters…and then bombers when you are ready to go on the offensive).  This fleet will be ready to go USA3 if there’s no Pearl attack…otherwise you have to wait till USA4.  The nice thing with going with a heavy air strat is at 10$ fighters are cheap to replace and since they can move 4 spaces they can get to their destinations quicker than normal naval units.

• Yeah thanks for comments. He did say that it wasn’t a blowout, but not close. He had 4 CV’s in Pacific and I think 2 or 3 in Atlantic. I’m sorry he did buy transports and some infantry, but mainly the carrier/fig strat. All in all, it may be a good strat to try, but nothing I’m goin to focus every game on.

• Zhukov44 makes some good points.  CV/FIG’s continually being added to the Allied cause is something that cannot be really countered early in the game.  Big thing is for the other allies to be able to stand their ground or slowly retreat as best they can until US can bring the weight of their industry to point on the Axis.  This being that they won’t be adding as much in the way of ground or other support units, and as for the fighters, they are with the carriers.

• only reason i asked this question (besides to see if it was a good strat) is because i’m a naval guy and my fleet will be huge! I was wondering how many CV’s to field in each theater. The Japan player I found is really expierienced, so the more mobile firepower i have, the better.

• '16 '15 '10

I wouldn’t advise buying aircraft carriers on both fronts.  You can’t afford to go Pacific against a good Axis opponent unless you are willing to spend 90-95% of USA’s income on Pacific fleet in the first 2 or even 3 turns.  The reason is USA has to move quick–it doesn’t have time to build up more than a few rounds.  So if I’m going Pacific I’ll just use the existing 2 transports and the destroyer to help United Kingdom in the Atlantic.  Every other resource is going to the Pacific except for 2-4 land units for my Atlantic trannies.

Naturally once you defeat Japan’s fleet you can start putting more resources into destroying Germany.

If you don’t feel like you can make this sort of commitment then IMHO you should go all Atlantic–focusing on destroying Germany is a safer strategy in general.  Japan’s starting advantage in the Pacific battle means Pacific wars frequently favor Axis…but if Japan leaves itself open that’s another matter.

• @EagleX16:

I was wondering how many CV’s to field in each theater.

In my play of AAR (has been awhile) as the Allies, or more typically the US– for the Atlantic, I don’t think I’ve ever had more than 2 CVs, maybe with a third for UK.
    In the Pacific, can go up, a couple early, but then add on a couple more if as I island hop always with a mix though.

As Japan I like to try and add CV’s too to help keep US honest, though not as frequent.

• Has anyone tried to by an Aircraft Carrier and trans on Russia turn 1?

• @KindWinds:

Has anyone tried to by an Aircraft Carrier and trans on Russia turn 1?

I tried this once- it was a nice change of pace, but I ultimately lost the game.
    Wouldn’t recommend it unless you want to give the Axis player a better chance to win, but that is what bidding is usually for.

• Did you buy a transport with it R1 or a sub?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m