• Did you tell them to keep it in the mylar sheath?  evil

no. they told me they were catholic  said “we donn do dat”

• ok, do i pretty much tuned out somewhere on the first page of discussion, crack about Star Wars explosions in space (made for the movie, not argued to be accurate), SW showing possible evolution (Long, long time ago…) and the Lord of the Rings (not a comic and created way back and in England no less, come on!)

anyhow, the argument about comics made into movies, reminded me of an interview I read with Alan Moore (watchmen), about his agreement with IL… how he doesn’t like comic book movies and isn’t going to see Watchmen.

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/exclusive-why-alan-moore-hates-comic-book-movies

i’ll leave the discussion to you guys…

• Troll somewhere else,

@LuckyDay:

ok, do i pretty much tuned out somewhere on the first page of discussion… i’ll leave the discussion to you guys…

LuckyDay, we already have one under this bridge.

• @LuckyDay:

ok, do i pretty much tuned out somewhere on the first page of discussion, crack about Star Wars explosions in space (made for the movie, not argued to be accurate), SW showing possible evolution (Long, long time ago…) and the Lord of the Rings (not a comic and created way back and in England no less, come on!)

That was in response to IL stating he doesn’t “do” comic book movies because they aren’t real/believable, then said Star Wars & Trek were more realistic.  So I listed a few things that aren’t realistic about those off the top of my head.  It wasn’t a knock on Star Wars so much as hypocrisy.

• That was in response to IL stating he doesn’t “do” comic book movies because they aren’t real/believable

I didn’t just say this Jermo, I just doubt their value to convey anything but low level entertainment for mostly simple people ( no not you Jermo) and they are just a vehicle to market all sorts of specific kinds of commercial interests which to me at least encourages poor decisions making in personal life. It may seem very arbitrary to make this statement, but i have seen the pattern too many times in others and must tie these aspects together in some way.

Its not that they are not realistic, its actually that the story just seems really childish because its using the visual effects to direct the story rather than the story directing the action. I would rather see more serious movies, but by the same token the Star Wars story is quite involved and just uses the backdrop of the future to tell its story.

Bladerunner was an outstanding movie and concept, while comic book movies really just suck and yes both are unrealistic, but the first movie has an incredible story and didn’t rely on action to drive it. In Transformers all i can think is Chevrolet paying the producers a huge sum to get its cars shown and used to become robots so young dumb types will go out and by a Camaro or some other POS. The whole movie was a product placement excuse to sell various trash to poor people. It had absolutely no story and the worst acting possible.  But its the same thing we get in these movies all the time absolutely no high level art but digestible to perhaps only the Dorito and Slurpee crowd. I think these movies are dumbing people down.

• @Imperious:

I didn’t just say this Jermo, I just doubt their value to convey anything but low level entertainment for mostly simple people ( no not you Jermo) and they are just a vehicle to market all sorts of specific kinds of commercial interests which to me at least encourages poor decisions making in personal life. It may seem very arbitrary to make this statement, but i have seen the pattern too many times in others and must tie these aspects together in some way.

Making a movie is a commercial interest in itself.  I don’t see how making things people will buy is necessarily a bad or immoral thing.  And Star Wars has to be the worst offender at this - 7 movies I can think of (I - VI, Clone Wars - I think there was an Ewok movie too), TV specials (A Star Wars Christmas???), action figures, toys, Lego crossover, video games (hordes of them), comic books, books & expanded universe, etc.

Its not that they are not realistic, its actually that the story just seems really childish because its using the visual effects to direct the story rather than the story directing the action. I would rather see more serious movies, but by the same token the Star Wars story is quite involved and just uses the backdrop of the future to tell its story.

Crap has existed well before CGI or comics.  And Star Wars is VERY effects heavy.  In fact, Industrial Lights & Magic was created specifically for the first movie.

Also, if you think it’s a projection of the future, you need rewatch the first minute of A New Hope and face the fact that once we reach space it will be nothing like Star Wars.

Bladerunner was an outstanding movie and concept, while comic book movies really just suck and yes both are unrealistic, but the first movie has an incredible story and didn’t rely on action to drive it. In Transformers all i can think is Chevrolet paying the producers a huge sum to get its cars shown and used to become robots so young dumb types will go out and by a Camaro or some other POS. The whole movie was a product placement excuse to sell various trash to poor people. It had absolutely no story and the worst acting possible.  But its the same thing we get in these movies all the time absolutely no high level art but digestible to perhaps only the Dorito and Slurpee crowd. I think these movies are dumbing people down.

Bladerunner was scifi book before a movie…easily could have been a comic book (Sean Young is hot as hell in that movie)  I haven’t seen Transformers even though it was a huge part of my childhood.

• @LuckyDay:

anyhow, the argument about comics made into movies, reminded me of an interview I read with Alan Moore (watchmen), about his agreement with IL… how he doesn’t like comic book movies and isn’t going to see Watchmen.

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/exclusive-why-alan-moore-hates-comic-book-movies

i’ll leave the discussion to you guys…

I read that and it’s really myopic.

1. “Comics don’t work as films.”  What he really goes on to say is that so many stupid people are involved with making the movie and they destroy it.  Which has nothing to do with comics at all, and can be attributed to all movies.
    2. “Hollywood is full of idiots.”  He repeats number one and gives one example.  Wow.
    3. “Comics are better than blockbusters.”  Well duh, and book adaption is never as good as the original.  It’s just what’s lost in translation.  Doesn’t mean the movie can’t be entertaining or good anyway. He also goes on to repeat “it’s all about money” which was already stated.
    4. “Films are a waste of money.” He says they spent 100 million on a crappy movie he hasn’t and won’t see.  That money could have been spent on needy people.  Well, the same could be said for comic books, tv, anything that doesn’t produce value or is entertaining.  There’s a slight point to all that, but let’s be realistic.  A production company isn’t a charitable group…it makes movies.  Expecting it to dump investments in a poor nation is an asinine thought.
    5. “Movie contracts are ridiculous.”  He gave an example of Sean Connery wanting to make changes to a previous movie and asking for lots of money, so he repeated two points he already repeated before.
    6. “The modern American comics industry is ideologically flawed.” This part is absurd.  He compares comics to American foreign policy, the Iraq War, terrorist bombings, etc.  Here, take a look at these gems:

“That’s why I believe guns are so popular in America – because you can ambush people, you can shoot them in the back, you can behave in a very cowardly fashion. Friendly fire, or as we call it everywhere else in the world, American fire.”

“There’s that beautiful bit of dialogue from the cockpit video when they say, “You’ve just bombed a load of Brits.” Their pilots say, “Woah, dude, we’re going to jail.” This is the Iraq war, not Bill And Ted’s Excellent Adventure!”

“And as Londoners, when we had that little bit of bother on the 7th July 2005 – after America had two big buildings blown up… Terrible shame, but we had a lot more than two buildings blown up during the ‘40s when America was providing most of the munitions to Hitler…”

The best part is at the end of the article: “Alan Moore’s latest project, Lost Girls, is on sale now.”  So this is all an advertisement for his new work.  Where’s that disdain of money now?  “Comic book movies suck…here are my two reasons I don’t like them…which I will repeat over and over and never admit it applies to all movies…oh, and buy my stuff!”  Funny.

Ultimately though…I don’t care what he thinks.  He’s good at writing a story, and I enjoy it, but I don’t need him, or IL, to tell me that comic book movies are dumb.

• Making a movie is a commercial interest in itself.  I don’t see how making things people will buy is necessarily a bad or immoral thing.  And Star Wars has to be the worst offender at this - 7 movies I can think of (I - VI, Clone Wars - I think there was an Ewok movie too), TV specials (A Star Wars Christmas???), action figures, toys, Lego crossover, video games (hordes of them), comic books, books & expanded universe, etc.

It is but the level its flogged at every level in the comic book movie vs. say a movie like “let their be blood” is astoundingly different. The former uses every cheesy action plot device and trick to provide the same ‘good guy/ bad guy’ thing to the point where its message is just very simple. In blood you get much greater developed characters and stories that are believable and capable of delivering more depth.

In Their will be Blood i didn’t see any Taco Bell “blood” meals with that disgusting burrito thing, now the Coke and Pepsi tie in  etc…  I agree with Star Wars sentiment and mostly i can concur that its rather childish as well, but the first 2 movies didn’t have the crap to a large extent and those are the only ones that were good.

For Star Trek the only one i liked was the first one and Khan. You could not pay me to see the others.  IN both cases I was a kid when these movies came out, so i have an excuse to like them.

• @Imperious:

It is but the level its flogged at every level in the comic book movie vs. say a movie like “let their be blood” is astoundingly different. The former uses every cheesy action plot device and trick to provide the same ‘good guy/ bad guy’ thing to the point where its message is just very simple. In blood you get much greater developed characters and stories that are believable and capable of delivering more depth.

In Their will be Blood i didn’t see any Taco Bell “blood” meals with that disgusting burrito thing, now the Coke and Pepsi tie in  etc…  I agree with Star Wars sentiment and mostly i can concur that its rather childish as well, but the first 2 movies didn’t have the crap to a large extent and those are the only ones that were good.

For Star Trek the only one i liked was the first one and Khan. You could not pay me to see the others.  IN both cases I was a kid when these movies came out, so i have an excuse to like them.

There Will Be Blood was subtle product placement for Dairy Queen "Milk"shakes.

Or that song that brings all the boys to the yard.

• IL,

A great number of people could argue that activly participating on a forum for a board game would be childish yet here we are.

• A great number of people could argue that activly participating on a forum for a board game would be childish yet here we are.

Thats why i design them and not really play them, because i find it more interesting to help people who:

1. cant make nifty maps and artwork but have a need for it
    2. help solve some of the problems of realism in these games and find new solutions
    3. Playing a game can be a mental struggle which does not ruin a good mind. Thats why i also play Chess and Poker… but i can never find anything with comics stimulating whatsoever.

I also saw this crappy movie and aside from alternating scenes of people getting their arms cut, face smashed in, the most vulgar violence and gratuitous sex at every 5 minutes period i rate the movie as the greatest artwork ever created in film and it will undoubtedly lead to the most positive cultural development in the last 100 years.

I think it will lead to world peas.

• @Imperious:

A great number of people could argue that activly participating on a forum for a board game would be childish yet here we are.

Thats why i design them and not really play them, because i find it more interesting to help people who:

2. help solve some of the problems of realism in these games and find new solutions
    3. Playing a game can be a mental struggle which does not ruin a good mind. Thats why i also play Chess and Poker… but i can never find anything with comics stimulating whatsoever.

I also saw this crappy movie and aside from alternating scenes of people getting their arms cut, face smashed in, the most vulgar violence and gratuitous sex at every 5 minutes period i rate the movie as the greatest artwork ever created in film and it will undoubtedly lead to the most positive cultural development in the last 100 years.

My point was that some may find diffrent aspects of diffrent hobbies interesting and they may mean nothing to others.

• I think the point of this topic has worn out. We need to start a new topic called Comics = Kids and old people who want to be young?

I think this Arguing needs to stop here before this turns political snd I know if not stopped this will become political.

• IL and I have had disagreements over the past 2 years but they have never involved politics.  I express my opinion and I learn something new when he expresses his.

Not to say he converts me to his side always but I walk away with a new understanding and gain a new respect from his point of view.  I hope it works both ways.

• @Imperious:

Your sarcasm is spot on since they obviously made this movie to achieve “world peas.”

Get over yourself.  Do you ever eat fast food?  That “cuisine” will never achieve culinary excellence like a 5 star restaurant.  Do you run marathons and have an Olympic athlete’s physique?  Do you actually ever contribute anything in your posts, or do you feel it necessary to knock everything, even off topic?

There is nothing wrong with comic books, The Watchmen, or people enjoying either.  There is, however, something the matter with you when you beat a topic to death, when no one asked or cared to know your opinion in the first place.

I know it won’t change the fact that you will continue to be a judgmental hypocrit, but I’m done with it anyway so it doesn’t matter.

I enjoyed the movie.  I’m glad you didn’t and wasted your money. Thanks for supporting movies you find inferior and that you weren’t going to see anyway.

• Get over yourself.  Do you ever eat fast food?  That “cuisine” will never achieve culinary excellence like a 5 star restaurant.  Do you run marathons and have an Olympic athlete’s physique?  Do you actually ever contribute anything in your posts, or do you feel it necessary to knock everything, even off topic?

Thanks for making my points for me. People should strive for better things. Also, I feel most of your posts are nearly always responding to the same people with your own “disagreements”. As for me i don’t like mediocrity and thats not a negative trait, but a positive commitment to do better things. I have heard your own case of generalization that i am negative toward ‘everything’ which i find somewhat amusing. Its also a funny that your always complaining about anything that’s posted which is contrary to your own belief to the point where you keep attacking it, and you have hijacked your own thread with constant questions and reposts. A positive person as you claim you are would just let an opinion fly because thats why we are here to discuss ideas and they may not all be to your liking, so stop attacking me and making accusations. I have not once ‘attacked’ your position that you find the comic book movies mentally stimulating, but have only defended against your and a few others jarbs.

Ill leave this thread open, but if you continue to post more posts where you involve me or my opinion, ill have it closed because it was you that derailed it yet again. I am also tired of answering your comments.

• @Imperious:

Get over yourself.  Do you ever eat fast food?  That “cuisine” will never achieve culinary excellence like a 5 star restaurant.  Do you run marathons and have an Olympic athlete’s physique?  Do you actually ever contribute anything in your posts, or do you feel it necessary to knock everything, even off topic?

Thanks for making my points for me. People should strive for better things. Also, I feel most of your posts are nearly always responding to the same people with your own “disagreements”. As for me i don’t like mediocrity and thats not a negative trait, but a positive commitment to do better things. I have heard your own case of generalization that i am negative toward ‘everything’ which i find somewhat amusing. Its also a funny that your always complaining about anything that’s posted which is contrary to your own belief to the point where you keep attacking it, and you have hijacked your own thread with constant questions and reposts. A positive person as you claim you are would just let an opinion fly because thats why we are here to discuss ideas and they may not all be to your liking, so stop attacking me and making accusations. I have not once ‘attacked’ your position that you find the comic book movies mentally stimulating, but have only defended against your and a few others jarbs.

Ill leave this thread open, but if you continue to post more posts where you involve me or my opinion, ill have it closed because it was you that derailed it yet again. I am also tired of answering your comments.

@Jermofoot:

@Imperious:

Your sarcasm is spot on since they obviously made this movie to achieve “world peas.”

Get over yourself.  Do you ever eat fast food?  That “cuisine” will never achieve culinary excellence like a 5 star restaurant.  Do you run marathons and have an Olympic athlete’s physique?  Do you actually ever contribute anything in your posts, or do you feel it necessary to knock everything, even off topic?

There is nothing wrong with comic books, The Watchmen, or people enjoying either.  There is, however, something the matter with you when you beat a topic to death, when no one asked or cared to know your opinion in the first place.

I know it won’t change the fact that you will continue to be a judgmental hypocrit, but I’m done with it anyway so it doesn’t matter.

I enjoyed the movie.  I’m glad you didn’t and wasted your money. Thanks for supporting movies you find inferior and that you weren’t going to see anyway.

@LT04:

IL and I have had disagreements over the past 2 years but they have never involved politics.  I express my opinion and I learn something new when he expresses his.

Not to say he converts me to his side always but I walk away with a new understanding and gain a new respect from his point of view.  I hope it works both ways.

OMFG does this deal with the movie the watchmen?

• It clearly does not but if somebody kept reposting what you wrote and asked all sorts of questions and attacked your point of view incessantly, would you not respond?  I wish people would leave me out of the conversation. I make one post and get a constant engagement for something thats not important to me. Its like some kind of sick joke.

I will just close this thread.

If you want to make a new one just leave me out of it. Don’t post anything in it concerning me or anything from this thread/posts.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m