• sz 37 / sz 51 = 5 ftr

• Both those IC’s are useless. Any good Japan player will take Australia as soon as possible and the Alaska IC won’t threathen invasion. If you want to distract Japan, multiple US fleets are needed to take back islands and a solid contribution from Russia toward India and China (which Russia can afford to do in the '41 setup). It doesn’t take many Russians to hold four Chinese territories and 2 INF a turn add up quickly when there’s 6-8 Russian units beside it. Japan must be stretched but the IC’s in Australia and/or Alaska won’t do it.

• If Japan is the slow axis power to kill russia, and germany is the fast one, wouldn’t taking british IPCs away from the german fight where its nice and close, to australia where you are building boats, just be a gift wrapped package for germany?

• @kendric:

If Japan is the slow axis power to kill russia, and germany is the fast one, wouldn’t taking british IPCs away from the german fight where its nice and close, to australia where you are building boats, just be a gift wrapped package for germany?

My thoughts exactly. Especially if he’s enforcing it with 2 fighters at R2 as he said, that would mean 15 ipc + 20 ipc lost from the Euro front. UK can’t afford that…

• I dont know…IMO, the econs in this game are one big intertwined mess. If the Brits are investing in the Pacific then they are likely not losing money as quickly in Africa and Mid East (or even Pacific). Japan cant be strong enough to take a reinforced Australia as well as pressure Russia, maintain the drive on India/China AND fight the US in the Pacific. She simply doesnt have THAT kind of econ that early in the game.

Soooo, a ‘weaker’ Britain in Europe (but stronger in the Pacific) means less pressure on Russia from behind and more Brit money down the road to annoy Germany with. I dont think its as cut and dried as it seems on the surface.

That said, I’m still not big fan of an Aussie IC since I think the same basic effect can be gained with a South African IC without the potential vulnerability and with more ability to help preserve Africa.

• A standard German and Japan approach has UK back at 35 ipc at the end of UK1.
    With just the 43 ipc starting income…that money is much needed to build a reasonable force that can and protect it’s transport vessels, and be a threat to Germany at the same time.

Then again…I am only in my first game a sUK as we speak…

• I’m beginning to think that this strategy is better if you build the IC in India.  There is no way for Japan to take India if Russia moves a few of their units in, if they do, Japan won’t be able to take it before B2 occurs and India starts getting reinforced heavily.

• If russia does that she will be too spread out.  The best way for the UK to help in asia is to keep russia alive long enough for the US to gain control of the south pacific and to let russia feed china.

• and India IC slows down Japan but at what cost? imfo its totally useless UK1 ( in the long run)

• I actually enjoy it when the UK throws an IC in India. Not only will I be able to take it with Japan in T3 or T4 (with the help of an E. Indies IC, of course) but it also forces the UK player to build 3 units there for as long as they have it. Those 10-15 IPC’s spent their each turn take too much away from the Atlantic. Let the US focus on Japan and the UK can deal with Germany.

Japan cannot just simply match US naval units in the Pacific. After the third US turn I usually have 1 battleship, 2 loaded carriers, 2 destroyers and 2-3 subs off the coast of Alaska, with 3 bombers in Alaska and another 3 maybe 4 subs that I just built in WUS. If Japan kept all their navy at home then sure they can attack my fleet but at what cost, I’m rolling 5 at 4 or less with at least 6 fodder. Plus my bombers and subs will counterattack what’s left (likely no destroyers). The first 4 turns the US player must go all out in the Pacific to even come close to slowing down Japan. The last 4 games I’ve played with the allies this plan has worked.

• @alwayswin:

I actually enjoy it when the UK throws an IC in India. Not only will I be able to take it with Japan in T3 or T4 (with the help of an E. Indies IC, of course) but it also forces the UK player to build 3 units there for as long as they have it. Those 10-15 IPC’s spent their each turn take too much away from the Atlantic. Let the US focus on Japan and the UK can deal with Germany.

Japan cannot just simply match US naval units in the Pacific. After the third US turn I usually have 1 battleship, 2 loaded carriers, 2 destroyers and 2-3 subs off the coast of Alaska, with 3 bombers in Alaska and another 3 maybe 4 subs that I just built in WUS. If Japan kept all their navy at home then sure they can attack my fleet but at what cost, I’m rolling 5 at 4 or less with at least 6 fodder. Plus my bombers and subs will counterattack what’s left (likely no destroyers). The first 4 turns the US player must go all out in the Pacific to even come close to slowing down Japan. The last 4 games I’ve played with the allies this plan has worked.

Actually I’ve play tested the IC in India several times and if Japan is played right the IC will fall on J2.  An IC in India is nothing more than a free gift for Japan.

• If England chooses to place an IC anywhere which I don’t recommend, the ideal places are South Africa for battling over Africa against the Axis or possibly Australia with strong US support to combat the Pacific and stop Japanese island control.  I just think UK money could be better spent building and controlling the Atlantic.

IMO, the only way the India IC is viable is if Japan has some bad rolls on J1 making either a J2 attack impossible or highly unlikely.  Another key would be if Sz 30 is safe from attack b/c then you can pull 1 inf, 1 rt from Aus to land on Ind (+3 new units) and probably 1 ftr/1 bom.  Not sure how long it will hold out but in this scenerio Russia may be able to spare 1-2 inf starting in round 2 or at the very least stack a couple armor in Cauc for emergency if added defense is needed.

I suppose if Japan does roll bad you can maybe go all out and try a KJF with the India IC and US dropping a major fleet in Sz 56.  I think in this case India would be very tough to crack without sacrificing the Pacific to the US.

• I agree with DarthMaximus’ asertion that the only way a factory in India is to work is if Japan roles rubbish dices. Aside from that i would think that the only real option for a UK factory in an average game is South Africa and that would depend on whether egypt survives and how many units germany is left with there if it gets the territory

• @Fighter:

I agree with DarthMaximus’ asertion that the only way a factory in India is to work is if Japan roles rubbish dices.

Or if Russia moves some Infantry into India on R2.  Russia will get a good return on that with a group of British Tanks able to hold the Japanese at bay and support the Caucasus.

• and italy will be happy securing the med since england is pushing half its money into india

• @wodan46:

@Fighter:

I agree with DarthMaximus’ asertion that the only way a factory in India is to work is if Japan roles rubbish dices.

Or if Russia moves some Infantry into India on R2.  Russia will get a good return on that with a group of British Tanks able to hold the Japanese at bay and support the Caucasus.

I’m not saying it couldn’t work, but it is a tough nut for the UK to crack in the first place, and this takes ressources away from the landing in germany, which gives the germans even more manouvre room to attack russia, and if russia is also to provide units to the chinieese defence, then the russians can very quickly find theselves in a mesh they can’t get out of in the run into just below-par dices. I would probably hate being the russian player in that strategy if the germans are having some good first round battles with low casulties

• the only nation that really MUST build at least one IC is Japan early in the game. possibly Italy if they get Egypt AND USA is pacific only. the more ive played the game the more i dislike any UK IC.

• The only time I build an IC with the UK in India is in the '42 setup with huge Pacific support by the USA (as I always do). In '41 I am strongly against the India IC (as I’ve mentioned before in this forum). The difference is obvious: 1941 Japan has 5 transports and can easily take India J2, even with the US going all out in the Pacific, there’s just not enough starting power for the allies. 1942 however, it is much more difficult for Japan to get to India with enough to take and hold it. The US Pacific fleet in 42 is strong and when made stronger turn 1 can cause the Japanese to stay at home for a few turns; thus allowing the UK to protect the IC in India.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m