Is it true that unless Carriers stay to the periphrey, they will be sunk??

• So is that what basically everyone?? is saying: that becz of the Rules, carriers need to go into The Slot; which did not happen historically? Is that right?

That is a disappointment. I mean, the rules should try to recreate or mimic the actual historical campaign; otherwise why name it Guadalcanal?

Carriers in the slot is that always done in the gameplay? If so, it is not true to the basic history of the Campaign, is it?

What if the carrier’s fighter ranges were extended to allow them to combat over the slot without the carriers being there as apparently happened in the history of the Campaign?

Would that better portray the historical nature of the Guadalcanal campaign?

I am just puzzled by the lack of fidelity to the history.

• Official Q&A

In historical wargames, there is always a fine line to be walked between historical accuracy and game balance, playability and just plain fun.  There are always sacrifices that have to be made to history, unless you’re making a game that’s purely a historical simulation, which tend to be very long and complex.

A&A games were never intended to be historical simulations.  They are intended to be relatively light, fun games with a WW-II theme that evoke that conflict rather than recreate it.

• @Krieghund:

In historical wargames, there is always a fine line to be walked between historical accuracy and game balance, playability and just plain fun.  There are always sacrifices that have to be made to history, unless you’re making a game that’s purely a historical simulation, which tend to be very long and complex.

A&A games were never intended to be historical simulations.  They are intended to be relatively light, fun games with a WW-II theme that evoke that conflict rather than recreate it.

And Krieghund hits the nail on the head again.  :mrgreen:

• absolutely, it’s historical until you start play.  After that you’ve changed the timeline.

I think the bigger question about the accuracy of the games deals with “Are things able to happen that happened historically” 
       Were Carriers able to go into the Slot?  Yes, they feasibly could have, but the 2 sides historically choose not to do so.  If you had to do everything that did happen, then you already know the outcome.

• Yes, I understand that murraymoto, but if the game forces you to rely on tactics or strategies that were obviously not employed by either side, what kind of a simulation is that even though I know Axis & Allies is not supposd to be a simulation on the order of Campaign for North Africa, the old SPI monster?

I love playing these Axis and Allies games and I will gladly overlook certain aspects of historical lapses in favor of playability, but does it not strike people as odd that you are forced to employ carriers in a manner that no sane Admiral in either the Japanese or American fleet would have employed them in the actual battle?

I am no naval expert, but I know the dangers of sending in a carrier group in a severely restricted body of water as is The Slot.

We don’t send an American carrier group into the Persian Gulf do we? Or do we?

Where do we draw the line or should draw the line?

Am I being just too “historical?”  :?

I really appreciate all your comments, thanks.

• @Shakespeare:

We don’t send an American carrier group into the Persian Gulf do we? Or do we?

Yes we do.

• Your trying to be too historical. Carriers in the slot are not always doomed…mostly but not always.

Other members have also had issues with the games historical accuracy, but as has been said if you make the game to accurate or realistic so that the Japanese player will always lose, who would want to play as the Japanese???

What’s cool about A&A?  Conquering the USA with the Japanese.
    In real life they could not finish China, didn’t want to go into Australia, only nibbled at India, but something cool about marching down Pennsylvania Avenue with my Samurai Sword unsheathed demanding unconditional surrender.  :-D

• Is that right?

If you do send a carrier down The Slot, it will be sunk not always, but most of the time??

Is that what most of the players have discovered?

What percentage of the time does that occur?

Again thanks for listening to my questions, I appreciate all your answers.

• the percentage is gonna be changed on what you bring with it to screen, how many subs they can throw at you to target them and how much general firepower they can bear on them.  Being in the Slot means they could be more open to airfields and artillery as well.  there’s not going to be a guarantee on it either way.  If you want to use the aircraft on your CV offensively though you have to be fairly close to do it, with their flight limitations so you may want to bring them closer into the fight.  if you can rely on airstrips more, you may need CVs more for defense.
      My play with GC is limited, but I’ve taken CVs into the Slot and they survived and I have also lost them.  But I also kept them to the sides at times and had them taken out too.  wherever they are they are targets because of the VP attached to them and since it takes double the hits for BBs, they are more likely to be shot at with subs.

• Thanks

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m