Germany should build 10 units a turn

• What the title says.  Germany should always get out 10 units a turn, because between having to invade one major power and fend off two others from behind, they are going to constantly suffer attrition, and while getting more expensive units might allow for greater offensive pushes, it won’t matter if all of the sudden you run out of units.

I think this is true even on turn 1.  Germany should get 10 Infantry on G1, because they have no real chances of taking Moscow on G3 or G4 anyways, and those 10 Infantry will be able to reach Moscow themselves by G5.  Unless Axis seriously intends to capture Caucasus on I2/G3 and hold it till I3/G4, a 6 Tank build is going to be of limited use.  However, the earlier that Infantry are purchased, the more likely you are to get full use out of them.

As for G2 and beyond, you have several options, assuming that you have around 52 Income (Karelia/Baltic States/East Poland/Ukraine), for each 2 income less than that you can build an Infantry instead of a Tank:
    10 Tanks: If you get this G2 and G3, you can hit Moscow on G5 with your builds from G1 through 3, for a net of 20 Tanks and 10 Infantry, excluding what you started with.  This should probably be enough to kill Russia, but it doesn’t leave much for Defense.
    6 Infantry, 2 Tanks, 2 Bombers (Good SBR and defense)
    5 Infantry, 3 Tanks, 1 Fighter, 1 Bomber (Balanced)
    4 Infantry, 4 Tanks, 2 Fighters (Efficient offense)
    7 Infantry, 3 Fighters (slow but very efficient both on offense and defense)

• I fully support the German focus on ground forces. But you don’t have to train 10 inf on G1 to do so. How about sending half your German army (supported by Italian groundforces) to Ukrain and building a factory there as soon as possible? That would give you the opportunity to:

• train infantry at your eastern frontier
    • have the much needed extra production capacity for Germany (imagine a Germany crashing out 12 ground units/turn)
    • it would virtually secure your positions against the SU, giving you your second NO

The main advantages of a factory in Ukrain is however: it’s safe. There’s no way the UK can hope to take over that one (contrary to IC’s in France or Poland).

• I like adding an IC in France on the second turn and re-enforcing the hell out of it. I buy mainly men the first turn and help support a France defense by landing fighters (German and Italian) there to ward off any potential early allied invasion. I keep putting out 6 men a turn there so that by UK3/US3 or later when the allies could launch a fair sized invasion I have way too big a force that they can’t really take it over!

• @Enigmatic_Decay:

I like adding an IC in France on the second turn and re-enforcing the hell out of it. I buy mainly men the first turn and help support a France defense by landing fighters (German and Italian) there to ward off any potential early allied invasion. I keep putting out 6 men a turn there so that by UK3/US3 or later when the allies could launch a fair sized invasion I have way too big a force that they can’t really take it over!

Wouldn’t the Allies respond by building all Bombers, then SBRing you to death while Russia kills you from behind?

The French complex does have the nifty effect of letting you build in the Mediterranean.  Bulgaria can as well.

• @Andy1984:

I fully support the German focus on ground forces. But you don’t have to train 10 inf on G1 to do so. How about sending half your German army (supported by Italian groundforces) to Ukrain and building a factory there as soon as possible?

Because at the price of 15 IPCs on G2, equivalent to 5 Infantry or 3 Tanks, you are able to build 2 Infantry/Tanks a turn from G3 onwards 2 spaces closer towards Russia.  That is of very limited worth, and if you go through all that trouble securing the area, why not just take the Caucasus instead?  I fail to see how it it better than the 10 Infantry build.  By the time you build your first pair of Infantry/Tanks in Ukraine, all 10 Infantry will have been able to reach that Ukraine if they wished anyways.

• industrial complex:
    building an industrial complex is alway a very important decision. Industrial complexes should only be built in two instances: you cant place enough units or the IC is overseas. Building an IC makes you invest 15 IPC without affecting the game the current and next round. Compare that with 5 inf that defend your factory this round and can be used the next. Therefore only build an IC if absolutely neccesary. I’ve more than once seen a factory that was more a burden than a boost.

fortress europe theory:
    putting the focus on ground units is the strategy with the best cost/combat potential tradeoff. However, this strategy forces you to eighter defend every coastal terrain by putting units there or always keeping a backstrike force at hand. Here arises the question, if it wouldnt have been cheaper to sink his navy than keeping land units in reserve.

• BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH GASP BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

What happened to YOUR Grand German Naval strategy that you’ve been touting for the last week around here???  :roll:

• @I:

What happened to YOUR Grand German Naval strategy that you’ve been touting for the last week around here???   :roll:

Strategy?  I have like 10 of them.  The more boring and practical ones got skipped over, while I posted the more daring and ambitious strategies.

German Strategies (NOs yes, Techs no):
    1. Build an IC in Western Europe, uses it to threaten Britain, defend Western Europe, and capture Caucasus
    2. Build a Carrier/2 Transports in the Baltic and uses it to threaten Britain while taking Karelia.
    3. Build 6 Tanks, capture Karelia on G2, capture Caucasus on I2, send the 6 tanks to reinforce on G3, then SBR Russia to death via 6 Infantry 2 Tank 2 Bomber builds or 5 Infantry 3 Bomber builds.
    4. Build 10 Infantry on G1, take Karelia on G1, build 10 Tanks G2 and G3, then slam whole force into Moscow on G5.
    5. Build 4 Infantry, 4 Tanks, and 2 Fighters a turn, slowly capture Russia
    6. Build solely Tanks, while relying on Italy to provide a defense against Britain with large Infantry stacks.

• I agree with putting down as many units as possible as Germany and even Italy because the UK and USA can easily muster a massive bomber force for cutting down your production in just a few rounds.  I personally hate to lose the Baltic fleet because you just opened the path for naval invasions with minimal counterattacks.  I know the airforce could strike those fleets but that means they are not attacking Russians.  I strongly favor a ship/land unit build first turn to protect your fleet from a turn 1 UK slaughter fest.  Heck if Italy saves 3 IPCs and meets their NOs while also taking Trans-Jordan, they could build a carrier and have one powerful fleet to contend with.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m